List your biggest mistakes

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
biggest mistakes at poker: no honor blinding out...

Hello guys!
Today I decided to take a break and evaluate everything I really know about poker, after many bad results on and off the tables (bad plays and bad bankroll administration), in fact, I'm just a beginner, a beginner who did not have no instruction, never start something without reading the manual, that's the most sincere tip I can give you. Anyway, I made this post with the intention of exposing my biggest mistake when starting in poker and I would like you to post your biggest mistakes, so maybe we can improve the lives of many here haha.
My biggest mistake in poker was to enter the tables online knowing no more than the strength of each hand (seriously), okay, for a recreational player, maybe you do not need to know much about this sport, but when you want to be a professional , you need to define well what to do, how to do and where to do it. Okay, what I mean is you should know where to start, I've been playing countless types of tournaments, from Sit & Go laps to mega deep hyper turbo tournaments, all at once, without mastering the strategies and plans needed for none of them and that was my biggest mistake. Today I think for a beginner, should focus on a single type of modality, I'm not talking about "Ahh, I'm going to play PLO", but what PLO? 6, 7 or 8 max? How big is the field of this tournament? Anyway, post your biggest initial mistakes here so we can laugh or cry together haha

My biggest mistake is a is a tendency: When I know I have to make something happen, if I get a decent pocket, JJ and up, I am tempted to shove. Is there more honor in a coin flip, vs. grinding to the extreme and getting blinded out?

A

awkplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is a is a tendency: When I know I have to make something happen, if I get a decent pocket, JJ and up, I am tempted to shove. Is there more honor in a coin flip, vs. grinding to the extreme and getting blinded out?

JJ is a good hand to shove if you are in the right conditions, it is not wrong to want to shove JJ + hands when you are short (I just shook AJo with 11 BBs at a final table).

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not playing online poker, more specifically, MTT's when it was legal to do so, and I had nothing but time to grind them out.

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is the wrong choice of the poker room (pokerstars). On PS, big money is spinning, and it is very difficult for newcomers to play and win big money.

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded a straight flush did not realize I had it til I folded it

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistakes are losing my bankroll in a cash game that was built from tournament cashes and wins. I have to learn to not put alot of money on the cash tables after a win or high cash. Kills me every time.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always go all in but...in the wrong time, patience is a good friend

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never going to say because someone else may try the same one

A

awkplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistakes are losing my bankroll in a cash game that was built from tournament cashes and wins. I have to learn to not put alot of money on the cash tables after a win or high cash. Kills me every time.

There is a topic here in the CC about bankroll management, it can help you a lot (just as you are helping me).

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I've had a few howlers over the years, and this one happened many years ago. It was the first and only time, I have slow played AA.

The very first hand of a tournament I got dealt AA in the BB.
Everyone folded, except the SB, who just called.
To keep the SB interested, I checked.
The flop was A77.
SB checked and I checked.
I cannot remember the turn card, but we both checked.
Again, I cannot remember the river card, but the SB checked and I put in a modest bet.
The SB put in a substantial raise, so I went all-in, as did the SB.
Talk about the stalker being stalked. The SB had 77.

I could well have been on a hiding to nothing here, but I have never slow played AA since.

J

Jeffbento

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing out of position and AK especially.

C

CrashMcCarran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking that I can blow everyone off every hand. Probably the biggest flaw in my game is that I continue in too many spots with no hand Thinking I can out play everyone.

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is that I have not found my own strategy yet so I follow other players. I am learning how to play cautiously or how to be aggressive or how to be brave and when I do the same it never works. :)

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest mistake is when you approach the cow from behind and the bull from the front. Guarantee of your pleasure received.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm biggest mistakes...

Well I can only tell of my mistakes...

I used to play a lot of hands whether in position or not...tried to raise big thinking others would fold...playing where stakes were too high for my bankroll...all of which cost me money.

I have since really worked on my game and have studied/read a lot about the game...I play smarter now...I can take a loss and not try to immediately get it back like I used to...I have learned position and playing in position is key to winning a lot of times...Managing your bankroll and not playing a big stakes table to "win quick" is important...

I would not say I have perfected my game cause I continually learn and I've been playing 20 years now...keep playing keep learning and enjoy the game...

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am probably the worst bank roll manager ever.
I should take more poker brake when I'm on a bad beat.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
misread hand on a couple occasions.

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is not being aggressive enough and also not playing at a high level those are the weaknesses that i need to work on my game

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll Management

Play too tight near the bubble

Lack of focus/multitasking

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake ever was when I first started playing nl holdem, I flopped quad 8s in the sb and I checked with 2 others in the hand. cutoff bet $35, button folded and I reraised to 70. He folded of course. I'm still mad at myself and that was 20 years ago!

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest mistake was when i lost at a lets say 3x 3.30 tournaments or sit&go games i would play a 7.50 game to win my loses back.. Not a smart move since if i would lose that i would try a cashgame or 11,00 games what is really stupid to do. But good thing that didn't last for long and that's all in the past now :)

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistakes often happen deep with AK. Unfortunately I have been very unlucky with this hand when it’s needed most.

I have the same problem, although it's more my stupidity than being unlucky. In one of the most recent tournaments, I literally made the WORST possible choice on every street until I folded. I'm definitely working on my play with AK. You have to keep in mind that without pairing the board, it's really not much better than 72. No matter how pretty your hole cards look, a lot of times you just need to throw them away.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok time to shame myself! My two biggest repeated mistakes right now:

1. Tilt / Not getting up and walking away when I cop a bad beat or downswing. Happens now and then, and always results in making my losses a lot worse. Trying hard to work on this. I'll never be a good/profitable player unless I can knock that on the head.
2. Spending ages studying and building ranges that I believe will give me an edge and minimise tough spots while taking advantage when appropriate... but then ignoring or pushing the boundaries of my ranges when I get frustrated or impatient.

If I listed my minor mistakes would be here all day, but have to start somewhere ;)

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have one also. I was in the last 200 of the micromillions Main Event. The UTG, a very active guy shoved 12BB. I had approx. 20BB and AQ. The payout jump was 150$ and I folded, even though I put the guy on a wide range (44+, A9S+, AJ+, KTs+ KQ+, without having a monster.

I've made the big mistake to fold (tired, scared money, etc). The Button Called with AK and the board was something like A2T7Q. I should have shoved I and would be going to the FT. I took 500 dollars, but I should have taken that risk.

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing late or not folding to a reraise when i got 2 pi on the board when i m chip leader