Small pair. What to do?

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small Pairs (2s-6s) should only be played in late position. If you have raisers in mid or early position you should just be calling. At least then you have postion on your side. You are then hoping to hit a set but if you dont and the action before you is check you hit a half pot bet and the majority of the time you will get folds from early if they call remember they may not have hit. That is where the continuation bet comes in, So they call the flop bet then check the turn you bet again something similar to your flop bet if they call and check the river then you can check you may be behind but dont have to lose anymore chips.

But you may win the pot because they was just calling on AK or AQ and missed so you have built a nice little pot.

Haze777s

Haze777s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do with 22, 33, 44..? OK, it depends on a situation, it's not the same when most players folded their cards, or when you're at the dealer's spot and like 4 people already went all in...but generaly, what are your experiences? Mine are not so good 👎
I play them with a raise, 4 bet, to see what people are holding, what cards

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It largely depends on which tables I play and with which stack. The position also plays an important role. I usually call small raises. If the flop doesn’t have another card for me and my opponent raises, I easily throw a pair.

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you say nice, it depends on the situation and what is being played, but generally in most cases these are fold cards ... but of course let it come into play :)

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always enter the game with small pairs, regardless of my position at the table, if it is not too expensive (up to 4BB). With a well-camouflaged set, I can easily double my stack. If I am not lucky, I can also easily exit the game.

In my opinion Mara has it correct. Take the flop. I'm always flat calling up to roughly 5BB maybe more depending on table tendencies. Flat call and see the flop. Hit your set then play it however you think you can extract as much value as possible. Miss on the flop and im check folding most everytime.

Good Luck to All:cool:

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you do with 22, 33, 44..? OK, it depends on a situation, it's not the same when most players folded their cards, or when you're at the dealer's spot and like 4 people already went all in...but generaly, what are your experiences? Mine are not so good 👎
In tournaments it is very important to play small pairs correctly - they practically print money when you know what to do. We only briefly discussed how to play them according to the size of the stack. Recall the key points: When playing in deep stacks, it is possible to both open and call small pocket pairs. Avoid calling against early and middle positions. Avoid calling with effective stacks less than 30bb. It is advantageous to 3-bet to push as a shorty, especially against late positions.

fantata666

fantata666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as you say 6 brother it depends on the position in what amount and what kind of 4 you have on my hand just to pay or to wait for 4 to see a flop and then to think how to play if I 4am something or have some success

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the flop with small pocket pairs, you are far ahead or far behind. What to do next? Again two answers to this question. You can reset or you can continue the game.

12345djon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like to play with small pairs, the more I throw them online with other players.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really think this depends on a lot of things, but if you have 30bbs or more you can limp in early position and set mine - or raise in late position.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try as cheap as possible to see the flop. I can also call a standard raise if I play in a position or call the opponent's raise. If the stack is short, then it is possible to put all-in from any position.

K

KickerSharp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building small pot with limped small pairs is good idea in poker tons depends on how many callers though

nicuchico

nicuchico

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in early game if a had this hand on early position I fold, in middle and late position I open raise

-20bbs I fold early position, open raise middle and late position and re rease shove in late position and SB/BB

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends a lot on the position you are at the table, the number of chips you have and your adversaries at the table and the size of the bet to be paid at the table, but I find these pairs interesting because if you get a set on the flop, your chances of taking the pot will be very high

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not taking small pockets up against more than 1 person usually

A

axel142

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like play small pairs in last positions and with more than 20 bb

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
as most reported, it depends on the situation and your position. I usually call, if it is small to see the flop. or if my stack is short I bet all in soon.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends on the table, stack and position.
I only play at position, when I am short stacked or when I playing against a very tight player, raising over him.

Last edited:
M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was Playing a $3.30 Bounty Hunter yesterday. Blinds was 1200/2400 I had 100BB + I was In HJ position but at the table i was on I was Chip leader Got dealt a pair of 3s UTG +1 Raised 3 BB , MP called so I went along and Called flop came As 3d 8c.
UTG+1 Goes all in MP calls but had chips left so I shoved MP called. UTG turns over Ac Jd , MP turns Ah Qs anyway long story short I got x2.5 on my stack and 2 Bounties.
Then I get a bully boy to my left so I check he shoves which works for me so I singled him out as a target. I got dealt AK os I had just called the flop at this time its 4000/8000 Im sat with 500000 chips hes got 250000 flop coms Kd 4c 7h I check he shoves I call he turns over K 9 off. A 9 never came out for the poor man.
When I was playing this tourney I started looking for the players that overshoved kept gong all in too much and I chose my spots really well. Till Finally I down to the last 2 tables my chips had gone down to 500000 and I get given AK off in the Cut off I just called the BB, SB folded and then BB goes all in 1.4 million chips I win and Im chip leader no cards on the table and he has been a bit of a bully so I call. He Turns Ks 8s Im thinking yes get in flop 5 6 7 rainbow Turn Ac now im dancing round the room river 9, What a bad beat.
But to your first question small pairs all way upto 10s even Js look what other people are doing. Get in as cheap as possible. If theres been a raise and re-raise then fold may be the best option. Ive seen pros fold Tens and Js before a flop.

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A good and tricky Question! Many of other Posts already reveal that it obviously depends on your Position and the Dynamics of the game before you / after you.

Usually with such small pairs I prefer so slow Play (call) in EP / MP or sometimes min-raise on the blinds. You Need to be careful and Ready to kiss that pair goodbye in case there's a wet board or you have a read on someone else having a strong Hand than you.

Example: if you have 44, and the flop Comes J J Q or 7 T A - I would be more than careful, as any of those Cards gives your Opponent the upper Hand against you already. Same if you have 44 and the flop Comes 4 J J - Looks awesome at first, Right? Pay close Attention if your Opponent calls or even re-raises every single bet from you until river - it might be that the Opponent has J4 and therefore a stronger fullhouse than you! Happened to me often enough..

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good and tricky Question! Many of other Posts already reveal that it obviously depends on your Position and the Dynamics of the game before you / after you.

Usually with such small pairs I prefer so slow Play (call) in EP / MP or sometimes min-raise on the blinds. You Need to be careful and Ready to kiss that pair goodbye in case there's a wet board or you have a read on someone else having a strong Hand than you.

Example: if you have 44, and the flop Comes J J Q or 7 T A - I would be more than careful, as any of those Cards gives your Opponent the upper Hand against you already. Same if you have 44 and the flop Comes 4 J J - Looks awesome at first, Right? Pay close Attention if your Opponent calls or even re-raises every single bet from you until river - it might be that the Opponent has J4 and therefore a stronger fullhouse than you! Happened to me often enough..

Your not Wrong there a Flop like J J 4 and 2 hands beat you straight away JJ and J4 then you get whatever comes on the turn and river thats 3 cards someone can pair up with thier Jack to put you a mile behind. You always need to pay attention to players get a good feel for what their personal range is because a lot of players wont go on J4.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends on the situation, but I usually call and see the flop, depending the bet that is put on, I analyze and if I think ok to see the turn I pay, but if not, i muck

R

ramignis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with such small pairs, it is better to go limp or call a small size in positions on opponents. in early positions, such hands are better to discard.

A

Alexkaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation . But if the opponents go all in on the preflop then I will throw these cards .