Showing the Cards

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think showing your hand can be a valuable tool if used in the correct way against the correct opponent. This information can be used back against your opponent later.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not obligatory to show your cards if there is no showdown. But some players show them voluntarily for some specific reasons.
Sometimes it happens in friendly atmosphere just to minimize the frustration of the opponent. It is one way of saying “you did the right thing by folding”. It is a sportsman spirit just like winners shaking hands with losers at the end of the play. I like this attitude.
On occasions they show cards to fake a self image which can be used in later part of the game. It is also acceptable as it is within the rules of the game.
But how much it is justified if you force someone’s better hand to fold and then show your poor cards? It is like spraying salt on wounds. I consider it as one kind of teasing. And I don’t like it.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like giving away information for free. Make them pay. When they say, "will you show if I fold ?", I say, "I'll show if you call :) " I think some people show to say I'm so smart I bluffed you and others do it as strategy to catch someone next time by having a good hand but I still think it gives away info you don't need to give away.

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of the poker game, I sort of set myself to never show the cards after the finished game. I think it's more beautiful and mysterious.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that if the player shows his cards and switches gears afterwards than I really don't see a problem with that play, but personally I don't believe in giving out information about my hands and my play is not advanced enough to give out disinformation.

Aestheticzz

Aestheticzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually wouldn't show a hand voluntarily against good and thinking players as they don't need any free information.

A case can be made for showing to enhance an image and set up future plays.

For instance, when everyone folds to your standard raise and you show AA so they think you're playing tight, when you are really opening much wider but happened to have it that time.

You don't give much away since most will assume your raising range includes AA.

Seen a few CardPlayer articles on the topic so there is some good stuff out there.

Good luck to you! :D

I will show at times to set up future calls by enticing the players to think I am often bluffing.:cool:

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion showing hands can be a good strategy against a weak mind person, you will put him in TILT MODE and he will just try to get in pots with you (even with nothing). But if you see that the person will take notes to try get you pattern, just change gears when this person gets in the same pot as you.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I recently did a tournament because I played very passively, when I realized this I did a bluff, the opponent showed me his hand where he was winning, I took advantage and showed my cards but not to make fun of him only to try to make the rest of the players think that maybe it was not passive and thus be able to get benefit from it, I think that well applied is not a bad strategy, although I must say that despite be in the ITM in that tournament, I did not achieve the main objective that was to win it

Greetings and happy new year

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think about the players who show the cards after the opponents run away from the betting? Is it amateur stuff?

I do not believe it is amateur play. Showing cards can be deceiving as much as it can be a source of information.

For example, several times I showed my hand, which produced an opponent calling me out to be a 100% bluffer even saying it out loud during hands that he wasn't involved. Eventually, I used that to my advantage and several times from then on, got his entire stack.

My personal rule is to keep in mind hands that got to showdown and not the hands that a player deliberately showed. Difference is huge, and there is far more info in showdown hands!