Poker books that changed your life

S

SkrypnykOleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
)

I started reading the first volume of Harrington on Hold"em .
as for me a very interesting book and instructive! many examples of live tournaments. I can only recommend this book/

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have read online that some people who read books on poker strategy have felt the advantage gained in there game.
Is there any books that anyone can recommend.
Thanks

Hi. Are you interested in tournament play, cash games, or general strategy? There are good books out there depending on what you're looking for.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have a small library of books that I have read - most of them from cover to cover, but few in much detail. Books are still valid, despite what others may say. Now I get my books in ePub format.

Before picking up a book, you need to know what kind of poker you plan to play the most. Find one written by a respected author or player and that focuses on your game type. There are different strategies for tournaments than there are for cash games and fixed limit vs no limit. Some strategies cross over but others become losers.

Good luck with your search.

C

CCheckum13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A book I just started recently and have found helpful to my game is Jonathan Little. Mastering small stakes nolimit holdem. A ton of information in there. He breaks down every possible spot you could be in. Against every type of player. In any position. With any chip stack. Very well organized book. Glad I got it.

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think books such as Jonathan Little's are useful to create a basis for your style of play. Later on, you'll find that you're a lot more comfortable and profitable playing your own style.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament poker is what I mostly play.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you just run well in a tournament. Every1 has seen it the guy who calls a all in KK with 84 off and the flop comes 884. Frustrating. .YES.. Skillful. ..NO there is also a difference between calling and being brave and calling and being given silly
. Brave.. chasing a flush or straight depending on the price u are getting to call.
Silly... 2 calls. A raise then u shove all in with Q2off flop comes QQ2. At that moment they feel like the best player ever. Will win that hand but will not win a tournament like that.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jared Tendler's Mental Game of Poker

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
knowledge and mindset

Having knowledge helps to keep your head in the right place, a good head helps to apply your knowledge in the game. Poker is an activity or investiment of high risk, then, do not "deposit" the most part of your life on it. If you have money, waste a little bit of it with poker, if you have time, waste your time with other funnies. Study a lot to get reach your goals, but set poker in its suitable place. perhaps you are a beginner, then know, You will not learn to play it in one day, it is a long way up to the profitable game. Be pacient with yourself, with villains, with game.

R

RobAnaes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone seems to recommend the Harrington books, does anyone disagree? I don't know enough NLH to comment, they are certainly very readable. Does he update much in the modern tournament book?

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament play.. I just got 1 called tournament poker by David sklansky. Had a quick glance and it looks good. Once I've read it i will give cards chat a review.
Can any1 recommend any other mtt books or has any1 read this 1 and can give me some feedback.

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books to buy

Hi all.

Looking for some books to get me started on improving my NLH game. I play almost daily (recreationally) but want to take myself to the next level and start taking it more seriously. Anything from Sit and Go to cash game strategy would be useful to get a read on. Likewise poker mathematics to help with logic would be good.

If anyone knows of anything (books or sites online etc.) that has helped improve their game it would be very useful for me:D TIA

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look for the author Mossman and Harrington. Both good reads

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
strategies change all the time and a new book now will be an old book in a few months....

maybe just better to get the knowledge online?

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategies change all the time and a new book now will be an old book in a few months....

maybe just better to get the knowledge online?
What you’re saying makes sense however i’m sure that professional writers will have ways of making their strategies dynamic enough to survive in such a harsh market. But I do agree that so much is changing it may be difficult to pinpoint and stick to successful gaming strategies.

Would still like to find a few books to help solidify knowledge and refer back to, but maybe finding out information online would be just as useful (and probably cheaper too lol) because of how fast everything changes... a question for online though is that if the information is so available to everyone and very straightforward does it not cause many players to become too similar and predictable? Just food for thought, it’s probably a largely debated topic already.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Harrington

Harrington on Hold’em of Dan Harrington It's the bible of poker

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
makes reference more than everything for tournament players tr explains step by step strategies that you should apply when entering a tournament, every player who really wants to take poker should read the book ... not in vain is considered the best book of the world's poker

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
makes reference more than everything for tournament players tr explains step by step strategies that you should apply when entering a tournament, every player who really wants to take poker should read the book ... not in vain is considered the best book of the world's poker

Are you referring to his older original books or his most recent book that came out in 2014.....Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker?

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are new, struggling for your first big finish, it could be frustrating to see in tournament after tournament a fish with a big stack making it to the final table when you bite the dust, especially if it's the fish who stacks you.

There's no secret startegy being used here, I won my first ever 50c tournament in 888poker for $75, then I got second place in another tournament for $86, playing Ktrash and Qtrash hands all the way to the final tables. I was merely a fish on a heater.

The other day I saw this guy calling every hand, building a 500bb stack, crushing QQ+ pairs multiple times, completing all his draws, hitting two pair when dominated, it was sooo disgusting ... and funny. At some point he got wise, tightened up, got a little more luck here and there, made it to the final table. He punted away his stack for 9th place. I was having a laugh the whole time watching him get there with worse at every moment.

Learn to appreciate the fish, remember that you want them to play like that, don't feel discouraged. Understand that you probably still have a lot to learn, that it takes time to see the results, and that a fish can get lucky one day, but consistently doing well is only possible for those that put the effort.

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. I like the idea that you can quickly double your buy-in by playing against a weak player. So once I played in the HA CIS. The book "Collin Moshman - Heads-Up No-Limit Hold'em" is all you need to start winning in this game. First of all, we need to study the fundamental foundations of the game. Then in more advanced books, you can pick up some amazing ideas, for example in the book Bill Chen - "The Mathematics Of Poker".

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sklansky is the 52-card Confucius.
I wonder why he doesn't show up in more big tournament spots?

He probably just crushes mid-stakes anonymously, online and on the Res.