NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A friend of mine says he will treat the blinds like early position nearly every time. Checking my stats... I really wish that I could say the same for myself.

I play a lot from the small blind. I think it may be due to the fact that I play a lot of 6-max so there is a bit more motivation to keep up with the rake and not let too many hands go by.
--In full-ring games and/or tournaments, I really shouldn't play the way that I usually do in SB--

For example, out of 3100+ hands my stats from the SB are VPIP 47.9% / PFR 22.9% -- I only WTSD 27.9% from the SB but WMSD is 60%

Humongous difference from my overly tight BB strategy VPIP 20.7% / PFR 6.6%

In contrast to my friend who treats both blinds like early position / UTG -- I treat the BB like early position and the SB like late position, lol. Chock it up to a high number of steals attempted maybe.

Now how do I milk my stats to determine if I am a losing player from any given position? Which stats are going to be the most important there JCLA, how did you do that?

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing 50% of hands from the SB is most likely suicide. You would need massive edge on most opponents at your table to show a profit.

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing 50% of hands from the SB is most likely suicide. You would need massive edge on most opponents at your table to show a profit.

I AGREE!

Nvr... you certifiable MANIAC. Wait... those ARE my stats :hmpf: Overall (every position combined) I go to showdown 33.9% of the time and win money @ showdown 59.7% Is this what I should be looking for?

When combing through certain stats it is hard for me to determine how crazy it really is. I need to determine what I should be looking for to gauge whether winning/losing from any position or set overall.

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I AGREE!

Nvr... you certifiable MANIAC. Wait... those ARE my stats :hmpf: Overall (every position combined) I go to showdown 33.9% of the time and win money @ showdown 59.7% Is this what I should be looking for?

When combing through certain stats it is hard for me to determine how crazy it really is. I need to determine what I should be looking for to gauge whether winning/losing from any position or set overall.

How do you get stats like that?

S

Stowie101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K8 or K9, suited or not, is garbage. More often than not a losing play if you get involved in a hand with these two starting hands.

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How do you get stats like that?

My bad, I meant to ask the question to a different person.

DgiHarris said something about everyone having losing stats from the SB and I would like to know how he cam to that conclusion (using which stats).

I used pokeit.co software for free to track about 5000 hands in order to get my statistics here.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over the long term it would be odd to not be losing from the SB and BB, unless the games are loleasy.

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad, I meant to ask the question to a different person.

DgiHarris said something about everyone having losing stats from the SB and I would like to know how he cam to that conclusion (using which stats).

I used pokeit.co software for free to track about 5000 hands in order to get my statistics here.

There is a link on that "other" poker forum site that shows the data someone pulled a while ago doing the analysis of winrate vs position.

various players pulled their stats and posted it on that thread and EVERYONE'S stats showed that they were losing players from the SB. And I'm talking about online grinding studs who murder the game.... and even they were losing players from the SB.

I'm pretty sure Poker Tracker does a breakout of your stats and you can look at position vs Winrate. Do that, and you should see that you are a loser from the SB. Which makes a lot of sense.

The small blind is the WORST position in poker.

Position is IMPORTANT in poker.

Players tend to overcall from the SB with hands they would never even call with in late position because they erroneously believe they are "priced in" and getting a discount...

And even if players did not overcall from the SB, even if players played the SB perfectly, it will still be the position from which you lose the most money in. And since you are forced to dump 1/2 a blind in that position then you will be a losing player from that position.

Think it through, it is virtually impossible to be a winning player from the small blind with anything approaching a decent sample size.

Worst Position + Mandatory Cost + Speculative Hands = -EV

and even if you play correctly

Worst Position + Mandatory Cost + Decent Hands = -EV

because

Speculative Hands = 10 x Decent Hands

and

Speculative Hands x Mandatory Cost = -winrate :(

I'm sure some of you have Poker Tracker and can do a break out of your stats vs position. If you do and post it, then we should see a negative winrate from the Small blind...

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands