playing for 5 years but still being a beginner

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is not correct, if you are going to watch poker videos you have to see better poker tutorials, it is not correct to see videos that only the best plays in the tournaments are seen, that does not help you, those videos create fantasies
That's what I meant, to see poker tutorials with advanced tips and tricks. Not just live poker play.

belka2203

belka2203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What would improve your game, I once a week for 2-3 hours per week assort played hands in HM2. When you look at the hand slowly, realize their mistake, it is concluded, you know how it was necessary to play in this situation.:hmmmm:

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think being patient is the key to win in poker, have you ever tried that? sometime wanting to have more chips fast make us lose everything, you can also just watch youtube videos how professionals players do, it will help you a lot.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can relate to this. It took me a very long time to become a profitable player. Im not sure of you playing style, what your stats are, or how you shift gears based of the stage of the tournament. So I'm not too sure I can help you. What I can do is offer you a little advice that turned me into a profitable player from being in your shoes....

1st you gotta take a realistic approach to the game. What I mean by that is, you gotta assume that every player at the table around you is as good, if not better then you. Has as much if not more knowledge of the game then you do. Pay attention to everyone's movements, their betting styles, what they show down with. Take notes, once you start to gather information you can start to evaluate their actions.

Now keep in mind, if your taking the mindset that everyone at the table is as good as, or better then you. They are probably doing the same thing. Thus you need to start to think "outside the box". once you have enough info on your opp this is the point you stop thinking about "what I have" but more "what do they think I have". cause if you have enough information on your opponent you have a good idea of what they have when they commit to an action...

If you don't have information you play curious, tight, fit or fold, if you have too. Until you feel you have the edge on their playing style, and adjust accordingly. Thus you have built an image for youself as a "TAG fit or fold" style player. and when you switch gears, they will treat you like a TAG fit or fold for a little while, until they start to catch on, then you adjust again.

Don't bluff unless you know you can push them off. Hope is what is killing your game at this point. make sure every action you make has a purpose, and make sure that your confident the end result will satisfy the purpose. In other words, don't gamble/bluff unless you are are sure it will work.

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some players on here who take the free rolls and micro stakes games very seriously, and I've found it inspiring to see how dedicated they are to improving their game. They play as a hobby, but a serious one. There are many free resources online, such as on this site, and many free training videos on youtube. You can get good just by using what is available for free. Dedication to improving will mean stopping and thinking about hands you played, reviewing your sessions, and crunching some numbers. Get some odds calculators, there's a free one here. Use tracking software, post hands here for advice and discussion.

All the best!

Awrpze

Awrpze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in the exact same situation as you are. I don't know how many times I've reloaded and lost it up until now. I'm finally showing a small profit. Even though 5 years may seem like a long time, it isn't in the grand scheme of poker. Thinking in a more long-term way may help turn your mental game around and take some of the pressure you're putting upon yourself for losing.

When I play MTTs and make the final table, I usually play more positionally and let others out play each other before I make too many moves. Which is why I like to practice playing Sit N' Go's more often than jumping into MTT's. You get to final tables more if your play is consistent, and you can refine your tourney play with them. I find I also am less inclined to be overly aggressive with my bankroll (which is totally a leak of mine).

S

SuperPwn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play at lower stakes where you don't really care if you lose and build experience/confidence there. Try fancy or aggressive plays there where it's more affordable.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Get used to it. You may improve but you're always gonna mess up sometimes.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I recommend to read the book Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
This book was useful to me.

Mare10

Mare10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play poker lot time before :) never in my life i did not do deposit :) when i win some freerool i dont locking about money i play for learning fast tournament and i lose but i every time improvs my skils

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
Welcome to the club, many suffer from the same (me too).
looking to what you report:
- instability
- too agressive
- insufficient skills for the game you play
- loosing chips too fast
FYI: it could be a copy of me, except that I stick to freerolls until I know my skills are good enough.
What I did:
- study cc strategy article (and other poker for dummies articles)
- take a piece of paper
- map out starting hands on the paper, the typical set for TAG
- early in MTT: play less than the mapped hands
- close to bubble: play less than the mapped hands (unless chiplead)
- do not bluff
- essentially, eliminate your brain and stick to the paper
- stay away from dangerous pots (many chips, marginal hands; requiring betting skills)
- stay active in this forum
- become member of the freeroll club (FRC) (no of post and activity requireement)
- play FRC freerolls, you'll find extremely few maniaks/all-in donkeys early and then only in first few rounds; after that: ABC poker takes you far.
This works for me!
FYI: I try to find ways to move through the non FRC freerolls; how to deal with all idiots, very interesting.
Good luck!
Good

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out Phil Gordon's Little Blue and Little Green books. They at the least are fun to read. Seems like each book has its own story. Most poker books that I have read tell the success story and strategy of one poker pro. You may want to pick a pro who has the style you like and read his books. When I think about all those books I have read and all the Pros I have seen come and go..... Play the best game you can, play the style you like, study and leave the rest to lady luck, which ultimately always wins. Shucks.

deiwizzz

deiwizzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out Phil Gordon's Little Blue and Little Green books. They at the least are fun to read. Seems like each book has its own story. Most Poker books that I have read tell the success story and strategy of one poker pro. You may want to pick a pro who has the style you like and read his books. When I think about all those books I have read and all the Pros I have seen come and go..... Play the best game you can, play the style you like, study and leave the rest to lady luck, which ultimately always wins. Shucks.
It sucks that there are no poker books in the library in my town :D i guess ill have to order them online. thanks anyways!

J

JTerrence

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i play poker lot time before :) never in my life i did not do deposit :) when i win some freerool i dont locking about money i play for learning fast tournament and i lose but i every time improvs my skils

Hi! Have you tried using a poker training software like Ace Poker Drills for daily practice? I mean, if you're playing tournaments you might as well master the basics.

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try breathing excercises, meditation or use cognitive brain games on Apps that help your problem solving skills.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Thanks, do u know more useful books?

The most useful books on poker :
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say find you leaks and fix them. There is no other way and never was. As I can see, in just 3 posts you stated all your leaks.
Bad bankroll managment as in chasing lossess, entering tournaments without having the proper number of buyins and playing emotionally. There are millions books and articles about this.

My advice is treat poker as a business. If your business gives you some profit, you dont take every last dollar and buy new staff and if your business is always on minus side its better to close it and find something else.

Put the effort to become a better player not in playing the cards or the opponents but in handling yourself. Many famous pro players win millions from zero, I repeat MILLIONS and lose it all the next year cause they couldnt stop their undisciplined mind from not following a healthy bankroll managment.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I order my books online from Amazon. You can get some really great deals, much better cost (choice of used/new) and much better selection. Good luck with your plan.

B

badgerjim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just got that book, here's hoping it will help me to improve my game!

J

Jenya Zemlyanukhin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
practice judging soundly and not succumbing to excitement

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difficultest thing is to realize that you commit mistakes. Since you know that you do them why don't you stop? Nobody said it an easy process. But everything is in your hands. Just try to follow the discipline.
I just realized for myself that when I play tourneys I won't bluff except contbets.

deiwizzz

deiwizzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
Welcome to the club, many suffer from the same (me too).
looking to what you report:
- instability
- too agressive
- insufficient skills for the game you play
- loosing chips too fast
FYI: it could be a copy of me, except that I stick to freerolls until I know my skills are good enough.
What I did:
- study cc strategy article (and other poker for dummies articles)
- take a piece of paper
- map out starting hands on the paper, the typical set for TAG
- early in MTT: play less than the mapped hands
- close to bubble: play less than the mapped hands (unless chiplead)
- do not bluff
- essentially, eliminate your brain and stick to the paper
- stay away from dangerous pots (many chips, marginal hands; requiring betting skills)
- stay active in this forum
- become member of the freeroll club (FRC) (no of post and activity requireement)
- play FRC freerolls, you'll find extremely few maniaks/all-in donkeys early and then only in first few rounds; after that: ABC poker takes you far.
This works for me!
FYI: I try to find ways to move through the non FRC freerolls; how to deal with all idiots, very interesting.
Good luck!
Good
I just screenshoted this, it must be one of the best answers to my post so far, thanks a lot!

U

Ultra888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple. If you want to get better you need to think on a higher level. Watching training videos will help tremendously. You get to see how and why a high level pro does what he does. And then things start to make sense.

Message me for possible discounts.

deiwizzz

deiwizzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple. If you want to get better you need to think on a higher level. Watching training videos will help tremendously. You get to see how and why a high level pro does what he does. And then things start to make sense.

Message me for possible discounts.
It does but once i start watching them i start to think that they’ve got so much luck on their side lol