Need to be a donk

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I respect your opinion but may I say this..
Zigmund and Eastgate.Doesn't seem to me that they have any entertaining skills.
About Dwan ..he played his hand. I would of reraise with trips even with a low kicker and also reraise with the pocket aces.But as you see I'm here and they are there this mean more than a few words.
Yes I agree and I also do agree that this year has been MUCH better. I've watched random HSP episodes in the past when bored but this year is the first year I actively anticipate watching it right after it's aired. The shows have been absolutely amazing from a poker perspective and I have really enjoyed them this year. The last few I can say were lightly entertaining but not even close to this year. Hopefully they continue this.

phatmatt840

phatmatt840

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I respect your opinion but may I say this..
Zigmund and Eastgate.Doesn't seem to me that they have any entertaining skills.
About Dwan ..he played his hand. I would of reraise with trips even with a low kicker and also reraise with the pocket aces.But as you see I'm here and they are there this mean more than a few words.

I agree about the hand w/ Dwan, I would have thought one of the two (Eastgate or Greenstein) would have called him... they saw him show down some questionable hands at that point.

tubur69

tubur69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are slightly moving away from the topic but to continue the idea am I the only one who notice that most of the time even the pro's are making major winnings playing crap hands? Look at that game Eastgate trips,Greenstein pocket aces and the winner is Dwan(the worst hand).A few games later Greenstein sucks out on Dwan's pocket aces with j9 and win more than half a million.Both time the best hand lost.The only memorable winning best hand was when that unfortunate (again)Negreanu ran in to Beniamine's quads with his all in.
So what do you guys think the main reason is why pro's are playing crap hands if not to trap someone who's playing a decent hand.

D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what do you guys think the main reason is why pro's are playing crap hands if not to trap someone who's playing a decent hand.

I think they like to use their pro-reading skills to get a read on others and win extra hands etc. That's just my opinion though. :D

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What the hehehe stands for?
That I'm watching TV
that I have a TV
That I watch poker
or what?

I think he meant you discovered the secret of better poker and that watching the game on TV will do nothing but improve your game. After all the TV will always show you everything that you need to know about each hand you see.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are slightly moving away from the topic but to continue the idea am I the only one who notice that most of the time even the pro's are making major winnings playing crap hands?

Sure, the pros on shows like HSP sometimes win loads of money playing bad hands. That doesn't prove that you need to be / play like a donk to win at poker though (your original issue).

A big part of the beauty of poker is that it can work at so many levels. The level that Dwan / Greenstein / et al are playing at on HSP is nothing like any poker game you or I have ever been in, and you simply cannot take the things that they do in their games and blindly apply them to your games. It won't work.

In games with small buy ins, sometimes your opponents won't think beyond their own hand. "I have a pair of aces, therefore I'm going to call anything", even if they've only got a three kicker. Some might be thinking at the next level: "He bluffs a lot... I think he's bluffing now too. I'm going to call with my pair of aces". You won't find a lot of players that think past that level.

The guys on HSP think at completely different levels: "He thinks that I think that he thinks that I'm capable of raising with a wide range in this spot, so if I do X he's likely to do either Y or Z, and then...". They're not just playing J2o for the sake of it, they're playing it because of reasons A, B and C.

Stick to the basics in basic games, they'll serve you a lot better. That means mostly play good hands, in position.

B

Brian182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I had to guess what happened, it was that you got really lucky when you were new to poker. A lot of donk plays pay off, and a donk is not that much of an underdog to a shark online. Also, you played high stakes and just got really lucky for the most part. Sometimes, when you are a donk, you play much more aggressively than other players, and when you do hit a hand, people become really scared of you. Try to remember how you were playing before you read all those books. Was it the aggression that paid you off? How can you incorporate the new strategies you learned but at the same time, make players perceive you are playing like a donk? These aren't exactly tips, but just examples of new ways to think about your situation. I'll tell you what... when you finally learn how to play poker properly and yet aren't winning, it's much stressful than it was when you didn't really know how to play, but were basically playing for fun. Those you take it seriously practice good bankroll management, and treat it like stocks. Play a bunch of small stake games, play well, and be indifferent whether you win or get sucked out early, because in the long run, you'll be a winner.

terryfnsmif

terryfnsmif

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every one, even the ebst pro has played a few crap hands and sucked out thats just poker, as for you i think you just need to keep playing the way you feel comfertable but also learn and implment only what works with your style from books and pros and experince

T

thepokerjunky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were to follow the book exactly as it is, i see no reason for you
to be losing money. Those books give the esential tools for you to control
the outcome of a poker game. Now your saying you were a donk before,
and you earned more money. I would need to know exactly what you
consider a donk to be, and what i think might have happened was that
before you were playing well but you yourself believed that you were
playing loose, and as a result you tightened your game more than you should
have and resulted in loosing more hands. Thats a fair possibility.

tubur69

tubur69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were to follow the book exactly as it is, i see no reason for you
to be losing money. Those books give the esential tools for you to control
the outcome of a poker game. Now your saying you were a donk before,
and you earned more money. I would need to know exactly what you
consider a donk to be, and what i think might have happened was that
before you were playing well but you yourself believed that you were
playing loose, and as a result you tightened your game more than you should
have and resulted in loosing more hands. Thats a fair possibility.
You're right I've tightened my game more than it should be.
Before reading all those books I didn't really cared about anything like position raise and all that stuff.Probably I've scared off people by going all in with a
large variety of cards like small pairs and small connectors.They were thinking that I actually have a big hand and they folded.Stealing the pot many times gave me some stack advantage when I've played good hands.Now if I try to limp in when in early position or raise about 3 bb when in late position with a small pair I have a few callers and 90% of the time the flop shows 2 higher card than my pair.Most of the time I lose.
Still need to figure out exactly what was I doing good and what was bad.

S

spacemiu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok here is a great rule of thumb from Bryce Paradis: "if you don't know why you'r winning, you'r probably not" :) this is certainly your case. Practise makes perfect, try using a proper bankroll management and you'll be ok along the way.

J

jumping jack flash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
put the first month down to begginners luck (no offence) ive heard of guys winning huge bets on horses in the early days ,then becoming degenerate gamblers searching for that elusive winning formula they once had .accept that you have lots to learn ,and get on with it. takes years to get good ! if poker was easy we,d all be millionaires