Small pairs

Redbull199030

Redbull199030

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what is the best way to play such small pairs of similarities 22,33,44,55 your opinion?

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My own opinion it depends what position do you have. On late position I play these hands only if nobody open raised before. On early position I mostly fold. But sometimes I'm playing any trying to catch three of a kind on the flop then it gives you really strong hand and you can steal the pot

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on opponents and position, in the early and middle ones, most likely a pass (if a full table) on a short one can be raised

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the importance of the game. In freerolls, I can easily call all-in with such a card. But basically in any position I call BB. I raise small raises in important tournaments. There is no way to use allin.

nurjemal

nurjemal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not just small or large pairs
all pairs 70% wins

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s nice to see a flop with them, and it’s easy to play with them. If you hit yours set , you can win a big pot, if you don’t, it’s easy to throw them away. I play them like call, and don’t play them from early position

B

Boreyko506

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to see the flop if give rivals go stake. But in fact it depends on the position and the opponents at the table

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not just small or large pairs
all pairs 70% wins

No clue how you think pairs are 70% winners. Small pairs are mainly a 50 50 flip against any overs.
ya see way too many over playing smaller pairs. Im like couple others on here. depending on position and callers i may just limp or small raise. If i miss its easy to toss

T

thomaspen2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think just call in any position if there is a nice floop like a trio make a bet if some one bet raice again and all in. If you dont have a trio you have to fold that it is how play a profesional but you can change your play for confuse your oponents

E

EvandroGatti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play these hands as cheap as possible in any position, but if there is a raise, depending of the position and size of raise I mostly fold.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When you are in an early position, it is best to fold on these pairs, when you are in a middle position, you can call, and in a late position you can raise. It depends on whether you play cash or a tournament. If this is a tournament, then the stage of the tournament, the size of your stack and the playing style of your opponents play a role. Well, if it’s cash, then such pairs can be played differently each time, so that it would be difficult for opponents to recognize your range.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pairs play well when there are a lot of players in the pot, if you collect a set, it will pay off well. I always play a call when there are three or more players in the pot, you need to take into account that your bet is not high in relation to your stack.
Also, a small pair is good against a single player when you are in a position, in such situations it is preferable to play a raise, and also keep an eye on the size of your stack.
With a not very strong one, you don't need to tie yourself to the pot.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's hard. I play small pairs all ways different times and positions. From all in to fold and everything in between.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone.

Regarding the issue of low pairs or small pairs, I think that, with a position and if nobody went up before, it would be necessary to raise (my idea would be a small raise, at most two and a half blinds). Here we have the problem that, since the raise is very low, there are probably several calls, but hey, I have read that it is better that way because if we link the set we will earn enough money. In first positions I doubt that I would play with small pairs, my big question is in middle positions.
Sorry if I am saying things already known or wrong but I am learning.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that the game is on the small pairs depends on the bankroll, your position and good luck, I won a freeroll with 55.

Dacruz27

Dacruz27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to see the flop when I can but I rarely play them when I'm utg

A

Amdho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think too, 50/50 if you are two players, good raise to nice sit, or call for limp, nothing to flop, fold.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play them and not raise, hope to catch on the flop for trips, and hope someone has high pair so I can destroy them. :)

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to play PP (Pocket Pair) is to see them as part of our preflop range and not as individual hands that must be played differently, for example, our ranges of OR (Open Raise) have a certain amount of PP depending on the position and the % we play (Tight or Loose). Then we must identify the postflop situations that are beneficial for PP. This is to me the best prospect to play.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early position limp in and hope for the home run. In late position you can try to buy, but I still don't go crazy. At best you're in a race.
Generally, get in as cheap as you can.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many things to consider here.

Tour or cash?
What position? What situation? What stack size? Can't you shove 33 from SB with 15bb stack against aggressive BTN opener who raises in every opportunity?

If in tour and I have a healthy stack I always raise no matter my position with any pocket pair if I'm the first to act. I fold if in MP if someone open raises, I call if on BTN or BB.
I shove if I have 10bb from any position.
If there are several limpers in front of me I limp too xD. (I never open limp, and I hate to limp over others too but I can't deny the odds and I'm not interested in raising that big or just fold)
And many other things that always depending on too many factors.

In cash I have almost the same behavior. Of course I'm always 100bb or deeper and there are way less factors to consider before I take action.

Last edited:
mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People invest too much into small pairs. Same with suited cards. You may call a raise to take a flop, then find yourself fishing for another card depending on the bet size. If I'm in the pot and miss the flop I will generally throw these cards away to a bet. But then I am not a good player

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Pairs

I think all pocket pairs 8 and under present a variety of opportunities depending on blind level, position and chip stack. I usually try to play these pairs with a limp if possible or call of a small raise just to see the flop, I don't call anything beyond the flop unless I catch or my pair dominates the board. But, as always in this game I have been pleasantly surprised and horribly destroyed with pocket pairs. I do prefer them to weak Aces or any other connected cards. I do think that my most losses with pocket pairs has been with 10 10, just never seems to play well for me.:confused: