**Official Micro Stakes Madness 5NL,10NL,25NL Focus Group**

Richyl2008

Richyl2008

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any 6max players feel like doin some sweats? Mainly playing 25 transistioning to 50, but don't mind doing it with people that play 5nl or 10nl.

feitr-nice post man, def a good read.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I have started reading this.

Its an extremely good book.. probably the best book I have read on NLH.

IMO far better than Harrington's cash seris because its far more consise. HOH cash was very wordy and hard to read; this is easier to get into.

The main focus of the book, I have read so far, is Range, equity and Maximisation.

These are topics which we talk about on here all the time, but not topics I have really seen covered in print before.

Well worth reading IMO. Ill let you know more in a day or two when I have finished it.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not trying to plug my own work but i think if you understand these concepts it will put you in good stead once you begin moving up. And i did spend all of 20 minutes on it so somebody better read it!

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/range-balancing-143150/

I have read it.

Very good article, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Im going to read it a few times over the next few days and then might ask you some questions if there is anything I am unclear about.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone up for a sweat session tonight? I finally got a headset and will d/ling skype as soon as I get done fixing Crystal's truck.

PM me if you do. I could use the help! LOL

VerbalKint

VerbalKint

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone tell me the basic differences in strategy between 10 NL at a full ring (9 plyr) and the 10 NL 6 max tables at PStars? I`m trying to nail it down in words myself but I seem to do MUCH better at the 6max tables. Only problem is I can`t really explain why. The only reason I see is that people open up their starting hands way too much and rarely back off when 3-betted. It comes in handy when you hit the AA or KK and get paid off %70 of the time cause someone can`t let go of top pair. Anyone else do better at the small tables? By the way, this thread kicks azz, thanks to all for the input. It`s really helped my game.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone up for a sweat session tonight? I finally got a headset and will d/ling skype as soon as I get done fixing Crystal's truck.

PM me if you do. I could use the help! LOL

I'll be around now-ish for a couple hours...AIM is The Shrog, msn the.shrog@live.com

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks to me like I'm getting targeted by a thinking player at some tables ($10NL). This player will generally be one to three seats to my left, will call whenever I open the pot (whether he's IP or OOP - my typical preflop opening from HJ to button is 4x BB), will call my cbet on the flop, and then will raise or c/r my turn bet. His stats will generally be around 20/8/2, and he will have one of the larger stacks on the table. My stats are generally 15/9/2, though my stats from the HJ to the button are much laggier.

Questions -

1. At $10NL, I'm not expecting this level of thinking - am I just seeing monsters under the bed, or is this a basic strategy at $10NL?
2. If I'm not being paranoid, what in my playing style is leading him to think I'm a good target for this strategy?
3. Does this player really have a hand (variation of "monsters under the bed" question)? Should I be trying to 3bet him on the turn with air at some point? He'll stop doing this if I show down a monster once or twice, or if I 3bet the turn - but I've only been 3betting the turn with my monsters.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks to me like I'm getting targeted by a thinking player at some tables ($10NL). This player will generally be one to three seats to my left, will call whenever I open the pot (whether he's IP or OOP - my typical preflop opening from HJ to button is 4x BB), will call my cbet on the flop, and then will raise or c/r my turn bet. His stats will generally be around 20/8/2, and he will have one of the larger stacks on the table. My stats are generally 15/9/2, though my stats from the HJ to the button are much laggier.

Questions -

1. At $10NL, I'm not expecting this level of thinking - am I just seeing monsters under the bed, or is this a basic strategy at $10NL?
2. If I'm not being paranoid, what in my playing style is leading him to think I'm a good target for this strategy?
3. Does this player really have a hand (variation of "monsters under the bed" question)? Should I be trying to 3bet him on the turn with air at some point? He'll stop doing this if I show down a monster once or twice, or if I 3bet the turn - but I've only been 3betting the turn with my monsters.

There isnt this level of thinking at 10NL IMO in general. When they are 3betting they probably do have a hand, I didnt see any 3bet bluffing at 10nl or havent seen any at 25nl so far.

Dont go 3betting with air on turns that are checked to you, just check behind and take the free card. They wont fold, however they will call down with 2nd pair so value town them when you have a set+.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There isnt this level of thinking at 10NL IMO in general. When they are 3betting they probably do have a hand, I didnt see any 3bet bluffing at 10nl or havent seen any at 25nl so far.

Dont go 3betting with air on turns that are checked to you, just check behind and take the free card. They wont fold, however they will call down with 2nd pair so value town them when you have TPGK+.

FYP

Seriously if they're calling with 2nd pair, you need to be betting TP.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYP

Seriously if they're calling with 2nd pair, you need to be betting TP.

Thanks WV, Just tried to give some advice but thanks for the helping hand buddy! Still trying to learn about advice and hand analysis so all help is sweet !!

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, i've taken all of your advice. I've put some funds on stars and I am going to move some of my tilt funds there as well.

Thanks for showing me the light!

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Questions -

I've actually got two players that are doing this same thing to me. One of them sucks, so I'm not worried, but the other isn't that bad and usually has me beat when he says he does.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anyone tell me the basic differences in strategy between 10 NL at a full ring (9 plyr) and the 10 NL 6 max tables at PStars? I`m trying to nail it down in words myself but I seem to do MUCH better at the 6max tables. Only problem is I can`t really explain why. The only reason I see is that people open up their starting hands way too much and rarely back off when 3-betted. It comes in handy when you hit the AA or KK and get paid off %70 of the time cause someone can`t let go of top pair. Anyone else do better at the small tables? By the way, this thread kicks azz, thanks to all for the input. It`s really helped my game.

There's a recent nice, simple post from NineLions that talks about position and aggression 6max vs. FR here (late in this thread, response to Stu): https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/playing-wider-range-hands-142787/ . This is probably a good start to a way to explain why a particular playing style will be more successful in 6max or in FR.

ChuckTs has a thread going about 6max HUD stats that implies some of the differences, though it's more stats specific: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Jurn, you up for a sweat? Shrog was going to but I think I was too late. If so, or if anyone else is, hit me up on aim. S/N is krokieman.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Jurn, you up for a sweat? Shrog was going to but I think I was too late.

Hey dude, umm not atm im pretty tired its 1am here. I will be up for one over the weekend if you want to, possibly sunday afternoon.

You 6max or FR?

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey dude, umm not atm im pretty tired its 1am here. I will be up for one over the weekend if you want to, possibly sunday afternoon.

You 6max or FR?

6 max 10NL, and yeah, that would be fine over the weekend.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a recent nice, simple post from NineLions that talks about position and aggression 6max vs. FR here (late in this thread, response to Stu): https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/playing-wider-range-hands-142787/ . This is probably a good start to a way to explain why a particular playing style will be more successful in 6max or in FR.

ChuckTs has a thread going about 6max HUD stats that implies some of the differences, though it's more stats specific: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/

Heh, thanks slycbnew, but mine is pretty basic as I was hoping some more regular 6 max players would jump in that thread. Since none did, I gave what I do/know.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mine is pretty basic as I was hoping some more regular 6 max players would jump in that thread. Since none did, I gave what I do/know.

Basic is good! :D It's a very nice, quick, simple summary of how losing three seats from the table affects number of hands played, hand selection, and aggression... Further thoughts from 6max regulars would be appreciated...

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks WV, Just tried to give some advice but thanks for the helping hand buddy! Still trying to learn about advice and hand analysis so all help is sweet !!

I keep wanting to do something fancy under the assumption that Villain is doing something fancy, which he generally isn't - the monsters under the bed are scarin' lil' ole me - thanks for the advice and hand analysis!

Dg, I was seeing this in multiple situations with multiple players over the last couple of weeks - I did take notes on two players that I really think are trying to float and play back at me assuming I'm cbetting air, but I think Jurn's right that in general I'm just seeing ghosts... But I'm definitely going to be watching out for these other guys...

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dg, I was seeing this in multiple situations with multiple players over the last couple of weeks - I did take notes on two players that I really think are trying to float and play back at me assuming I'm cbetting air, but I think Jurn's right that in general I'm just seeing ghosts... But I'm definitely going to be watching out for these other guys...

Well, the two I'm talking about are definitely chasing me around tables. If I load two tables, they are there within 30 hands. If I quit those tables and move to other tables, again, they are there within a matter of minutes.

I really don't care, because, as I said earlier, one of them is a total donk that took me for one stack and since then I've probably taken two and half of his. The other really doesn't bother me either as when he's in a hand with me, I just play straight poker. It actually makes it fun. When they show up at my table, I instantly start talking to them in chat. And if they are in the blinds I might steal with a 5x bet once just to get their panties wet.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When they show up at my table, I instantly start talking to them in chat. And if they are in the blinds I might steal with a 5x bet once just to get their panties wet.
LMAO :D

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice thread, bob! This is what I have been trying to do; have good pot control and try to make sure I get all my money in by the river. But it seems this week the doomswitch has been activated into "Bad Beat River Mode".