Showing the Cards

O

ovanilton

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think about the players who show the cards after the opponents run away from the betting? Is it amateur stuff?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. I always make a note of what they show and what they did in the hand.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it to be amateur, I sometimes use this play trying to draw a call in a future hand by betting in a similar manner to the hand I showed. It works a lot of the time, but not all of the time!:D:D

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always take notes when someone shows cards, exp there raise,,pos,,cards.Alto on the most part i prefer not to ever show. Seeing cards and the raise a person makes can lead you to the real value of other hands they play

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I wonder if it is because a player can't resist saying, "I had it" or "I bluffed your butt". If a person does it a lot, it does seem amateurish. Other times, I think about whether this is strategy, especially if it is more selective; but it depends on the player. I see how it might be seen to some as another strategy, but I wonder if anyone has really written an article about this...probably somebody has.
There are times when you are playing tight, but get a run of incredible cards and the hands don't go to showdown; as a result, you could be seen as loose. I am interested in this case to what people think of showing and how it relates to perceived tendencies by others at the table.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually wouldn't show a hand voluntarily against good and thinking players as they don't need any free information.

A case can be made for showing to enhance an image and set up future plays.

For instance, when everyone folds to your standard raise and you show AA so they think you're playing tight, when you are really opening much wider but happened to have it that time.

You don't give much away since most will assume your raising range includes AA.

Seen a few CardPlayer articles on the topic so there is some good stuff out there.

Good luck to you! :D

steeler1970

steeler1970

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker players that show there are thinking that if they do that it shows the other player at the table that he or she is a better poker player then them and not to mess with them

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never show your cards. After showing the card, you will give more information about your style of play.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I never show cards and I note who does it

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't show my hands generally, but there are times that it does make sense. Some opponents hate it and I will show when I bluffed them to encourage him to play weaker hands against me.

I have also done this live at a table of older guys. I bluffed and showed a few early hands to give myself a false image. I wanted them to think I was much looser and a weaker player than I was. This helped to loosen up their normally tight play.

Showing should only be done for a specific purpose to give an edge on future hands. However, this is never guaranteed and can be exploited by others.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that it is pure psychology. For example, the player always shows bad hands. Other players at a table begin to believe that it has a bad hand all the time and begin to underestimate it, and, at last, there comes the moment: oll-in and prize.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't show my hands , but thinking about "chip dumping" where one player will lose to another (on purpose) in order to "give" the other player valuable tournament chips. Requiring both players to show is to demonstrate that each hand is fair and no collusion is happening.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Showing cards should be used as another tool . It can used to provide misinformation to your opponents. Since I play so tight I will show a bluff every now and again in order to get calls later in the game.

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally speaking, showing cards seems foolish at best, and obnoxious at worst. Why give away information about a good hand, or be a jerk when bluffing a lousy one? I almost never show cards. I have occasionally shown them in the past, when I felt it would establish future credibility for a bluff, but I'm not sure this is a good idea. So I tend to agree it's a good practice not to show at all.

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to be on the same side as most... showing your hand is giving your opponent information that they would not otherwise have. In my opinion there is generally no value in that; however if you know you can get someone to tilt because of the cards you show it can occasionally be a useful tool. I just try not to make it a habit.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
If a player shows the cards I think he would be giving some information on how he plays some hands in particular ... however with very experienced players you have to be careful because sometimes they do it to send a message and then confuse them .. in my particular case I do not like to show the cards ...!

GeoStampede

GeoStampede

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have automuck checked. However, sometimes I click the cards to show'em. I normally do this whenever I want to mislead the heroes in the table :evil:
I know that many players, as Mattryder said, take notes whenever someone shows cards.
Anyhow, I try not to make this thing a habit.

grogrich

grogrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to show my cards to the opponent when I bluff

K

ksean

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
usually not a good idea, maybe when you bluffed and want to tilt a bad player.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Showing your cards is giving away free information . As a rule never a good thing to do . But on rare occasions it might be beneficial if you feel your table image is too far in one direction and you are trying to balance out your image .

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

I personally don't ever show my cards unless it is at showdown. I feel it is better to keep them guessing then to show them anything. I have seen a lot of players show to varying results some good and some bad.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
showing your cards gives out too much information. All bad for the person who showed and all good for the person they showed.

Justin Nichols

Justin Nichols

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
showing cards can be powerful /maybe lol

it depends i show alot of bluffs and stuff to make ppl call when im big stack :cool: when i have good cards:) cause they get tilted and think im bulliing..:eek:...other times i show to ppl to ensure them they made the right choice folding out of respect;) ...i see ppl say its immature or arragunt but i think its a weapon in a war..poker is lie and steal to take and break all others to you riegn supreme.. its like talking to your oppenent to see if grabs for his chips when your excited or is super quiet showing your cards is not throwing their poor poker skills in their face .. when actually its you tryin to mmake your future bad poker play look like its great and your great poker to look like your stupid.:mad:. verbal abuse and harrassing is garbage poker edict enticing:( abet or talking during all ins are problems showing is just another legal weapon ;)at your disposal use it cause im going to maybe
:D