MATelford

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does this imply you don't adjust at all based on the opponent? How about this example, you have JJ on the cutoff (cutoff = 1 to the right of the button), you raise to 3x and the BB raises to 11x. What do you do? Using this old school method what do we look at to determine what our next course of action is? Or would you open limp JJ in the cutoff?

Well. Playing jacks here is not very difficult. I you bet on the cutoff to 3 big blinds and get raised to 11 times the big blind you fold. Your out of postion with 3 blinds in there and are required to risk another 9 blinds to see a flop. Its a big raise and you could only call there in position. Usually your little HUD will tell you this guy has a high aggression factor and your all in. Technically he only has a 1 in 3 chance of having a better hand but you only have 3 blinds out there. Whats the point in risking it. Even against any two cards in the oppositions hand.

I can edit.
Again only Kings or Aces have real value here out of position facing a solid oppenent.If they are betting 3 blinds at a time, everytime it makes no difference at all. Alot of times, yes, you will be raised massive there with the like of 1010 or 99 but if you were swapped seats, you would be dominant. Therefore you shold fold AK or QQ's right there. Also beware of stack sizes. Your obviously not going to fold QQ against a raise to 11 big big blinds if he only has 11. This gives gold old fashioned showdown value.

If I limp here things become complicated in terms of physcology. I tend to lose alot of pots in the blinds as alot of players make plays here and then when they have a hand, it is very difficult to give respect. Especially a bet from the small blind after everyone has folded. A mean come on...

In good poker, it does not matter of hand value. Just wether you are ahead or behind.

Last edited:
zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully you can still edit and not waste a post, but would this change at all if the opponent was 3-betting you 100% of the time and either way what about if JJ = QQ instead? Or AK?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your little HUD

If you deal in sarcasm, then expect it in return.

As for the OP, if you played as transparently as you outline above then you would be crushed at any decent level. All of which suggests you've never played at them (unless of course the OP was referring to play money levels, in which case apologies).

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well. Playing jacks here is not very difficult. I you bet on the cutoff to 3 big blinds and get raised to 11 times the big blind you fold. Your out of postion with 3 blinds in there and are required to risk another 9 blinds to see a flop. Its a big raise and you could only call there in position. Usually your little HUD will tell you this guy has a high aggression factor and your all in. Technically he only has a 1 in 3 chance of having a better hand but you only have 3 blinds out there. Whats the point in risking it. Even against any two cards in the oppositions hand.

I can edit.
Again only Kings or Aces have real value here out of position facing a solid oppenent.If they are betting 3 blinds at a time, everytime it makes no difference at all. Alot of times, yes, you will be raised massive there with the like of 1010 or 99 but if you were swapped seats, you would be dominant. Therefore you shold fold AK or QQ's right there. Also beware of stack sizes. Your obviously not going to fold QQ against a raise to 11 big big blinds if he only has 11. This gives gold old fashioned showdown value.

If I limp here things become complicated in terms of physcology. I tend to lose alot of pots in the blinds as alot of players make plays here and then when they have a hand, it is very difficult to give respect. Especially a bet from the small blind after everyone has folded. A mean come on...

In good poker, it does not matter of hand value. Just wether you are ahead or behind.
how are u OOP when u raise from the CO and the BB 3bets u?
Are u playing reverse poker? since then u are addvice is rocksolid.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can edit.
Again only Kings or Aces have real value here out of position facing a solid oppenent.If they are betting 3 blinds at a time, everytime it makes no difference at all. Alot of times, yes, you will be raised massive there with the like of 1010 or 99 but if you were swapped seats, you would be dominant.
I'm not talking about people who 3-bet 99 or TT. I personally 3-bet about 7%. When I'm in the big blind and a steal is attempted (which would qualify you raising there), I 3-bet 20.3%. I'm going to use a fancy program called pokerstove. It's free. Here's what a 20.3% range looks like:

66+,A4s+,K8s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo

You are folding hands like QQ and AK to this range?

Also note that I actually pay attention to various opponents so that if you are folding almost every time I will literally 3-bet you 100% of the time. I will be 3-betting hands like J3o at you and you will be folding hands like AK and QQ.

Therefore you shold fold AK or QQ's right there. Also beware of stack sizes. Your obviously not going to fold QQ against a raise to 11 big big blinds if he only has 11. This gives gold old fashioned showdown value.
wait wait wait wait wait. You would not fold the QQ because it has showdown value?

Allow me to quote you here:

So in general if you are 3-bet and you hold QQ, you should call or raise when ahead and fold when behind right? So which is it and why does it matter if the opponent is now all-in or money is behind? What does how much money the opponet has in his stack have to do with whether you are ahead or behind?

I could work out the math of how badly me simply 3-betting 100% and folding everything but AA when you 4-bet or call my 3-bet would win against your non-adjusting strategy, but I would only be wasting my time.

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here all the answers to the various question that were asked throughout the past few days. Much apologizes for the delayed response.

Question 1 : From Zachvac.... What stakes do I play?

At the moment im playing at CD poker on the 0.01/0.02NL tables. I have a $50 bankroll from PokerRoomSchool.com, as my finicial situation is not one to be desired.

Question 2: From wvHillBilly... Do I multi - table?

Yes I do multi - table but I dont exceed my limit of only two tables at a time. I think too many tables can become overwhelming for any player.

Question 3: From Rileyl... Why am I sharing my poker wisdom among you?

I am doing this because of the reponse I received from the micro stakes thread. I feel liberated by the entire process and it makes my day when someone deservedly wins a pot against me.

Question 4: From Stevieg1976...

In my opinion you can play the hands in my chart at any level and just be profitable?

Yes. Playing weak hands is disasterous.

Question 5: From Stu Ungar... Why do I not use a "HUD" and do I not think using a "HUD" is an easier method of identifying players and player types at a table?

I do not use a "HUD" because the statistics are useless. People regularly change gears and a system telling what they are doing is misleading.
Using hardcore base stragety, there is no need for knowing if a player is aggresive or not. You should already know how to play a huge hand or outplay a bluffer cards and teqhnique. Instead of thinking that numbers have a solid purpose in playing a hand. I doesnt matter if the guy is betting too much, you cannot think you exploit him with a hand like JJ because he will wake up with QQ and your caught out completely.

Question 6: From D'wilius... Is this my opening betting hand range?

Yes it is. I ONLY play these hands unless its my blinds.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here all the answers to the various question that were asked throughout the past few days. Much apologizes for the delayed response.

Question 1 : From Zachvac.... What stakes do I play?

At the moment im playing at CD poker on the 0.01/0.02NL tables. I have a $50 bankroll from PokerRoomSchool.com, as my finicial situation is not one to be desired.

Its all I am going to say! You are trying to teach 200/400nl players how to play the game!

And for that reason... Im Out !

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not talking about people who 3-bet 99 or TT. I personally 3-bet about 7%. When I'm in the big blind and a steal is attempted (which would qualify you raising there), I 3-bet 20.3%. I'm going to use a fancy program called pokerstove. It's free. Here's what a 20.3% range looks like:

66+,A4s+,K8s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,A9o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo

You are folding hands like QQ and AK to this range?

Also note that I actually pay attention to various opponents so that if you are folding almost every time I will literally 3-bet you 100% of the time. I will be 3-betting hands like J3o at you and you will be folding hands like AK and QQ.

wait wait wait wait wait. You would not fold the QQ because it has showdown value?

Allow me to quote you here:

So in general if you are 3-bet and you hold QQ, you should call or raise when ahead and fold when behind right? So which is it and why does it matter if the opponent is now all-in or money is behind? What does how much money the opponet has in his stack have to do with whether you are ahead or behind?

I could work out the math of how badly me simply 3-betting 100% and folding everything but AA when you 4-bet or call my 3-bet would win against your non-adjusting strategy, but I would only be wasting my time.

You really are in denial of this theory my friend. Let yourself bet your 20% range and lets see you "3bet,4bet,5bet" with your weak hands. I wait until I have you and thats it. You have a J 3 I have JJ its all over.

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all I am going to say! You are trying to teach 200/400nl players how to play the game!

And for that reason... Im Out !

So are the begginer players on high stakes?

Thats a first!

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this isn't a massive level.

Telford. Zach is playing 200nl and some 400nl, other who've posted are playing 200nl

I'm a ring noob and only play 100nl atm.

Zach probably knows what he's talking about. He/we post in here to try and help give a perspective and support players at lower limits. It's not intended to patronise, but you can expect a winning mid-stakes player like Zach to probably understand a little more than you are giving credit for.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Why do I feel like I am rubbernecking a car wreck reading this thread?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really are in denial of this theory my friend. Let yourself bet your 20% range and lets see you "3bet,4bet,5bet" with your weak hands. I wait until I have you and thats it. You have a J 3 I have JJ its all over.
But your gonna fold JJ to his 3bet.......

What your failing to realize is that the game changes every time u move up a level,players in general become better and if your only playing AA,KK,QQ u will never get paid off.
You will be a weak tight fish every one at the table will be stealing from if u ever move up.
Why to u think that noise bleeds players seems so crazy aggro and are playing hands like 105o from utg?
Its because of the didnt they would never be paid off when they have AA cause every one at the table knows there play.
Your weak tight strategy MIGHT work at 2nl but trying to argue with players like zach,c9,rex,jagsty ect that actualy have worked there way form the micros up to 50-400NL that this strategy would work there is simply stupid imo since they obvs. have a better understanding of the game dynamics at those levels.....

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It's all over. You mean you 4-bet and I fold? When you wait for monsters it gets kind of obvious when you have a monster does it not?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Zach plays 2/4, a.k.a 400nl, not 200/400... :eek:

But yeah, a lot of the people arguing with you here, Matelford, are playing 100nl, 200nl or 400nl. You can find some listed here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...current-nlhe-cash-game-levels-regular-127382/

The thing is, most of us started at the lowest stakes too and climbed through the ranks, so we still like to talk with the people in the micro-stakes learning thread who are willing to follow the same path, but we do have a quite a few low and medium-stakes players here (following pokerstars' terminology).

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aryt usually I dont give up easy but if this is the way you guys want it

**** IT
9 out of 10 people in this thread have been brainwashed over the years on here.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Think he meant, 200nl and/or 400nl :)

Wait until you have him? But the amount of times you fold to the 3-bet means he's gonna be way ahead in terms of taking down pots. Then the first time you 'have him' it's an easy fold.

Although, I kinda think this is a level....

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a giant level, there's no way OP would admit to playing 1c/2c if it wasn't.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

But yeah, a lot of the people arguing with you here, Matelford, are playing 100nl, 200nl or 400nl. You can find some listed here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...current-nlhe-cash-game-levels-regular-127382/

The thing is, most of us started at the lowest stakes too and climbed through the ranks, so we still like to talk with the people in the micro-stakes learning thread who are willing to follow the same path, but we do have a quite a few low and medium-stakes players here (following pokerstars' terminology).

I meant some 200nl and some 400nl not 4knl lol ! my bad

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And wasn't Tenbob pretty much the only one saying we should listen and take it easy ?

hmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And wasn't Tenbob pretty much the only one saying we should listen and take it easy ?

hmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

For like 27 reasons, no chance on god's green earth that's Tenbob.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh well, it was fun while it lasted. Unfortunately I was put on his ignore list pretty early as he declined to answer any of my questions. I feel hurt and my spirits are somewhat dampened. I hope I can overcome this anguish and learn off you 200-400nl no hopers instead, as I really wanted Mat's input to get me through these difficult times!