QUIZ!! Preflop Starting Hands with Collin Moshman

Cerealez

Cerealez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good video. I m a newbie so don t pay attention to what i say and forgive my mistakes.
A7: With the raise it s a clear fold
T9: Depends on the instance, ante and my stack, it should be a small raise or a fold, never call
33: With that poss i d go for fold or call, u can call expecting to get a cheap flop to connect a set, if that happens and another player has a pair with AA KK (not in hand cause if that was the case the play had been completely different) etc you can squeeze their chips.
9k: it s 50-50:confused:. You can take the risk because of the ante but what if 1 of the blinds re-raise. Also with that bet the BB maybe considers to take his chance considering the amount of chips.
AJ: AJ looks like a great hand preflop but i would assume one of the 2 raisers has a better hand so fold.
55: It s an easy call
QJ: Fold because they aren t even suited and i m on a weak possition, if i were in the same poss that in the 9k hand with this hand it was a raise.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your time Colling, many players make basic mistakes, but you clearly show what should not be done in that kind of hands, the kiker is very important and the position you have not played with any speculative cards and doing so is always a mistake

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Excellent video with explanations why you are choosing your line of play. I will pat myself on the back a little and say that I got all the hands right, although I would consider how the table was playing before I got rid of the QJo. I absolutely agree with the A7 fold, there is not a lot of that going on in games today (which should be an advantage to the better players but I ALWAYS seem to have AK, AQ or a big pocket pair and some chucklehead hits their kicker against me or hits an ace to my big pair....ahhhhhh...variance...I love it). Great video Collin!!!

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
very good video, it helped me a lot how to play in pre flop because never ogaria with these hand'm very cautious, but held much with vidio

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Well explained video with reasoning for each decision. Don't agree with all opens and I tend to play a more aggressive game

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The K9 is a little bit harder to play in my opinion, so yes probably K9 is a raise in the situation but ive had very bad experiences with K9 before😂😂

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Very good video, to learn to play with position and also depending on the previous action of your opponents; And also the amount of chips, because when we are below 15BB it is something else.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I agree with almost all distributions, well, maybe with 33 and K9o, but that's my considerations. I like limping aces, why not add small pairs to the limp range, and regarding K9 I need to look at my opponents, and I understand that you need to play like that, but often my thoughts take me to a distant distance and I create that does not fit on my head)))

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Scored 6/7. I would at least limp with 33 or even minraise them. It might win a huge pots if you hit a set when your opponents won't fold their top pair.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another great way to learn. Read the article and then take the test, with the assistance from Mr Moshman to talk you through the rationale for each decision. It’s also great to then read other members views on what they would have done, where they disagree with the advice and their rationales why they play that way.

I love the example of QJo in the position its in as it really opens up the discussion about the value of hands in their relative position...something which I think the article does quite well throughout and in each hands case.

It’s nice to see the split view about K9o. The point about Nate’s in this hand is very important.

Thanks once again to CC and to Collin for this tutorial.

BB

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Considering this was an early stage, was pretty easy to answer - 7/7. Make a video once stacks are significantly shallower - the result might differ a lot :D

Thanks for the video, it was nice to check my play in these spots :)

T

tomsa88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
SITE DE MERDA SO LIBERA A SENHA DEPOIS QUE TERMINA AS INSCRECOES UM LIXO, POR QUE ESTAR DECADENTE ESSA PORCARIA

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Liked it very much, I would have tried to see a flop with the three's since the blinds were so low other than that I agree

G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me it depends on my stack, the profile of the other players at the table and especially the position I am in. But I totally agree with the article!

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
in the early stages I would only play couples. but will throw if the opponent went all in.
I want to note that when you reset a bad hand, sometimes shows wonderful flop the nuts. it's always frustrating, but playing fortune tellers is also not very good.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I knew all the right answers (easy in theory), but I have to admit I'm not this disciplined when actually playing. These decisions also depend on the players at your table and the need to balance your range from different positions. Plus, if you sometimes play a marginal hand in an unexpected spot and hit the flop hard, you get all the chips. Of course, you should choose these spots carefully.

Becky Eubanks

Becky Eubanks

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the video, it was interesting and I agreed on most.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain Player Pool matters

Your preflop decisions are the precursor to how the rest of your game will go. It will either set you up for success, or start you on the road to spewing chips. Collin Moshman discusses our Preflop Starting Hands article, along with a quiz to test your preflop savvy!

Watch the video and tell us how you did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSOF_qdYu-g

Thank U 4 Posting.

Often as our skill level increases we adjust our play based on those new skills. When advising players who have not yet gained our skill level we must remember to include the factors that change our raising ranges.

The K9 hand is missing some points about villain reads and post flop hand reading. Those are the skills that make this range profitable.

You only slightly mentioned one aspect which is we should get folds here. Which is based on your direct read of these Villains or your experience reads of the player pool. Matched with your understanding of your pot management skills when called and you miss or hit.

We cannot assume when giving range advice that those skills are present in those we are advising.

In the lower stakes you will often see miss applied principals because the players are not aware of how Villain dependent certain actions are.

Thank you for contributing and I hope what I shared has some value to you.

:):)

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand, A7o fold
T9o raise i like to do it to 2,2 or 2,5x on the button because u face to manny 3bet in steal possition.
33 in cash games i fold in early stages off MTTs i limp.
K9o iff e blinds have a middle stack i raise if one off them is short or very big i fold i could face a raise shove from short ones or a very wide call from deep ones.
AJo with to raises Fold could be dominated.
55 any low pocket pair in possition i Call.
QJo I Raise/fold to a 3bet.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
from the proposed 7 hands I would do the same in five cases. With the exception of:
T9o - I would fold. The hand is not too good for a further draw, and the mini-raise proposed in the video is too small, and it will certainly provoke aggressive protection from players on the BB
AJo - probably I would make a call. We have enough stacks to see a flop with a good card. But you should take into account the statistics and playing style of the villain who made the preflop raise.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your preflop decisions are the precursor to how the rest of your game will go. It will either set you up for success, or start you on the road to spewing chips. Collin Moshman discusses our Preflop Starting Hands article, along with a quiz to test your preflop savvy!

Hello,

In first example, I would fold most of the Axes that I believe are dominated by the combos that UTG opens.
He even comments that we need a better hand to call a bet than to make a bet.

In the second example, I agree to open but there is no ant in play and at the same time it is too high to take 3bet. So if I want to open to fold eventually for a reaction, I will avoid using a size larger than 2.5x.
Of course if I realize that blinds are players who call with any card, I'll bet higher. EVER

In the third example I need to analyze who the players are.
I believe all pairs have the potential to play early game (deep stack) even in marginal situations. What we cannot do is cling to the cards and not give up when a board does not favor us.
Usually I open this hand, sometimes I can limp, exactly to call a 3bet / squeeze and play for implied odds. I fold when I'm playing with passive players like in our freerols.

In the fourth example in CO, we can use our image to our advantage and open because we have a blocker, and still follow. It's a good hand combo, but I don't think it opens every time. I usually have to fold

Example AJo in SB, I prefer 3bet to fold, even though it's starting positions. Firstly, I try to analyze if I have faced this player before and if I have information.
But sometimes I end up folding in Early Game.

The last example I choose to fold would open suited hands.

Have a nice week!

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Colin.
The only thing I did is fold A 7 cards.
I love to catch with pocket cards like 33 and 55 with them the game becomes much more interesting :)

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Good video...I would fold K9 and A7, but I love T9 and I would go with it... :)

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

exactly , one hand can makes you win the tournament or lose everything , i did not understand the quizz at the beginning but after repeating the video i understand it , thanks Collin again for this great oppurtunity to learn and this great video .

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Here are my answers. I only agreed with video on two spots. People play differently I guess, I value position and good starting hands. It is hard to make a hand in holdem I don't see why we would go folding so many good starting hands.
A7 - 3Bet
109 - Raise
33 - Raise
K9 - Raise
AJ - 4Bet
55 - 3Bet
QJ - Raise

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands