Texas Hold 'em Strategies

J

jama

So, I've always believed that Poker was more of a psychology game. What are some of the mathematics or numerical strategies that you suggest new players start to learn?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
So, I've always believed that Poker was more of a psychology game. What are some of the mathematics or numerical strategies that you suggest new players start to learn?

Welcome to our community.
First of all, I want to assure you that our community is the best place for poker players. Here you will find everything you need to improve your skills and gain valuable experience. Please pay attention to our free course. This course will help you improve your skills and gain new knowledge.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/
In addition, if you are a fairly active member of our community, you will be able to get a number of benefits, such as access to our daily and weekly freerolls. I think you will find it interesting.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cardschat-freerolls-31/platinum-level-freeroll-club-sign-up-452868/
Good luck. :)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I had the same mindset too; I got into poker from the psychology first perspective too. Psychology probably plays less of a role in poker than most people think, but how it actually impacts poker is also probably different than how most expect.

Anyhow, as for math strategies/resources, I'm fairly simple myself. I downloaded the free poker calculator Equilab (pretty sure other free calculators also exist and pretty sure cardschat has one too), but you might also want to check out the free cardschat 30 Day course for fundamentals like how to calculate pot odds or outs (and lots more; a lot of which is not purely math related)

I may be biased to recommending this free course based on my experience with it and the freeroll at the end of it ;) but I'd recommend this course even if it didn't go exactly the way it did :)

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/cardschat-training-course-455641/

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

Assuming you mean beyond the basics of odds.
Range estimation and street by street range refinement is the most important math strategy for players today. Counting combos a very important part of that.

Then would be bluff frequency estimates and Minimum Defence Frequencies (MDF) based on those estimates.

Hope this helps
:):)

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to play a decent amout of poker hands, be very familiar with common situations, or you are very busy dealing the cards, so that psychology failed to be an important factor to consider in your poker battles.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Psychology is much more important in a no-limit game.

Math is much more important in a limit game.

When would you call a bet on the flop or turn if you had air in a limit game? Can't really bet enough to get your opponent to fold.

Of course psychology and math are important in both types of games but I hope I described some of the difference.

Good luck !

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing in position and pot odds are good topics to study.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think that psychology is important. Especially at the end of the tournament.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks

... for your seemingly simple question as it reminded of the 4 & 2 rule, if I remember correctly, which is to multiply your hand odds by 4 on the flop & 2 on the turn so if you have a flush draw on the flop that's 9 outs which is 36% & say for e.g like me at one time you had 15 outs lol that's 60% I had a 3k USD pot & I made the decision on the fly & didn't even utilize this simple equation but it turns out I was a favorite. *A pair + A Flush Draw + a potential 2 pair
So there ya go!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest looking into pot odds, folding odds, calling odds.