Small pairs..

StomatologT

StomatologT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buddies, small pairs, like 55, 22, have been coming in hand a lot lately. And here at their sight I try not to be afraid to make three-bet, hoping to see a set, but the set is not such a frequent phenomenon, so most often I just press fold after the flop, when some aggression begins. :(

So, I need your advice. What's the right way to play such hands? :confused:

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:DSmall pairs are good to play when many players enter the hand, Generally all players enter the hand with high cards small cards can give you higher percentage of winning in a poem a hand with many That is, when many players enter the hand and have a small pair, you have a good chance of hitting a trip or a poker with that small pair.:D

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play the little pairs smartly

The super low-no hope of connecting pairs you mentioned can be played, to sneak attack the high cards. It is infrequent, but the little pairs can hit, especially, if other players are holding high cards. Players get angry when they miss and your small pair stands strong.
Stack size, how much you can lose, and position are important to small pairs. If other players act like they have a monster, you may want to try a min bet, and see where it goes.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what you are playing, tournaments or cash games, in a tournament it depends on your position, on the size of the stack, on the stage of the tournament, in cash games small pocket pairs can be played in any situation, well, except for the situation when a broadway flop is open on the table :D

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like its ideal to set mine with those at 20-40 bb stacks.
Above that becomes too risky to get set over set busted
and bellow 20 you want to conserve your chips and search for
a better spot.
With 10-15 or less depending on position and situation
just jam preflop.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I love small pairs,especially 2 2 and 3 3 with these pairs when the 3 card of my small pair comes on the flop,lm the king of the hand.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are different opinions regarding setmining with small pairs. Some claim that it is profitable from a stack-to-pot ratio of 10, others go rather towards SPR of 20 to counter the risk of facing a higher set.

Especially in microstakes, I think there is little reason to make a preflop 3b with these small pairs. If you hit a set, you can still get your opponent's full stack sufficiently often.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the majority of players looking to play premium pairs/AK/AQ or paint, low pairs have been for many years the go to hands for many top professionals in competition because of the skill involved in playing those type of cards.
Players are looking for equitable spots to float a 22/33/44/55/66/77 hand and naturally for most, folding a pocket pair of any description can be difficult, i see many players on here call huge pre flop raises just to see a flop which always makes me smile but obviously carries with it - huge risk/reward.
So what are we looking for when holding such a hand, we are looking for a polarized board, an opponent who may be TAG or just for a cheap pre flop game in which to take a look and maybe progress if the pot is cheap to the river.
Small pairs and how to play them for me is the greatest skill in poker outside of patience.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Most of the time I don't play small pairs from early position. This applies to both cash games and tournaments!!!

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's not profitable to play small pairs in 3bet pots... Even if you hit a set, it's not guaranteed that you'll win 100bb

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
A set falls on average once out of 8, how to play the pairs depends on the position and also on the profile of the opponents.

If there is a strong raise from an opponent, it's not correct to call to hope to see a set, in this situation I think it's necessary to fold.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t know about other players, but I have a lot of sets. True, I do not always and not use all pocket small pairs. It depends on many factors.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the concept is simple if you made a strong hand like a set , bet big to gain value now if you have a medium to weak hand play smaller pots :)

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I play these hands by calling a raise. I don't see much point in 3-betting. If the opponent has something good, he will pay anyway.

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is something my wife and I have discussed often and still struggle with the best way to play these cards. I’m interested to read others responses. More often then not I fold the low pair depending on other factors like position.

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on where you are in the game for me...if it’s early and you are in late position with no callers before you then yes I raise. If early position I might call. But if the game is further along I might not especially if close to the payouts

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Buddies, small pairs, like 55, 22, have been coming in hand a lot lately. And here at their sight I try not to be afraid to make three-bet, hoping to see a set, but the set is not such a frequent phenomenon, so most often I just press fold after the flop, when some aggression begins. :(

So, I need your advice. What's the right way to play such hands? :confused:

I like to try to hit the set with a 3bet pre.

But remember to calculate the odds, sometimes the action is not +EV.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I try to see a cheap flop with small pairs. If everyone folds to me on the button or cutoff I would 3-bet. But in a multiway pot I try to see a flop and to hit a set.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pairs should be played like suited connectors, that is, get in the pot cheaply with multiple opponents, hoping to hit a set and get paid by one or more opponents, but too often, players with them would play with too much aggression and losing too much when shouldn't.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depend of the stack you have depend of lot of thing.......but it could pay if you took your 3 of kind......

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play small pairs in position. It also helps to study your ranges, you're not playing those low pairs from every position or blind level. If you are, it's common to call and fold to a 3 bet with those low pairs.

F

fsquid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play these hands by calling a raise. I don't see much point in 3-betting. If the opponent has something good, he will pay anyway.

that's my approach also. Will also play them close the money bubble when those with no many blinds get tight.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I just Check and fold if no set

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't tell you how many times I get busted late in a tourn from early position in a fold or shove situation where someone calls me with Ax or just having two overs and I'm booted out.

And I'm not talking about short stacked but like 5x+ the BB and I still get called by someone and get sent to the rail.

I will not play small pairs especially in early position/first to enter a pot situations.

Better to go with a big ace/big cards because if you have an ace/big cards then its less likely someone will have them so its easier to take down the antes when they're actually worth something late in a tourn.

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With low pocket pairs I like to call or check to see the flop. Then check to see the turn and river. To see if I get a three of a kind. If I don’t and someone else raises I would probably fold.