Possible to fold KK pre flop?

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It certainly is difficult to throw them away, 98% of time i would call or go all in. I would rather fold pocket aces because me and aces dont go very well together :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Unless it’s a high stakes poker game I’m not going to fold preflop. The odd of the villain having AA while you hold KK is less than 5%.

I believe it's closer to 4% and that's only while you're sitting in UTG & still have 8 players left to act. (if you were OTB w KK.. chances SB or BB will have Aces is ~1%)

It is much more likely to find you're up vs. AA in a micro or low stakes cash game (vs. a high stakes game).. depending upon the action. And yes, there are times when I REALLY feel they've got AA.. but (for example) if we've already put out a 4bet pre we can't fold for 100bb's.

A

Andy_mirON

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation: you can throw KK and AA - if you are on the bubble - getting into the money or when you're in the money and very large jumps in payments ...
All solves the situation, but always it is very difficult to throw the strongest hand in poker ...

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with KK isn't finding you're up against AA. After the flop they are both just pairs.

When the flop comes Ah 9h 7h how happy are you with Kc Ks against a pot size Bet?

S

StrateJKe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces to fear in poker is not to play....

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
King King

Hi there,

the question is, if you fold KK pre flop then what hands do you play?

I would never ever fold that hand and would rather take any potential loss then fold..ive always felt that if someone has AA then its just the run of the game..it always hurts more when ace rag spikes the ace but that happens a lot as i am sure you know.

The riskier play with KK is when i see players play it all the way to the river..then you really are inviting trouble!

Good Luck my friend

pirateglenn :D

H

Hunterlewis31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is only one hand in poker that beats it. No way im folding. ive won way to many times with KK than not and the odds the other person has rockets are slim.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only one hand ahead preflop. Lots of hands beat it post flop.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
proper poker play is to raise preflop with pair kings. Actual game play i've found someone always calls your raise with only an ace and then ends up getting a pair of aces. I've seen it time and time again. I've started hating getting pocket kings.

and yes the odds are in your favour with pocket kings but in reality your kings lose more often than they are meant to.

It sure feels that way sometimes....

I've never understood Ace-Rag thinking.....

The main idea is to bet when you are ahead and fold when you are behind.

Good luck !

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there are enough callers to an all in its worth folded kk...otherwise its tough

S

Supmargy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id personally never fold to a hunch when ive got kk. Maybe if you're in a bubble situation. But even then im not gonna fold often

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds of being up against AA are so low that you should never fold KK preflop.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I lose enormous amount of time with KK in hand.It is very hard to fold them.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't fold KK pre in freerolls or low buy-in tournaments where people are shoving a lot of junk. In a higher buy in tournament when we are deep or ITM and there are multiple raises and shoves from people with healthy stacks that have been playing tight ranges I will let KK go. Sometimes it does end up being AK vs QQ or something like that but most of the time it ends up being AK v AA and I am happy with my play regardless of the run out.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I went back after busting out from two tournaments today on KK. I played them 5 times all day and had 2 of the 5 best winning chip amounts and three of the worst five losses including the two bust outs.

For the bust outs I was short stacked and no benefit that I can see to slow play themif your going to fold to any big post flop bet unless you hit the set. That's playing them like 22.

Any wise words to set me straight?

emk211

emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on the situation, tourney, cash game, heads up, on the bubble, most of the time I would not fold KK pre-flop, but was there a blind involved, an ante, am I short stacked...so many factors play a role. What is my position, did a player push all in? Did they check raise me? How many players are in the hand, how many bet after me, how many called before me...

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation, tourney, cash game, heads up, on the bubble, most of the time I would not fold KK pre-flop, but was there a blind involved, an ante, am I short stacked...so many factors play a role. What is my position, did a player push all in? Did they check raise me? How many players are in the hand, how many bet after me, how many called before me...
You are so, so right. The game has so many variables. I think there is no set way to win,Chris Hansen play, for example brings out the many factors to be considered.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please... Please don't tell me "you knew he had Aces"... Pretty please with a cherry on top. I don't believe you are kind of foreteller and can see all hands before showdown. Firstly don't lie us and don't lie to yourself, there is no guy been born with that gift. Even Phil Ivey can't do that. So... let's talk seriously without all those superstitions. Secondly, a solid reg would never put a villain on a specific hand, it's a big mistake the most novices do. They put their villains on nuts and fold too much. Please don't bring yourself in that trap. As i said before, even if "you have a strong feeling from the best of your intuition", you are still not a foreteller, not a magician, not a prophet. In fact you can't be sure what exactly hand your villain has. That's why you should always put him on a range, not on a specific hand. You should keep in mind he could have some % of bluff too. Instead of giving only one hand, think about his range. It's the only way to come closer to the matter of reality.

S

SeriousBizzness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is incredibly hard to fold KK. ive done it before. but it was hard. I just made the choice that I didn't want to go all in at the time.

C

celoshida

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please... Please don't tell me "you knew he had Aces"... Pretty please with a cherry on top. I don't believe you are kind of foreteller and can see all hands before showdown. Firstly don't lie us and don't lie to yourself, there is no guy been born with that gift. Even Phil Ivey can't do that. So... let's talk seriously without all those superstitions. Secondly, a solid reg would never put a villain on a specific hand, it's a big mistake the most novices do. They put their villains on nuts and fold too much. Please don't bring yourself in that trap. As i said before, even if "you have a strong feeling from the best of your intuition", you are still not a foreteller, not a magician, not a prophet. In fact you can't be sure what exactly hand your villain has. That's why you should always put him on a range, not on a specific hand. You should keep in mind he could have some % of bluff too. Instead of giving only one hand, think about his range. It's the only way to come closer to the matter of reality.

Folding in Poker