Tips for a small bankroll in to becoming a pro poker player

D

dumpy620_84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually like this post and hope that someone with some personal experience in this matter would post a lenghty comment. It would be good to have a nice strategy session on this topic because everyone would like to start with a small roll and have the patience to watch it balloon into something great.

A

alexb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pro?

Win $200 per day in order to be a professional? I just want to make sure I am understanding your statement correctly. Are there a lot of people on this site who are successful professional poker players?
I wouldn't say pro but for the last 6 months str8 I have made 3k or more/Meaning I cash out to attleast 5k every month ive been up to 7k

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont aim to be pro, that is a huge sweeping statement.

Aim to beat 4nl, then 10nl, then 20nl ............then see how you get on, break it down into smaller near term goals.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u should play some 0.50$ sng's 45 players
I would have thought that Single Table $0.5 S'n'Gs would be better for a beginner, less variance than the multi table ones.

R

rrph3rtbkr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u have to improve ur game daily, play more than 3 hours daily and read poker book , read startegy article on various site and analysis ur hand after u stop playing poker daily.
1.take note the spot where u made bad decision
2.how could u improve ur play when u had to make big decision in some spot
keep on playing

long_bong

long_bong

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything by Verneer on cards runners .com is great. His Mount Micro Series 1 2 and 3 turned me into a micro bankroll builder.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While general rule of 50-100 buy-ins is correct for sitngoes for online poker players who want to try to take poker seriously, I also think that playing style takes a role too.

If you're a loose-aggressive player, you will need more buy-ins than what most people recommend because you will be facing way more variance.

If you're conservative, tight-aggressive player, then you will be able to manage with common brm rules.

I personally like to have over 100 because I play very loose and when I am on downswing, I can lose a lot because I've had over 30 buy-ins of downswings at $2 sngs but when running hot, I've bumped up my bankroll so quickly that I blazed through $2 sngs by making over $300 and immediately moved upto $5 sngs before Black Friday occurred.

Another thing you need to factor is tilt control. How good is your tilt control. No matter how good player you are, if you tilt off easily, or if you are a type of player who still play under tilted mindset, then you will go broke easily if you use aggressive brm.

Bottomline, loose-aggressive players will need conservative bankroll management(50-100 buy-ins, even more).
Tight-aggressive conservative players can manage with aggressive bankroll management(20-30 buy-ins).

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management Poker Tips