Small pair. What to do?

Sale_MLS

Sale_MLS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do with 22, 33, 44..? OK, it depends on a situation, it's not the same when most players folded their cards, or when you're at the dealer's spot and like 4 people already went all in...but generaly, what are your experiences? Mine are not so good đź‘Ž

SlyVII

SlyVII

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With smaller pairs, I try to play those pairs closer in position and if it goes into a multi-way shove, probably lean towards folding.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always enter the game with small pairs, regardless of my position at the table, if it is not too expensive (up to 4BB). With a well-camouflaged set, I can easily double my stack. If I am not lucky, I can also easily exit the game.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call a raise in late position and fold to 3 bet, fold in early position in the cash game. In the mtt: the same, but if i have less than 15 BB i would play push/fold.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like small pairs,probably just call or fold,maybe if situation is tight try all in or raise,but it is not that common.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Used to play them easily which means no aggresive. Off course there is a situation when play all in but in most situation play carefully.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I'll speak about tournaments.

It really depends on position, stack size and action.

For example with 100bb it's fine to open from any position or call a raise from late position.
20-30bb fold from early positions, fold if someone raises, open from late position (preferably on btn).
10bb shove from any position (12-15 I prefer to wait for better hand and i fold especially from early position), fold on raises. Or you can push all in against btn open from sb/bb.

This is just an example of how different situations can vary and it certainly doesn't cover much.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do with 22, 33, 44..? OK, it depends on a situation, it's not the same when most players folded their cards, or when you're at the dealer's spot and like 4 people already went all in...but generaly, what are your experiences? Mine are not so good đź‘Ž

I never go to the Bank with small pairs on my hands , I do not see the point of taking such risks, although sometimes I really want to

K

Kmason531

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In cash games especially high rake games you want to be mostly folding your small pairs in early position. The rake is just too high for these hands to be profitable in the long run. From the cutoff and button you can raise them but even from the CO you should still be folding 22-44 some times. I play 200NL and even there I only open 22 and 33 50%. I would estimate if I played 25NL or lower I'd never open them from UTG, and probably only 25% from the cutoff.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
In freerolls-all in,but in money tournaments I prefer to fold small pairs.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls-all in,but in money tournaments I prefer to fold small pairs.

Haha,but why all in in freerolls?
You will answer:I don't have nothing to lose!
And i will ask you:hmm why you play then?
Your answer:to win the money,
and then i will say why you go all in with small pocket of pair if you want to win.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise or call preflop. if I find a set I try to increase the pot and if it is not. I check or fold.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only call small pairs as long as there is no high raise in the pre-flop if someone raises in the pre-flop I fold

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If even one player before you goes all in you fold in a heart beat with small pairs, Basic poker.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

As you stated its a situational decision. EP with a low stack is an easy fold for me. But depends on the table and read I have on the other players as well. Late position I will call a limp or min raise and likely fold if a large raise (again depending on stack size and the players I am up against or at least my perception of those players).

Short stacked I may shove if I feel there is fold equity in the hand, if I can iso to one other caller I am happy with 22+ up against Ax kx etc. But again no standard move, it all depends on many factors and what I think my odds are at that particular moment ...

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in early postions I mostly fold these hands. But if I'm a chip leader and have a lot of blinds I limp no matter what position I have

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in early postions I mostly fold these hands. But if I'm a chip leader and have a lot of blinds I limp no matter what position I have

Why limp and no raise for 2x?
If you raise you have a chance to take it right there or with a cbet on flop whereas if you limp you 'll probably won't hit and lose your 1 blind or more blinds against the one that will raise.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. And there is an option to get into the set over. The profit from such a hand is small

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually if on the flop I do not get into the cards I usually fold, it depends on the position. In allin with such couples I won’t go.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such hands in the tournament in the initial stages I play through a raise, if before was raised then through a call.
According to statistics, getting a set on the flop is about 12%. The main thing is not to lose a lot if you could not catch the set.
If the stack is short and there is practically no chance to reach the prizes, then such a hand can be ideal for pushing in late positions and in the blinds.
Equity of such a hand versus offsuited cards is 51%, against suited 49%.
Against the older pair, the equity is 18%.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Small

I play small pairs small and hope to flop a set.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In early position, I fold up to 55 unless I'm at a very passive table where I know I can see a cheap flop. Otherwise I'm open raising from mid to late position. I will normally call an open raise, but I'm leaning towards a fold to a 3-bet.

podoloboq

podoloboq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When I have a combination with small pairs, then I try not to hastily, wait until the triple comes, or even quads!:ahhhhh:

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small Pairs (2s-6s) should only be played in late position. If you have raisers in mid or early position you should just be calling. At least then you have postion on your side. You are then hoping to hit a set but if you dont and the action before you is check you hit a half pot bet and the majority of the time you will get folds from early if they call remember they may not have hit. That is where the continuation bet comes in, So they call the flop bet then check the turn you bet again something similar to your flop bet if they call and check the river then you can check you may be behind but dont have to lose anymore chips.