marginal hands and different positions.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K9s is the absolute minimum I would ever open UTG in a 6max cash game. Add an additional 3 players behind and it becomes a lot tougher to play. Snap fold in any scenario IMO.

It's a really good hand to 3Bet with though. Straight + flush possibilities + blockers = sexy postflop playability.

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K9 suited is a strange hand. When analyzed using poker software I often find it is just over the line into the range of bad starting hands, for some reason.

K9 suited is a horrible hand because it ends up being such a big RIO (reverse implied odds) hand.

When the board hits K X X.... you end up bleeding money to better kings.

When the board hits Q J T.... You get anally raped by AK

basically, I find there's little difference between K9s and K5s. Essentially they are just both FD hands in which you are hoping to hit. So if you have great odds to draw then fine draw. But K9s in and of itself isn't a good hand by any stretch. I auto fold K9s everywhere accept HJ, CO, or BTN. And I rarely if ever call a raise with K9s even if in position. I would need insanely good direct and implied odds to play K9s in a raised pot.

Its one of those hands that on the surface may seem okay, but when you think about it, its just dog shtt

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
j10

Is this hand good? More specifically 9 mqx table first to act or very early with nobody in before you. I have been raising, thoughts? Will this turn out like my k9 thread? Lol

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mediocre hand

What do you guys do wih mediocre hands when you are small blind and it folds around to you? My versions of mediocore hands now ...umm like k9, jq, a4, should I raise? I have been but then when they reraise im unsure what to do. Should I even be raising in these situations? What to do when raised?

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a2 suited

Early position nobody in before you, raise or fold?9 max

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would you raise k2 suited here? no

apart from the lowest straight draw it isnt a great hand oop

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy fold full ring

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they are the same suit are safe fold!

But if they are of the same suit you got a chance to get higher color! or Straight! jejjeje or straight flush! I think it's an interesting hand to see the flop!

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play JT (suited) from mid position on, open raise, or limpp behind. If table is right I will open raise early (rare). I also like JT to raise limpers if I am in late position.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow a thread about one of my favorite hands.

J-10s is not that great of a hand though. But when I hit with it, it seems like a sniper hand.

There really isn't a one size fits all. However, generally speaking it is better to play a hand like J-10 in position.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this hand good? More specifically 9 mqx table first to act or very early with nobody in before you. I have been raising, thoughts? Will this turn out like my k9 thread? Lol

I would not recommend playing JT, suited or unsuited, from early position. It's fine to play it from mid- or late-position, but you should never re-raise with it and I likely wouldn't raise it from mid-position at a table with many aggressive players.

As a general rule, JT (particularly suited) is the kind of hand that plays well multi-handed. I'd recommend playing it 3+ handed and a cheaply as possible.

Best of luck.

-HooDooKoo

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look man, just search on here or on google for full ring starting hand ranges by position. It will lay out a good general guideline for every hand instead of just asking hand by hand. Save you a bunch of time.

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look man, just search on here or on google for full ring starting hand ranges by position. It will lay out a good general guideline for every hand instead of just asking hand by hand. Save you a bunch of time.

I like the feedback, history, and examples

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jq and a4 and even k9 are not mediocreheads up they pretty strong and yes i woul raise and 4bet with those heads up. do not limp its hard to play those hands without position and without control the raise gives u control of the hand.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm, Mike Caro says youll make more money over time if you always just call from the sb. Good luck.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take into account your table image and how the BB has been playing as well. Chip stacks matter too. Don't raise without having a plan on what your next move will be.

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
micromoi is right about not limping in a multi-way pot, size your p/f raises correctly and you will successfully narrow the field. Hopefully gain position as well.

Half the time these people who call will fold to your standard sized continuation bet.

As you get around to the button it becomes easier to raise weaker hands so your early position range should be tighter than late position (obviously because you haven't seen it fold around to you, you know nothing about the rest of the table's potential strength). When you get raised you should determine the type of player like how aggressive they are and whether they are capable of making a move against you.

Half the time fold to the re-raise depending on your read and half the time I'd say call. It depends on whether or not you still have position on the raiser too. If you still have position then you can give up the "lead" because you were still the original raiser, the call disguises your hand they won't know if you have them beat. Its not about ego or getting in the final raise it's about taking down the pot.

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are hands that fall under this? Would it be 9j, jq, k8, etc.? After we come to a defenetion of it, how do you play them? Is it mid to late position fold any previous raises, or raise 3 big blinds if nobody in before? Or should I only play if im in late position? Always fold these in early position? I feel I have gone from a garbage player to an ok player, just fear the leaks in my game im ignorant of. How do you guys find mistakes you dont even know your making (if that makes sense lol)

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What are hands that fall under this? Would it be 9j, jq, k8, etc.? After we come to a defenetion of it, how do you play them? Is it mid to late position fold any previous raises, or raise 3 big blinds if nobody in before? Or should I only play if im in late position? Always fold these in early position? I feel I have gone from a garbage player to an ok player, just fear the leaks in my game im ignorant of. How do you guys find mistakes you dont even know your making (if that makes sense lol)

8-3 suited or better :p

Insta-fold hands you wouldn't call a raise with if you're in early position. I'd say raise whatever amount you feel justified given the situation if no one has RAISED before it gets to you.

This can't be a guide for EVERY time you have a mediocre hand. Usually it is wise just to fold those long shot hands, but against a weak opponent well... you can play a little more of your range.

By varying your play though you make it increasingly hard for people to get a good read on you. That is why when I re-raise (3bet) somebody else's original raise and successfully "squeeze" out most of the other players at the table I can turn a monster hand like sixes full of fives on a board of J6595. If I feel like I am up against an overpair or AK type hand I am so happy and I shouldn't split the pot bc any other 6 folded.

No one expects that they are beaten by that. Otherwise they play weak against you when they don't hit and you can take down pots as well. Cheers!

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you guys do wih mediocre hands when you are small blind and it folds around to you? My versions of mediocore hands now ...umm like k9, jq, a4, should I raise? I have been but then when they reraise im unsure what to do. Should I even be raising in these situations? What to do when raised?

The best thing you can learn to do is fold nearly everything from the small blind.

Players incorrectly think of the SB as being "priced in".

No.

the small blind is better viewed as paying for the privilege of risking your entire stack with a mediocre hand from the worst position possible after turning your hand face up as garbage....

When viewed like that, the SB becomes much less attractive.

I pretty much autofold everything from the SB except SCs, S1Gs (suited one gapers), broadways, and pairs. Hands like 96o, J7o, Q3s I autofold from the SB without a second thought. And if the pot is raised preflop, I only continue with pockets, Axs, and SCs and S1Gs and I need insanely good direct and implied odds,with a minimum of 2 villains each 20:1 deep in implied odds

Or put another way, it is virtually impossible to over fold or fold too much from the SB. When you look at a breakdown of position vs winrate you will see that EVERYONE is a losing player from the SB. The best you could ever hope for is to be a breakeven player from the SB and I would argue that even that is virtually impossible.

So basically, you should be folding 70% of your small blind hands without a second thought

Hmmm, Mike Caro says youll make more money over time if you always just call from the sb. Good luck.

Are you sure??? Looking at online databases and tracking on winrate vs position, its pretty well established that no one is a winning player from the SB.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands