Should I pick up PLO instead of NLHE as a young beginner player?

Y

Youngmvo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
Hello,

I have been playing poker just for fun with my friends, but I decided I would like to take this game more seriously and actually put my time into studying and just learning about the game in general. I tried both NL Holdem and Pot Limit omaha just to try which I actually prefer, but I found out that I dont really have a preference and I like both games. I would like to focus and devote my time only into one game though.

Do you think It would maybe make more sense to learn and study PLO instead of NLHE as a 19 years old beginner in 2022? I know only I can decide on that, but I would like to hear some opinions on what would you do if You were "in my shoes".

I am asking this question, because people are playing NLHE on high level for many many years and Im not really sure how I would be able to catch up with all these players and I heard PLO is like "less solved" and that people just can not play PLO that good yet.

Thank you all in advance,
Have a great day!

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question and I'm jealous of you :) To concentrate on PLO you will need to have a larger bankroll as PLO variance is much higher than NLH. You will also need to have good tilt control as PLO beats are more frequent than NLH. The only issue with concentrating on PLO is that it will be harder to find live games should you want to try out or mix in live play.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I personally HATE PLO. 🤣

In the low stakes, if you keep raising full pot preflop and also bet full pot with the current best hand, people still invest big for a (serious) draw and will get there much more often than NLHE.

So the comment on tilt control is on point.

I lost quite a few big pots with sets of Aces, Kings and Queens and it bugs me so much. 🙈

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I gained my first poker experiences/impressions with NLHE. That was obvious, because it is the most well-known and most played type of game. I got to grips with PLO late and never really learned to love it!

As you mentioned, the choice is yours!

Is it only PLO & NLHE to choose from? - Because it would make sense to "learn and study" Omaha & Hold'em as a whole (No Limit; Pot Limit; Limit; ...).

As a 'complete beginner', Hold'em should be easier for you, since PLO is more extensive when it comes to decision-making. Another criterion, as noted in a previous post, is that NLHE is much more promoted and also carries the largest offering. In contrast, PLO is clearly at a disadvantage!

AD_all

AD_all

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
It's generally a good idea for beginner poker players to start with No Limit Texas Hold'em (NLHE) because it is the most popular and widely available variation of poker, and it is also relatively simple to learn. Additionally, NLHE is a good choice for beginners because it allows for a wide range of strategic play and can be very rewarding for those who learn how to play well.
On the other hand, Pot Limit Omaha (PLO) is a more complex variation of poker that requires a deeper understanding of hand values and pot odds. It can be more challenging for beginners to learn and can be more swingy (meaning there are larger fluctuations in chip stacks) than NLHE.
That being said, there is no one "right" answer to this question and it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals as a poker player. If you are interested in learning a new variation of poker and are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the strategies and nuances of PLO, then it could be a good choice for you. However, if you are just starting out and want to build a solid foundation in poker, it might be a better idea to start with NLHE and then branch out to other variations once you have a good understanding of the game.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Like the others said, PLO is a more complex game as there are many possibities to win and several draws are possible. Besides the swings are higher, so you need a healthy bankroll and you need to be prepared mentally fot the swings and bad beats. From my personal experience I would say it is easier and smarter to learn NLH first before seriously thinking about PLO. You would already have good experience about hand selcetion, pre- and postflop play and although PLO is very different from NLH, you already have a feel for hands and playing.

Last edited:
thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My best advice would be don't play poker at all except freerolls. PLO can be very trying; aces don't count for much. No limit hold 'em or no limit anything can be extremely risky.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

I'm playing both of these games, there's not a big difference in these two. You have the same streets, the same positions, same amount of cards on the deck, just you have two more in your hands (2 of them dead 2 of them living but which is which is determined through the party). In Omaha games you just have to be more flexible, and maybe cut the actions or let them flow even more easy, and don't overrate certain combinations, but put valid effort to fight for them.

Less solved? I don't think so. You just have to count pretty wide outcomes, that's all.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play no limit its better to learn that way

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
play better what you like best anyway if you play badly you'll lose everywhere and if you're a great player, wins will be just as everywhere just choose what you like and you'll always feel good

PokerEdge

PokerEdge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
Hi!
I like the way you approach the game.
The variance is really bigger in PLO, and I don't think it's as resolved as NLHE.
My own experience is that when I started playing a bit of PLO after many NLHEs, and then returned to NLHE, I was able to think more logically and calculate more easily, I think because there are many more unknowns in Omaha.
I say that it makes sense to learn Omaha, although most of the time the money is less, but that may not be a problem.
Which means a disadvantage compared to the field:
if you have the opportunity, it is also worth learning the 5 Card Omaha, since the villains and the calculations are newer here.
Good luck!

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just pick a game that you enjoy and play it. That's the best way to continue playing it. Playing various games will teach you key concepts that you need to learn in holdem. You might notice certain things in other games easier than if you just played holdem.

Basic poker math like pot odds is way easier to see, understand and apply in a limit game like stud than in nl holdem game.

You want learn how to deal with variance and watch your good starting hands turn to trash a lot? Play razz. That game will teach what to do when a starting hands turns bad and when to bail on a hand and why very quickly if you actually take the time to learn it.

PLO is another dealer button game and you have to understand position in those. In PLO you have to learn to read a board and recognize the nuts because someone will usually have it or be drawing to those types of hands unlike holdem where a pair can win.

You also have to learn to avoid trap hands like bottom sets in PLO. And most importantly you will have to learn bet sizing and learn when to put money into a pot and when not to. I always see beginners blowing up pots on Holdem hands in PLO not understanding that a pair is not going to win a big omaha pot.

Post is long enough but again, play a game you actually like. There is zero reason why you can't get to the middle stakes in either in holdem or PLO or any game you want to play if you actually try to get better.

I would tell you to learn other games besides Holdem because you might like them and you can still learn key poker concepts while playing other games.

Y

Youngmvo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
Thank you all for your opinions and advices!

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hello,

I have been playing poker just for fun with my friends, but I decided I would like to take this game more seriously and actually put my time into studying and just learning about the game in general. I tried both NL Holdem and Pot Limit omaha just to try which I actually prefer, but I found out that I dont really have a preference and I like both games. I would like to focus and devote my time only into one game though.

Do you think It would maybe make more sense to learn and study PLO instead of NLHE as a 19 years old beginner in 2022? I know only I can decide on that, but I would like to hear some opinions on what would you do if You were "in my shoes".

I am asking this question, because people are playing NLHE on high level for many many years and Im not really sure how I would be able to catch up with all these players and I heard PLO is like "less solved" and that people just can not play PLO that good yet.

Have a great day!
I'd try with play money first.
It's a very unique gameplay. I myself am most succesful in Omaha. Bluffs work way better in my experience because there are so many more outcomes possible than at Holdem

Z

zzsignup

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start with NL Holdem, if only because that's the game you'll most likely to find in live settings and online. It defiantly helps if you have a strong HE background to learn PLO. Reading your hand/board correctly is a MUST! Misreads are costly in PLO.

Many of the concepts in HE will transfer over to PLO, the old adage that learning another poker game with help your main game applies.

There are some adjustments to PLO from HE that you'll want to be aware of (hand ranges are higher), so be aware you don't bring bad HE habits over to PLO.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello,

Have a great day!
Hey there!
I play Holdem and some Omaha since about 20 years online and I will give you an honest advice here:
Don't even think about picking Omaha as your learning poker variant. Basically everything you will learn studying and playing Holdem will also count as Omaha knowledge later on if you decide to switch. Same cards, same chips, same rules, same basic concepts etc. But Omaha is just so damn more complex and many more situations are very hard to solve because of the 4(5) cards instead of 4. So many more possibilities.
For example RFI-Charts. For Holdem you find dozens and they are easy and transparent. Every beginner can play professional level preflop game with these. For Omaha that's just a mess. Too many combinations and situations, so that you cant easily visualize the hands and therefore you have to understand concepts behind the choices.
At least: Whatever you pick, have fun.