Small Pairs

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have almoxt given up playing small pairs. The one exception being if I'm sitting in the BB and I get a "free" play. The reason ? One of your oppinents is likely to pair up one of his cards and you will be beaten by a higher pair. I'd rather play high connectoes rather than them anyday

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
That's how I do when I have small pairs, you have little chance of winning.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have almoxt given up playing small pairs. The one exception being if I'm sitting in the BB and I get a "free" play. The reason ? One of your oppinents is likely to pair up one of his cards and you will be beaten by a higher pair. I'd rather play high connectoes rather than them anyday
If you feel like giving up on small pairs, then you may be playing them too often OOP.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
But I rather prefer small pairs and tell you that they are a better option than two high cards to not have to :dancing2:recover ... Couple never lose. :eek:

Sobewan

Sobewan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super Short

They can do real damage in super short handed situations, say a max of four players, but you must be willing to risk all your chips on avoiding bigger starting pairs. If you can isolate against big starting (unpaired) hands and put enough of their stack at risk with a big raise following a low flop then you'll get a boost in value as they fold or risk too much on bad calls. It's tough when a type of hand runs bad for a while, but it may be the strategy causing losses rather than the hand itself.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't have to play them every time, but if you can see some cheap flops with them or get good odds to do so, you'll find yourself with very disguised sets to make your opponents bleed.

A

aleksbiz2012

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just in small pairs you need to play neatly and not risk the whole stack. It happens quite well, more than once on the flop, I have a set that turns into a full house.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament, on most tables, I raise. It still depends on the table. Because against good players tight and aggressive, small pairs out of position are not very playable. most of the time, it is better to spend. In the middle position, if no one has revived before you, it may be worth trying to go see a cheap flop.

playing your little pairs depends on your position, as well as the placing of others. Caution is therefore required. The first rule is that in the face of a very strong raise, it is strongly advised to put them down.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not play them in early position as much and try not to invest too much but they are a major hand if they set and ahead of ak offsuit preflop! But opponents could have an overpair which is the biggest risk of investing too much.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set mining is a very legitimate strategy for cheap flops. It's one of the primary factors I consider when determining my preflop bet size and post flop play. I want to push out hands like 55, so I'm asking myself, "did I price out small pairs" when determining my opponents range.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
I play the small pairs upto 3BB bet, also depending on the stage of the tourney.
Only to see a flop.
After flop if no set is made, will fold to any bet.
Like the other day I had 44
There was a 2BB bet preflop which was called by 3 players, rest all folded.
Flop J48
I went all in and was called by 1 player and the other folded.
That player had JJ
And I was out of the tourney:y::y:

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to watch the flop as cheaply as possible with these cards to catch a set, if there was a raise on pre-flop - I fold.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Small pairs are a good hand, and they should be played, but with great care, without investing a lot of money in the bank, especially from early positions !!!

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed, set mining is one of my favorite things to do in poker. :D

For me, it's like playing a slot machine almost. I usually scream at my screen on the flop for the card that I need to make my set! And it almost always gets paid since the hand is so disguised! :alien:

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small pairs are not difficult you just cannot invest a lot unless they hit for the set and even then you have to be careful.

First - in Normal Open and fold to a 3-bet.
Limpers consider a raise in the button otherwise limp behind.
Call in position and defend the blinds after raise to ~3BB.

Flop without hitting the set or a straight C-bet carefully and fold to any bet or show of strength.

Set or straight bet normally since you probably do not have top set or the nut straight. Probably fold again to any show of strength.

Turn
without the set or a straight check / fold. With the set or straight measure your hand and if you're confident in your having the best hand then over bet to take the hand here DO NOT GIVE A CARD! If you're not confident about having the best hand then check - fold and wait for a better spot.

Lose small pots and win the big ones.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This all depends on the different situations. You need to understand, if you have a small pair and someone raise you too much, it,s better just to fold this hand, because you can be already behind him.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've won AND lost the most money against small pairs. I always lose when my opponent makes his set and I always win when he doesn't. They really make a lot when someone makes the big pre-flop call against Aces and hits the goldmine flop.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should play them if get a fair price to see the flop, if you hit a set you're going to get paid big time, set-mining can be really profitable.

A

abyk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I've learned is to avoid playing small players when you are after the button. A lot of times you get raised, and calling with a low pair isn't great. Even if someone is bluffing, your odds aren't great.

However, if you are in trouble and need to shove, it's worth it. Limping in and trying to hit is also not bad

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game sparingly since got incredible folds and melancholic eliminations with small pairs, have been eliminated even hitting the crack.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I fold small and mid pair quite often. The only time I play them is when you can isolate someone.

Drhat63

Drhat63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't give up on small pairs, the damage they can do, when they improve can be crippling. get in there and see the flop or as many cards for cheap, you might have to get creative to get there though.

S

Shrop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet large or all in. .or fold to eliminate donks with 3 k. That get 3 kk in river

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think small pairs require a lot of intuition and skill. When I see them played on tv, they are used effectively in tense situations where the villain is trying to bluff but the hero has a good read. Truth is, I'm not there, or anywhere close, so I have to understand what my abilities are. Having said that, it is also true that you do not improve until you practice with the things you are weak at. If I play small pairs the same and don't try anything new, then I'll keep playing awful.

S

Shrop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

Hello everyone.. .my welcome message. ..🤔🤔✌✋👊🤘👌🖕😊