Still don’t understand pot odds

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does it include the amount of your call or not? I keep seeing it both ways. If there’s 100 in the pot and I have to call 50 am I getting 2:1 or 3:1?

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
play with any pot odds calculator mate , then you will understand the math behind it . Best of luck

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Does it include the amount of your call or not? I keep seeing it both ways. If there’s 100 in the pot and I have to call 50 am I getting 2:1 or 3:1?
It isn't pot odds you don't understand, it's mathematics. If you flop a straight draw and are up against top pair you are around 2 to 1 to make your straight. If you miss it on the turn you are around 4-1. Bearing in mind you may make the hand and still lose, how much are you willing to put in the pot?

If there is $100 in the pot after the turn and the guy bets $5000, you are clearly not getting the right price to call although he'll probably curse you if you do call and make it.

If there is $100 in the pot and you have $5 left, how can you afford not to call?

If you are playing in a tournament you may not call if you think by folding you can cash or move up the payout ladder.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there’s 100 in the pot and I have to call 50 am I getting 2:1 or 3:1?
You are getting 2:1. Note that the pot size include your opponents bet. So in this example the pot was 50, and they bet 50, which is full pot, creating a new pot of 100. Since you pay 50 to potentially win 150, you need 33,33% equity to make a small profit. In reality you want to a bit more to compensate for rake in cash games and ICM in tournaments.

P

plusia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You are getting 2:1
Because you if you lose you lose 1
and if you win you win 2 ;)
That simple :cool:

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot odds refer to the ratio of the amount of money in the pot compared to the amount of money you need to put in to continue playing the hand. It is used to help you determine whether or not a certain play is profitable in the long run.

When calculating pot odds, it is important to consider the total amount of money in the pot, including the amount of the call you are considering. For example, in your scenario where there is $100 in the pot and you need to call $50, the pot odds would be 3:1. This means that for every $1 you put in, you have the potential to win $3 if you make the call and end up winning the pot.

It is also worth noting that pot odds do not take into account the strength of your hand or the likelihood of your hand winning. They simply provide a way to evaluate the profitability of a call based on the amount of money in the pot and the cost of the call. Therefore, it is important to combine pot odds with other factors such as hand strength and position in order to make the best decision at the table.

Overall, understanding pot odds is a crucial aspect of poker strategy and can greatly impact your decision-making and overall success at the table. So, always consider the pot odds before making a call.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds refer to the ratio of the amount of money in the pot compared to the amount of money you need to put in to continue playing the hand. It is used to help you determine whether or not a certain play is profitable in the long run.

When calculating pot odds, it is important to consider the total amount of money in the pot, including the amount of the call you are considering. For example, in your scenario where there is $100 in the pot and you need to call $50, the pot odds would be 3:1. This means that for every $1 you put in, you have the potential to win $3 if you make the call and end up winning the pot.

It is also worth noting that pot odds do not take into account the strength of your hand or the likelihood of your hand winning. They simply provide a way to evaluate the profitability of a call based on the amount of money in the pot and the cost of the call. Therefore, it is important to combine pot odds with other factors such as hand strength and position in order to make the best decision at the table.

Overall, understanding pot odds is a crucial aspect of poker strategy and can greatly impact your decision-making and overall success at the table. So, always consider the pot odds before making a call.
See? In this very thread the answers are different.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's 3 to 1. $100 in the pot + $50 bet. You also need 25% equity to make this call not 33%.

Because if you win you're winning the pot ($100), their bet ($50) and your bet ($50.)

J

James2023

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Heres some information that may help improve your game.
(Preflop odds)
27d07982-17b2-11e6-83cc-9efd8391e25d.UTG.png

(Odds and Outs)
Mind you your odds change based up the amount of people sitting at the table.

Attachments

• outs.png
    outs.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 5
M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heres some information that may help improve your game.
(Preflop odds)
27d07982-17b2-11e6-83cc-9efd8391e25d.UTG.png

(Odds and Outs)
Mind you your odds change based up the amount of people sitting at the table.
You’re aware this has NOTHING to do with pot odds, right?

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot odds refer to the size of the total pot and the size of the bet. In the situation, its 3:1 if you call. Odds could change depending on action behind which could change the pot in the current round. Hope it helps a bit. I tried. :)

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So half say 2:1 and half say 3:1. Very helpful

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So half say 2:1 and half say 3:1. Very helpful
Your question is kind of ambiguous which I think is causing the confusion.

Some are reading your question and taking "100 in the pot" to mean what's in the middle as well as villains bet, where others such as myself are seeing it as $100 pot but another 50 for your villains bet.

I also misread your question, you asked if "You count your bet" and I read it as "do you count villains bet"

You count the villains bet but not your bet in terms of pot odds. However, you add your bet to the equity calculation along with the pot and villains bet.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question is kind of ambiguous which I think is causing the confusion.

Some are reading your question and taking "100 in the pot" to mean what's in the middle as well as villains bet, where others such as myself are seeing it as $100 pot but another 50 for your villains bet.

I also misread your question, you asked if "You count your bet" and I read it as "do you count villains bet"

You count the villains bet but not your bet in terms of pot odds. However, you add your bet to the equity calculation along with the pot and villains bet.
Well that clears it right up. LOL!

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well that clears it right up. LOL!
Lol. I don't know if you're being sarcastic because my post is a word salad (I haven't slept in 24 hours+!) or if it did clear it up! lol.

Just in case to clarify.

Playing $25/$50

Small blind open limps hero checks from the bb

Pot $100

Villain bets $50 on the flop, we are getting 3:1 pot odds.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
yes. because some of the members responding don't know what they're talking about, but choose to respond anyways. Others do know exactly what they're talking about (< listen to those ones). You figure out which is which (same thing you do on a poker table)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
there is a calculator and you don't need to listen to those people who do not know what a bank is and know the bank and the right call to get a bank is easy to calculate so just open a calculator on the Internet and the whole problem will be solved

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Lol. I don't know if you're being sarcastic because my post is a word salad (I haven't slept in 24 hours+!) or if it did clear it up! lol.

Just in case to clarify.

Playing $25/$50

Small blind open limps hero checks from the bb

Pot $100

Villain bets $50 on the flop, we are getting 3:1 pot odds.
You don't need to understand precisely. Imagine you're playing a no limit cash game. There is $50 in the pot; you have the second best flush, and the other player bets $5,000. Would you call? Now imagine you have only $5 in front of you and again he bets $5,000. How can you not call? Don't worry too much about the actual odds because then you come to implied odds before the showdown. Just make sure you get value.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator