Pair of KK and an Ace on the flop - How do you play it?

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How to deal with this situation being that I have a pair of KK and an ace comes on the flop; I always analyze against whom I am playing: if my opponent has a good stack or not, and how they have played during the game for me to decide how to play. Whether or not you should call a bet or fold?

Last edited by a moderator:
MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In such cases, everything depends on the position and your style of play. Usually, with such strong cards, I will play aggressively.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually check then if he bets call... if he bets again usually fold but this is player dependent

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have KK you were probably the agressor, so you will want to start with a check first. If your opponent checks again on the turn, you can start betting for value. If he bets, take into account his previous action to decide whether to call or fold

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's totally dependent on the opponent(s). Against one caller I'm more likely to c-bet, my opponent has to think there are some aces in my range if I opened pre-flop, but my decision will be based on my read on villain (perhaps he calls with any ace, perhaps he's super tight, etc).
I am less likely to c-bet the more players remain in the hand as a c-bet is less likely to take the pot there and there's more chance of someone having an Ace.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to information-bet. If you get called, there's a good chance you're beaten. If you get raised, you're most definitely beaten.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play it aggressively,to good to fold

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check all the way through, maybe betting on the river. Don't get too attached to your hand because every hand can be beat.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am leading the action I will cbet hoping to win the hand there,and if I’m reraised a big amount I will be forced to fold. Unfortunately the ace kills our hand and our likelihood of winning or being ahead.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well i did raise or 3 bet preflop. so what do i think he may have called with. an Ace would definitely be in the range. so i would c bet flop and decide from there. i feel if he just calls its about a 75% chance he has an Ace or at least hit the flop. i would then proceed cautiously. but if he raises Im going to fold 90% of the time

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends...

...on position, and opponent playing styles. Since I am usually in an online tourney, I rarely have much of a read on opponents, so it's mostly position.

If I'm UTG, I will always push a decent-sized bet. If I run into resistance, then I become REALLY careful. If I have position, I will rarely call a bet, unless I think opponent is aggressive.

It's a tough spot.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the opponent. Depends on position. I like to put a feeler bet out and find out where I stand. Feeding my opponent a little morsel instead of one big bite in case they do have an ace and this also allows the outside shot that you happen to get a king for a bargain price. The problem with this style of play is if your opponent senses weakness and takes the hand away from you whether he or she has an ace or not.

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position and preflop play. I'll usually bet out the flop if I'm in position, check/call if I'm not, feel out the next street.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on so many things: type of the game (MTT/cash, freeroll/cash), your position, the way your opponents play etc. If it's freeroll and you're playing just for fun and to gain more experience, try to play such cards aggressively and carefully in different hands to feel the difference.

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look at the actions of the opponent that he did before. and of course the number of opponents in this hand with kings I will certainly try to weed out and stay one on one.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what kind of rep the other players have that are in the pot. I'd usually check to see what they want to do, if they check bet heavy on the river, if they bet small re-raise, if they bet large - what kind of rep do they have? TAG/LAG? Decide from there.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kk

i dont have i rule about it'
so ..... depence many things like stakes ,position , others players skill ...etc.
some times i bet some times i chek
and if i chek and the other player bet ...some times i call and some times i fold.
no rule. :icon_king:icon_king

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to deal with this situation being that I have a pair of KK and an ace comes on the flop; I always analyze against whom I am playing: if my opponent has a good stack or not, and how they have played during the game for me to decide how to play. Whether or not you should call a bet or fold?

In these types of cases you would want to play it cautiously as well you can take a risk if you have a bigger stack if you feel your opponent is bluffing.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK BOARD A HIGH

If you have only a strong C bet opponent if you have more than one player involved better check and analyze the odds of your hand and depending on the value of a bet that will be made call and a bad situation when the KK finds an A on the flop mainly without that Sej The HU.

:jd4:mateuspoker

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as you posted:

it depends on your oponent(s), how many players are in that hand, in what position, what happened during the last couple of hours,...... so many factors, there is no correct play, it all depends.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In holdem the flop is everything, you have every reason to shut down here.
He could be calling you with an Ace or he could be calling you with trips thinking you have the ace. I would just look to check it all the way out.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With King Kong, I play like this: check-flop, call-turn (if someone bets) / bet-turn (if someone checks), check on the river.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if my opponent has a lot of preflop strength, I will have a tendency to throw my cards but if that is not the case. I can try to pay to see his hand or better to bluff the shot if it does not cost too expensive but what is on it is that I would play my tournaments on this hand.

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yous said it all

There is no such recipy as "how to play..." there are so many different factors that you should consider, but stack size, your position, number of players are the most important in my opinion.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Chek, chek, chek, chek all the way (jingle bells)