** Pot Limit Omahahahaha April Learning Thread **

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been using HEM 1.08 Private Beta Build 3 (omaha) and it's real solid for having a HUD and keeping track of results at the cash game tables. I haven't seen any glaring issues with it at all.

spore said:
How are all the fish going to find their way to PLO?

Dude, they are already there.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't running a hud as I haven't installed the beta yet..but I will..

I played some $25 PLO 6 max earlier today and made ~$100 in about an hour

I readily admit I suck at this game, but I hadn't played any in awhile and the fish were freaking everywhere...

In an hour I had:

- Nut flush paid off by someone with TPTK

- Quads paid off by a straight

- Full house paid off by a flush

- Full house paid off by two pair

I basically wasn't doing anything other than sitting there and being a nut peddling nit for the most part.. people were paying off so light. although if I had position on some people who I felt could be pushed around I would pretty much push them around with anything. Implied odds felt like they were through the roof..I was basically just doing a lot of calling in position with hands that had potential... suited aces + pairs, good double suited cards, stuff like TJQK works pretty well too it seems...

will have to do that some more..it was fun.

still have much to learn though

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a few freeroll games of experience (I googled how to play Omaha Hi, and decided it was worth a try). I got discouraged after losing pretty quickly, even if I got lucky in the first 20 minutes. I learned that the best hands aren't exactly the same as they are in Holdem (went all in with AA and something that looked really good once and lost all of my chips).

Maybe there is some good strategy I can learn; hey you reached one person! :) I'm actually really interested about learning Razz, since my friend said you get to try to get the WORST hand, but I read about bad hands and didn't understand it really.. so Hi/Lo and razz are things I must learn.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will probably not post much in here but I will def, be watching. I played a little 10c/25c and had fun, but I talked to Ice and he said some preparing is due if you wana make money, soooo I will be hangin around, dont mind me :)

phatmatt840

phatmatt840

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I have a good grip on the games and then I start reading threads like this and realize... crap I'm behind. Good info guys. One day at a time with the learning, lol. Practice makes perfect... right?

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How are all the fish going to find their way to PLO? The only way it will get popular is if the fish go there.. the pros will follow. Online has done a bit in the way of getting PLO out there but the population can't be growing that much.

Now, if WPT, High Stakes, Poker After Dark, etc.. start showing Omaha games on TV.. then you'll have schools of fish jumping online to play. Omaha has SOOO much more opportunity for mistakes I imagine the profitability would be huge.

you don't need fish for a game to be juicy. u just need bad regs. (there are lots at PLO)

heh whenever i play PLO i always am convinced i know exactly what i'm doing, but in reality i'm just mashing the pot button a lot when i have kool looking hands

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in my first PLO HU SNG ... $2 i know ... but actually had a lot of fun. Stacked off after I flopped the Ace high straight and the bastard just had a 7-card flush draw (he had 3 clubs and I had one, and 2 on the board) and nothing else but hit ... then with a 2700-300 deficit I fought back and won. It was a lot of fun and actually great experience so I recommend em!

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, since I don't have a book onPLO and I'm just looking at the DC vidoes can we have some start discussion.

As has been previously mentioned, the simplest thing to start off with will be starting hand requirements, so will do that then yeah?

From the VS vid she was pointing out that wraps appear to be the best type of hands especially with a gap in the lower end as opposed to the upper end of the wrap.

For example hands like 9875, 7653 as opposed to 9765, 7543. Wraps are cool cos they give us so many combo's.

Also hands that contain suited cards, especially double suited, are hands that have way more value than say for most lower pair type hands imo.

Any comments?

BTW Belgo - thanks for the link.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the VS vid she was pointing out that wraps appear to be the best type of hands especially with a gap in the lower end as opposed to the upper end of the wrap.

For example hands like 9875, 7653 as opposed to 9765, 7543. Wraps are cool cos they give us so many combo's.

And gap at bottom are cooler than gap at top because when you draw, most of the straight outs are nut outs, while with gap at top, a lot of your outs only make second nut, which tends to be expensive in PLO.

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don't need fish for a game to be juicy. u just need bad regs. (there are lots at PLO)

heh whenever i play PLO i always am convinced i know exactly what i'm doing, but in reality i'm just mashing the pot button a lot when i have kool looking hands

I don't see how fish could last in Omaha PL. Bust, bust, bust and the big pot suckouts are fewer. Maybe they trade pots back and forth between each other, but when there are a couple of disciplined players in the game, those fish do a lot of rebuys, and unless they have deep pockets, I just don't see how they can last. Bad play is rewarded more in HE than Omaha.

I think you're right - the money to be made is from undisciplined regs who just can't lay down the good looking hand and, before you know it, get sucked in for their whole stack. Cardinal rule in Omaha, especially O8 is don't chase too deep. Even moreso than hold em I think there are a lot of players who over-estimate their skill level and think they're good when they are really not. People do really stupid things in O8, the most common of which is to chase with just a low drawing hand. You have A2 with two lows on the flop, your chances of filling the low without counterfeit are only 50/50, and that's for only half the pot. So you really only have 25% equity, yet people are willing to put in their whole stacks for the chance of hitting, and they'll argue that it's a good and reasonable move.

In O8, there's the question of whether to go for Low or Hi; it's even discussed in this thread. The answer is simple. You go for both. You go for the scoop. But pre-flop hand selection is centered on the low with some high potential. The reason is the low nut hand is more predictable and if you can come up with it by the flop or turn, then you are free-rolling for the high as well. If you're pre-flop with AA, it's hard to have any confidence that your aces will hold up as the high considering all the possibilities out there.

Omaha (I play only O8) is a game of extreme patience. There are some bluffing opportunities and position is still important, but it's really hard to turn around a dead run with creative play, and aggression is not rewarded in the same way it is in HE. The Capelletti book, which isn't as bad as the reviews on Amazon indicate, says that in Hold Em you want to be feared, but in Omaha you want to be loved. Especially in split pot games, the skill comes in keeping people in and building the pot. Taking it down with the big bet is more of a rarity.

I play Omaha 8 because it's pretty steady income without the wild swings of HE. I have to admit it gets pretty boring. It's a grind. You can go for hours without much play. But I would think it would be a fish magnet with all the wild draws and possibilities and action. I would certainly like to see fish migrate to it. And you do see more hold em maniacs coming to the O8 tables. They stick out like a sore thumb with their big pre-flop bets and aggressive play. They don't notice that they are taking down lots of pots but not many chips. They don't build pots for their good hands, and they over-extnd and get hammered on their bad ones. They are a little annoying because their big PF bets keep you from seeing flops, but it makes you more selective, and that's not bad.

I used to think O8 was more a fishing expedition where you saw a lot of flops and tried to build a hand. Lots of bad players still describe it that way. But properly played, you play even tighter than Hold Em. My best sessions are ones where my flop percentage is around 20 at FR.

I don't do HEM but I should.
Gary

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Also hands that contain suited cards, especially double suited, are hands that have way more value than say for most lower pair type hands imo.

Any comments?

Comments. First off, suitedness loses its value in low cards, I'd say anything less than a queen. If you have an AA or even AK double suited, you play the hand even if you have a 36 to go with it.

Gappers are nice on the low end, but just as good in the middle. An 789T is a very powerful hand. However gappers will often give you far more outs. A 2 gapper, like 67TJ can actually give you 20 outs, problem is you have to hit those 2 cards. Same with something like 68TJ. These hands are more speculative, but if you get a good flop, you've got huge nuts potential. For instance if a 79 hits, you don't have to worry about a T or J coming along, because a 7 cannot make a straight to someone eles's queen. Something really bad would have to happen like a T and a J (or JQ or TQ - even a combo with a K can hurt you, but for now let's assume no one will call a pot bet with an inside straight draw) on the turn & river. With a 1-gapper like 79TJ, it's more likely you'll hit your 1 card (the 8), so you'll have a smaller wrap potential, but less speculative.

Gappers on the high end are only insignificant if you have 4 Broadway cards, which is uncommon. Other than that, an upper gap is certainly still playable, perfectly capable of hitting a nut straight, and just as likely to hit any straight at all as much as a lower gapper. Just understand you'll have fewer posibilities for the nut straight.

Last edited:
icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha, Belgo I am the king of hookups. The HEM guys asked me for omaha hands, I sent them in, and they put me on the private beta. Since I write for a few websites and they want a buzz around it, that also gets me access.

As far as hand requirements ... you can't just wait for the AKAK double suited hands to play but typically the wrap hands T,9,8,7 or the hands connected with the one gap at the end (still make nut hands) like Belgo said are what you're ideally looking for.

Think BIG when it comes to potential of a hand. There's only so much that AK89 single suited can do for you (in fact not much) in terms of making "nut hands" like straights, flushes and boats as opposed to something like AAKQ or even 789A Double Suited. I'd give the baseball analogy of sitting back and waiting to get the right pitch to hit the home run (well, I just did) but not sure with all the European influence if you get it. I'll assume you do since you guys are smart.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i'm pretty sure with connectors you don't really need suitedness, because you'll get overflushed soooo often

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the suited parts of your connectors is mainly for occasional flush + bd flush outs if you get it in with like monster wrap draws against sets. It also gives you possible redraws if your in a nut straight vs nut straight

T

toni

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
great tips i'll certianly use them, i'm sure it will help me to!

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who's going to have the stones to make the (as far as I know) first PLO video in CC history?

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've moved on from PLO to NLO8. I've found that PLO is a good jumping off point. It has improved my HE game. But PLO is a game for grinding it out. In NLO8 there is the added factor of betting your stack off PF. You have great swings in this game but if you just follow the basic starting hands in O8 you will be a winning player here. There are a lot of people willing to go all in just for the low.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BB was new to table. Was looking to see a flop cheap here.

full tilt poker $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 8 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com
Hero (MP1): $26.33
MP2: $19.44
CO: $9.15
BTN: $10.42
SB: $5.06
BB: $9.99
UTG: $22.32
UTG+1: $44.70
Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is MP1 with 2:spade: 9:spade: 9:diamond: 2:diamond:
2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, BB checks
Flop: ($1.00) T:diamond: A:spade: 9:club: (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets $1,
Hero ?

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 8 players
Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is MP1 with 2 9 9 2
Flop: ($1.00) T A 9 (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets $1,
Hero ?

disclaimer: I suck at this game but am trying to learn!

generally speaking I would bet/raise a set on a rainbow flop. however if there is a ton of action and/or a straight card comes in on turn i'm going to slow way down but not necessarily fold (even if he makes the straight on the turn you have a good redraw to a boat). You aren't going to like a J or a K. An A or T is generally going to be a good card (only bad if you are up against 2 pair currently..relatively unlikely..but more likely than it is in hold em).

Just for comparison's sake: you are only currently behind a hand with AAxx or TTxx. AAxx is very unlikely as nearly everyone raises that preflop. However let's take a hand like AKJT... you will now loose to any A, any T, any Q and if he picks up a J or a K he picks up a couple more river outs with that card plus Q/J/K are scare cards to your hand even if he doesn't have the straight.

So.. just for comparison's sake:

vs AKJT: ~75/25 (rounding generously here)
vs AKQJ: ~50/50
vs ATxx (where the x's are total blanks): ~84/16
vs TTxx: huge dog
vs AKxx: huge favorite

etc...

In addition to the above though opponent matters. Some will only go nuts with a set+. some will only go nuts with a straight+. Yet plenty of others treat two pair as the nuts or even TPTK... so if you have seen your opponent go nuts with 1 or 2 pair i play this more aggressively than if i haven't. This isn't relevant currently since this is your first hand, but i always am paying close attention to what villains are actually showing down.

Feel free to rip me a new one if i'm way off here.

on another note..I finally ordered hwang's book and it should be here next week.

Last edited:
Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Full Tilt Poker $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 8 players
Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is MP1 with 2 9 9 2
Flop: ($1.00) T A 9 (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets $1,
Hero ?

Fold PF that is a shitty O8 hand.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And I didn't mention this but I would also agree I think..

it is two pair and double suited, but double suitedness is nearly worthless when the high cards are 9s... I'd probably like at least Q high. If you do make a flush with 2299 DS, you are very often going to be beaten by a higher flush if all the money goes in.

This does bring up an interesting question though... generally I would limp a low pp in HE just on a set mine... what kind of odds do you need to set mine a double paired omaha hand? do you ever want to do it because of the frequency of draws?

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Most times I would. But this was one of those times when I wanted to see the flop cheap. I was playing for the high.

it is two pair and double suited, but double suitedness is nearly worthless when the high cards are 9s... I'd probably like at least Q high. If you do make a flush with 2299 DS, you are very often going to be beaten by a higher flush if all the money goes in.

This does bring up an interesting question though... generally I would limp a low pp in HE just on a set mine

I wasn't just looking for a flush. I was looking at this hand to fill a boat. It is well worth it to see this flop cheap just for that. I also wasn't playing to scoop this hand. I was playing for the high and hoping to be in a pot were others were quartering the low. Sometimes you have to mix it up at this game. You can't always wait for the perfect hand. NL is a step beyond PL. A lot of times you are wagering your whole stack on just the draws it has.

I raised to $4. Now, too much, not enough?

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most times I would. But this was one of those times when I wanted to see the flop cheap. I was playing for the high.

I wasn't just looking for a flush. I was looking at this hand to fill a boat. It is well worth it to see this flop cheap just for that. I also wasn't playing to scoop this hand. I was playing for the high and hoping to be in a pot were others were quartering the low. Sometimes you have to mix it up at this game. You can't always wait for the perfect hand. NL is a step beyond PL. A lot of times you are wagering your whole stack on just the draws it has.

I raised to $4. Now, too much, not enough?
its still a piss poor god aweful hand. even when u hit ur hand, ur still never comfortable. i really dont think one can justify playing that hand unless they are super dooper good at reading ppl post flop and have a tremendous amount of experience