Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your preflop decisions are the precursor to how the rest of your game will go. It will either set you up for success, or start you on the road to spewing chips. Collin Moshman discusses our Preflop Starting hands article, along with a quiz to test your preflop savvy!

Watch the video and tell us how you did!

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6/7 correct i disagreed with the K9o open from the cutoff as i typically open KTo+ from that position. Maybe ill look in to opening a little wider in future especially as i play 6 max cash games maybe im losing some value here and there.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I missed 1. The AJ fold. The one ..QJ thats a 50/50 for me. I answered correctly but part of the time Id raise with the QJ.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a good lesson, we must adhere to good preflop hands, so as not to get into a difficult situation postflop. However, if you have a good post-flop skill, you can expand the standard “hand opening chart” by slightly shifting positions, adding different suited and offsuited connectors to earlier positions. The fact is that if you know how to read the range of your opponents, you can adjust the game to their line and force them to throw off some combinations, if a flop that does not fit their range. Not using such game situations you significantly reduces your EV value.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only got 3/7, so i think i need to reed the hole article in CC.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I gues I have to repeat what I've said on the video.... ""THIS IS AWESOME!"
Have to clap myself on the back, 100% corect =)
The only hand I dont think I would actualy play like that is 33. I know that I would convince myself that if we are even 3beted we will have the implieds, and we are deep that if we hit that set.... double-up incoming. Althoug from a review point of view defiently can fold there.
Just and honest 3c on selfreflection LUL
TY again

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely agree with all 7. The two steal spots with K9o from CO and T9o from BTN are close though, so my decision will depend on the situation. With loose and aggressive players behind, these are spots, that can be taken off especially in no ante games or important ICM situations.

I like the AJo from SB hand. I think, some players might get sucked into calling here, because they want to play with the 3-better, who is probably a fish goofing around with his whatever. But we need to consider, how we get involved with fish, and this is not a good way.

Its very different, if fish limp, a regular isolate from CO, and we look down at AJo from BTN. Then maybe we can call and look to get involved, since they will both have wider ranges, we are unlikely to get 3-bet, and we have position on everyone postflop.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad to hear you agree with all of them Fundiver, and thanks everyone for posting scores and thoughts. Keep them coming!

I do want to emphasize that starting hand ranges aren't exact, and a few of these are pretty close decisions. But if you didn't get a perfect score don't worry, there will be more quizzes coming :)

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch my hands preflop.Depending on the stage of the tournament, my stack, I open wider, or already

696cf6d9686a2a77a5846986f14e6da7.png

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I missed the K9o - I think only if I am super stacked at this stage would I open such a marginal hand - K9s I open no problem but just seems like a little too ambitious for me if these are the early stages.

The 33s I chose to open limp. Again, we are assuming these are early stages and we are deep stacked - open limp, limp-call a reasonable raise and set mine - if you hit your implied odds will warrent the open limp.

That said - I think folding is fine - I fold lots of small pairs from early position especially if my stack isn't too deep and I've taken a few hits. No sense wasting chips on a 1:8 chance set fishing.

I think this short video and explanation is great and very beneficial to those looking to improve their game. Thanks for taking the time to do such a thing for the community

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree with two of the plays and clearly those are the two I got wrong.

1) Early in tourney 33 in UTG+1 I raise 2.5bb if reraised I will get away from it, but otherwise its an opportunity to either steal blinds or hit a set and relatively cheap - admittedly this may be a leak on my part and at a different time in the tourney I will snap fold this in the same position.

2) K9o in HJ Raise - I realize this is a raise I just fold this hand. I find it gets me in trouble more often than not - might just be my own misguided perception but I understand and see the value in raising. I just prefer to wait for a better spot .

Otherwise I got the rest of the answers correct or at least the same as moshman.

note: My above comments are from a fish that freerolls and microstakes not someone that puts a lot of money on the line when in a tourney lol

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good decisions and very informative video. I really liked this line of reasoning. Depending on how the game is going, i think the T9 tends to represent a good button hand, as well your K9 too. Great video Collin!

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
video :
A7 off suit fold , Me I would play , not raise , but just call
Ten 9 raise , Me, I would play and maybe raise if I have seen a lot of 9 and 10's in the previous 5 - rounds or so
33 fold / limp UTG , I usually fold these, again if a lot of small cards have bee coming out - I would limp .
K9 off suit raise , Me, I totally agree on the raise , not a big one , but just enough to let the others know I have something.
AJ off suit fold if someone raised , Me, depends how much someone raises , I usually play this as it has done well for me.Especially if J have been coming out ( like the other nite)
55 call , Me, I agree , I would call.
QJ off suit , fold, Me , I would play them , and again I would just call

I guess I must be a "loose " player :)
Thank-you Collin for your help with the strategy section of the challenge ! It has been refreshing having someone go through these for us . So much better then just reading !

Last edited by a moderator:
Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jon Poker, very nice comment on the 33. Particularly in passive low-stakes lineups or ones where you have great implied odds, open limping can be a solid alternative to folding.

Acemenow, thanks for the feedback. The K9o raise in cutoff is fairly close, the main reason to play this hand is because of the ante. Without an ante it would be good to just fold. With an ante we need to open wider. I would open any broadway hand from the lojack with an ante, and K9o for sure in the cutoff.

Icnbe, Great, I'm really glad you enjoyed the video. One suggestion: Try raising more often when you're the first one in so that you have a better chance of winning the blinds and antes without a fight.

Acidburn, thanks a lot for the nice words!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Acemenow, thanks for the feedback. The K9o raise in cutoff is fairly close, the main reason to play this hand is because of the ante. Without an ante it would be good to just fold. With an ante we need to open wider. I would open any broadway hand from the lojack with an ante, and K9o for sure in the cutoff.

In that K9 example we want to look on, who BTN is, and also the players in the blinds. If there is one or more 3-bet monkey(s) behind us, we are often not even going to see a flop, and that will make opening K9 negative EV. Opening will also be negative EV, if the player on BTN is very loose and will call a lot, because then we are going to be playing K9 out of position, or as monkey in the middle, if someone else call as well.

However if there are 3 nits behind, then opening a hand like K9 from CO is certainly a +EV play even in a non ante game, because we just pick it up so often. And its also +EV, if there is a nit on BTN and a fish in the blinds. A fish will call to wide, so K9 is doing fine against his range, fish make a lot of postflop mistakes, and we have position.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
A7 - I would fold
Ten 9 - I would raise or just call if someone have raised already.
33 - I would fold or try to bluf using raise.
K9 - I agree on the raise.
AJ - I think I would call and try to check.
55 - I agree I would call or raise. I don't know but I play aggressively with a pair.
QJ - I would play with these cards.

It is interesting to know the final result based on different versions of the game. Because this choice is based on the correct template, position and ideal result, but what about non-standard thinking and the worst case scenario? After all, the right decision is a decision that leads to success?

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@moshman

As I wrote that the other day I was a bit distracted as I was in a couple of games at the time and posted rather quickly.

Rereading my answers, while I wouldn't change them, I really appreciate your feedback and found your analysis very informative and helpful. I think the way I answered did not indicate that, so wanted to re-iterate the point.

I look forward to watching more of your analysis. Again thank you !!!

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would agree with all of these for most.

I do like to set mine so would likely take my chances with the 33 whenever I feel I can get away with it. If I knew I had an aggressive preflop player yet to act, I would fold.

The other one I may change how I would play QJ. I agree this is a spot that you can get yourself into trouble with but against the right opponents is also one you can take advantage of.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent video, I learn a lot from them, to then put into practice at the tables everything learned, and master the preflop range is very important.

A7 - I fold if the table is passive it could be played.
Ten 9 - The connectors are good, if you have a good stack.
33 - if you connect the set, you could double your stack, if you don't connect anything, fold easy.
K9 - raise, i agree
AJ - the call its good
55 - call or raise
QJ - raise

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6/7 correct i disagreed with the K9o open from the cutoff as i typically open KTo+ from that position. Maybe ill look in to opening a little wider in future especially as i play 6 max cash games maybe im losing some value here and there.

Same, exactly as you say!

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
That is a good video.

To be honest, there are things I agree and things I don't agree, like the opening with K90 from the cutoff. But of course I don't have the amount of experience Mosh,am has, so I can't speak with a definite tone. As far as the rest of the hands, setmining with the baby pairs is a good way to double up your stack, so I almost always try to setmine. It's also easy to get away with your hand if you don't hit something....

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I had the same choises except the last with the QJ, where I would raise because it is a very nice hand and there is not another raise.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video, very good explanation, what if I think it's not the same open raise hands on a table of 6 max in table 9 max. the video would be good to open up tables for both pre-flop is attached, I will try to apply these tips to my game. Greetings.

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks this usefull informations!
I need to study this.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with all of this,except Two hands !33 I would have dropped, A7 I'm dropping too !

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands