Small Pairs

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think long term, not short term payback with small pairs. There is approximately a 1 in 8 chance of flopping a set so don't arbitrarily inflate the pot but at the same time, make sure you aren't allowing your fears to keep you from winning some big pots. Also, look for opportunities to mix in a few semi-bluffs with your small pairs to increase your odds of winning with them. Sometimes you can play small pairs much the same as you would suited middle connectors. Small raise to enter pot and then, if say, the only caller is one of the blinds then try to occasionally represent the Ace or King on the flop. Just don't over commit to the pot--as stated previously. These are just general principles and should be adjusted as you gain more insight to your particular table.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pairs should be played when there are a lot of players in the game, from four or more, and when small bets, for example if one player went to raise 3BB and three more players are called, then this is a good opportunity to go into the game with a small pair. If we catch a set then this game will pay off many times, and if we do not catch the 3BB is not a big loss for the stack. So you should play your stack is average or above.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have almoxt given up playing small pairs. The one exception being if I'm sitting in the BB and I get a "free" play. The reason ? One of your oppinents is likely to pair up one of his cards and you will be beaten by a higher pair. I'd rather play high connectoes rather than them anyday
I play small pairs only when there is a small bet in tournaments, then I try to look at the flop to see if I have a match or not, in a cash game I rarely play small pairs so as not to lose a lot of money to big pairs, but sometimes when I have a big stack in the game, sometimes I can play on small pairs, but this happens very rarely with me!

JopyJoost

JopyJoost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have problems playing small pairs. I play them with caution. If everyone checks I usually check along through the flop, turn and river. Once some one calls or raises I make a disciplined fold. If someone raises pre-flop I make a disciplined fold. Even if I make a set with small pairs I still play with caution. I also take into consideration whether the cards have been good to me. When in doubt.....fold is my choice.

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pairs are great in a multi-way pot without a 3-bet or if it's a dead flop like QQ2 or 238 and you think you might be ahead. It's a legitimate way to win the hand. My leak in poker was that I was opening with a small pair but then calling 3-bets. I don't do that any more. It's alright to bet small pairs in late position and then putting out a c-bet to a good flop, but to call 3-bets is a way to loose a lot of money believe me - depending on what you're playing, how deep you are etc.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pairs can be deceptively profitable though if played correctly. If you're losing too much with them, you're probably playing OOP too much with them when the key element to winning with small pairs is position.

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I play small pairs is at the minimum try and hang around for the flop. No trips and top heavy flop I usually check fold. Loads of low cards on the flop gives you a few more options.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually just set mine with small pairs and expect to fold if I miss on the flop. But if you're short they can become good hands to jam with. Giving up on them completely will just limit your range and if you play with the same people alot they'll pick up on it pretty fast.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pairs theory and in play

Small pairs, the probabilities are bad, everything on board is over card, etc. They are hard to play, but tempting. How often have you seen Ace high be taken down by a low pair, or if board pairs, that low pair working for the winner?
The biggest beat is when your high pockets are shoved, and small pair catches the board, 222, 333, 444, 444, 555 has taken me out of so many tourneys, when I had AA or KK.

The small pairs, play at your own risk, and if it's your day, your reward.

Alex1296

Alex1296

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, completely abandon the drawing of fed couples is not correct. Yet against such hands as AK,AQ, AJ we are often ahead!

:ciao:

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I'm not playing small pairs either ... however after having made a reading of my opponents and if I am on the button or in the blinds and nobody is into the pot .. I would try to steal the blinds with a small pair ...!