Limit Game Monthly Discussion - May, LHE

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like LH and slowly progressing into the 7 stud variations with the overall goal to learn to play HORSE by the end of the year. Currently reading 2 books on stud, "Ken Warren Teaches 7 Card Stud", and "How to beat low limit 7 card stud by Paul Kammen". there is also alot of what seems to be great information on line at 7cardstudstategy.com and at poker.org. Just contributing. Enjoy the evening

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ran across this idea recently in a vid, it may be basic to everyone else, but... Relative position.

Say we're BB. UTG folds, MP folds, CO limps, BTN raises, SB folds. We're getting 4.5:1 to call, and given that CO is going to call the vast majority of the time (assume for the moment you have a read that he's unlikely to 3bet), we're really getting 5.5:1. Not too shabby.

Let's change the scenario a bit. We're in BB again, but the action this time is CO opens, BTN calls, SB folds. We're getting the same odds as before, 5.5:1, again not too shabby.

However, the two situations are not equivalent. The second scenario is far superior for us to call in. Our relative position to the raiser is much better in the second scenario than the first.

In the first scenario, say we catch a reasonable flop that we want to continue on, but we're not keen on c/r'ing. We check, CO checks, BTN bets, we call - do you see the problem? We don't know what CO is doing, if he c/r's, we've got a bit of a problem.

In the second scenario, we catch the same flop, we check, CO cbets - and now we get to see exactly what BTN is going to do before we put any more money in the pot.

So, our position relative to the pfr is an important consideration in the playability of our hand postflop - we should be more willing to call when we have good relative position, and less willing when we have bad relative position.

Again, sorry if this is basic - it wasn't something I'd been thinking about in NLHE, since I rarely call in the BB in NLHE...

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets discuss blind defense.

Given a button raise from an opponent who steals ~40-60%, what are our calling & 3-betting ranges going to look like for the following player types:

1) LHE Reg
2) Maniacal Fish
3) Weak-Tight HORSE player whose weakest game is LHE

I'll get us started with the following:

Poor players
Sklansky advocates playing hands in groups 1-8 against poor opponents, re-raising with the best 25% of those hands. So this gives us a range of:

Call Sklansky Group 5-8 (30% of hands), and 3-bet Group 1-4 (10% of hands). And we call 40% of the time total, leaving our fold to steal at 60%.

Sklansky however, puts a lot of emphasis on being suited and connected. For example, ATs is in group 4, while ATo is in group 6. This is likely due to this book being written when limit hold'em was a softer, more passive & limpy game, with many flops being multi-way. In today's games where most play is at 6-max tables, and more flops are heads up, I believe his rankings may not be exactly optimal. But nonetheless, they provide a a very solid starting point.

Other resources that might help:
MEbenhoe's Shorthanded LHE hand chart
EV by starting hand

Last edited:
slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, if you haven't checked out the last two links in c9's post, you may want to, it's really interesting.

Note in the Ev by starting hand the difference that being suited makes - unsuited connectors are marginal at best. Also note that small pp's are trash.

I have to digest the hands chart still, but interesting model - esp since it accounts some for table conditions...

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, hand chart - notice that when facing a raise, the chart creator only lists one of two options for any hand - re-raise or fold. And overlimping is reserved for very few hands. Interesting.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The next DTB video will be from Paul (Giant Buddha) - so we will post the link here for you guys once we get it set up. (That will probably be tomorrow)

ats777

ats777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The next DTB video will be from Paul (Giant Buddha) - so we will post the link here for you guys once we get it set up. (That will probably be tomorrow)

Awesome - look forward to watching it. Thanks

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK so i just started to play LHE and have put in roughly 3k in hands but seems that i win some but lose most of it back. To be honest its on hands that turn 2 pair but odd 2 pairs like T3 or J3. It seems that in limit at least the limit i play ppl just completely call u down wit any pair. I have some stats that i have taken screen shots of and was hoping if i could get some help with maybe understanding where my leaks are at. I have uploaded my position stats, overall stats, and my overall graph for LHE. IF u need anymore stats let me kno and i will get screen shots up. I am currently playing .02/.04 limit.

i know this was a long time ago, but you need to be much more aggressive. your agg. factor is at about 1, try to get it up to 2.5 or 3. this will bring up your money won without show down and on the hands you win you will win much more. i had the same problem as you but since i started being more aggressive i have had much more success

ats777

ats777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok - just noticed something interesting with my stats this month playing FL. Hoping someone can shed some light onto this whether this is a leak or something normal... (Sample is over about 11K hands)

My Flop Cbet% stays pretty constant regardless of position, however, my Turn Cbet% steadily declines as my position becomes later.

Example:

SB: 91.9
BB: 93.0
EA: 84.8
MD: 77.4
CO: 78.0
BT: 67.2

Is this just me taking advantage of my position by seeing free cards or am I taking the foot off the peddle when I shouldn't? Interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm also interested in everyone's thoughts, but maybe not for the same reason - I think I 2 barrel too often in LHE, and that specifically I'm doing it too often oop.

ats, I think we'd also need to see your VPIP/PFR by position - if you're extremely tight in SB and BB and extremely loose on BTN, maybe the difference is that you've got the goods more often oop than in position, so need to take a free card more often in position?

ats777

ats777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sly - I'm right there with you about two-barrelling. I also feel like I do it sometimes too much....I'll even three barrell as well...although not as frequent as two-barrelling. It seems like a fine line balancing between agression and recklessness.

Here are my PFR/VPIP stats using same sample. BTW, this is all full ring, mostly at $1/$2 limit (figure the limit will play a role in analysis as well).

SB: 33.3/11.8
BB: 30.3/5.6
EA: 13.9/10.9
MD: 18.2/13.4
CO: 22.1/16.2
BT: 24.0/17.9

After re-looking, I can see the argument that the reason my turn c-bet% goes down is since I'm raising with a wider range of hands in late position.

As an aside, I've been a little on the loose side this month, over-limping far more than I should. Something I've been working on and battling (habit left over from my rec player days years ago) so if anyone sees anything about these numbers that cause concern, feel free to share. I'm not sure how I feel about my SB/BB stats...I can't imagine the BB VPIP # should be that high. My overall stats have been running 21/12.5 or so. I really want to get that 21 down to about 18ish so I've been trying to cut out those situations where I'm limping when I probably shouldn't.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to ask for one more stat - 3bet by position?

ats777

ats777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a hand I marked from last night that goes right along the question of two-barrelling...

Villain is 39/3/.4 over small 63 hand sample.

poker stars $1.00/$2 Limit Hold'em - 10 players - View hand 709927
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is BB with Q
diamond.gif
A
spade.gif

2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 6 folds, Hero raises, UTG+2 calls

Flop: (4.5 SB) 4
spade.gif
T
club.gif
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls

Turn: (3.25 BB) K
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls

River: (5.25 BB) 4
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero ??

So, I think the c-bet is standard, but what about the turn? Should I have fired away again at that point or give up? What about the river?? I find these situations pretty common and often wonder on my strategy. How does our villain's stats alter that strategy?

ats777

ats777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awful lot of info being requested....lol...kidding...appreciate the help greatly.

3 bet%

SB: 6.9
BB: 4.6
EA: 7.1
MD: 6.7
CO: 6.2
BT: 7.4

Here's a stat I honestly don't focus on as much as I think I should so advice here would be welcomed greatly. Again, my first thought is I think it shows I'm overlimping or even CC'ing way too much.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol :)

I'm expecting others to comment as well, I don't consider myself an expert.

3bet stats first -

Your 3betting isn't as positional as I'd expect - I'd expect to see a higher 3bet on the BTN in particular - position is such a huge advantage that we should be more interested in building the pot in position in favorable situations, much more than say in MP.

Your EP 3bet stat is freaking me out cuz it's high relative to other positions - I assume this is UTG+1 and it's all 3bets against UTG to isolate - otherwise we're limping in EP and 3betting over a raise from a later position or the blinds? I'm not keen on that play if that's the case, prefer open raising rather than open limping (I play 6max rather than FR fwiw).

Your VPIP in SB is awfully high - the reason I asked for 3bet stats was largely due to the VPIP in SB and on BTN (which is actually lower than I'd expect). But I'm not sure whether you're calling in limped pots, where the price is irresistable for two coordinated cards, or in raised pots, where we shouldn't be as eager to call (the price isn't as good). You are 3betting from SB, which is good to see - though we should be careful inflating the pot oop (again, I'd expect to see higher 3bet in LP than in SB).

As mentioned, I'd actually expect to see a higher VPIP on the BTN in particular. While I like 3betting on BTN alot due to positional advantage, I don't think a larger gap between VPIP and PFR on BTN is all that bad (and 3betting over multiple limpers isn't a great idea anyhow if the 3bet is for isolation - I don't have a feel for FR at all, don't know how common that is). I do think the gaps between VPIP and PFR are something to review in EP, MP, and CO though, those strike me as fairly large gaps (again, I'm not a FR player).

Keep in mind that you're actually more likely to be in a pot in the worst possible positions (the blinds) than the best possible position (BTN) according to your VPIP stats. I'd also expect to see a bigger gap between your CO VPIP and your BTN VPIP (i.e., wider range on the BTN).

I'm still hoping someone else comments on your 2barreling question. That hand is a perfect example - against a fish, I tend to barrel until I get raised, I have no reason to believe I don't have the best hand on the turn + a weak draw to the nuts - but oop it kinda sucks, and I do wonder if that's the right thought process.

Also interested in anyone else's thoughts on ats' stats, again, I'm not an expert.

ats777

ats777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol :)

I'm expecting others to comment as well, I don't consider myself an expert.

3bet stats first -

Your 3betting isn't as positional as I'd expect - I'd expect to see a higher 3bet on the BTN in particular - position is such a huge advantage that we should be more interested in building the pot in position in favorable situations, much more than say in MP.

Agree. As I was typing them out I realized that those don't quite like I'd want. Like I said too, those aren't stats that I've paid as much attention too as I should...so something I will begin doing.

Your EP 3bet stat is freaking me out cuz it's high relative to other positions - I assume this is UTG+1 and it's all 3bets against UTG to isolate - otherwise we're limping in EP and 3betting over a raise from a later position or the blinds? I'm not keen on that play if that's the case, prefer open raising rather than open limping (I play 6max rather than FR fwiw).

Well now that you said that...its freaking me out too! Limp-reraising isn't a big part of my game so that means I'm 3-betting UTG or UTG+1 that much. That gives me a very uneasy feeling. I did expand my sample out to 50K hands and see that this stat drops to 4.7%...so that makes me feel sort of kind of better. Except that means I really need to study what's been going on this month because either I'm finding myself in a ton of those situations, or I've changed how I'm playing that position.

Your VPIP in SB is awfully high - the reason I asked for 3bet stats was largely due to the VPIP in SB and on BTN (which is actually lower than I'd expect). But I'm not sure whether you're calling in limped pots, where the price is irresistable for two coordinated cards, or in raised pots, where we shouldn't be as eager to call (the price isn't as good). You are 3betting from SB, which is good to see - though we should be careful inflating the pot oop (again, I'd expect to see higher 3bet in LP than in SB).

As mentioned, I'd actually expect to see a higher VPIP on the BTN in particular. While I like 3betting on BTN alot due to positional advantage, I don't think a larger gap between VPIP and PFR on BTN is all that bad (and 3betting over multiple limpers isn't a great idea anyhow if the 3bet is for isolation - I don't have a feel for FR at all, don't know how common that is). I do think the gaps between VPIP and PFR are something to review in EP, MP, and CO though, those strike me as fairly large gaps (again, I'm not a FR player).

Keep in mind that you're actually more likely to be in a pot in the worst possible positions (the blinds) than the best possible position (BTN) according to your VPIP stats. I'd also expect to see a bigger gap between your CO VPIP and your BTN VPIP (i.e., wider range on the BTN).

I'm not a big fan of my blind play in particular. I'm winning more than I'm posting so at least thats a positive...but I've always struggled with my decisions from those positions. I think I over estimate the value of hands I find myself in those situations. For example, limping in SB with any 2 suited cards...how many callers do I need for this to be profitable? I say this as a retorical question because I can pick up Small Stakes Hold Em and get my answer. But more importantly, am I sticking to this? I don't think I am all the time. I'm also concerned about that SB 3 bet stat. It does drop down in my 50K sample but that leaves me with the question again of, What is going differently this month?

I have ordered (and am waiting on its arrival) "Winning in Tough Hold Em Games" - supposedly it has some good parts about blind play.

Your point of over half my play occurs in the blinds where I am OOP causes me concern as well. I can't imagine that's a good thing. :eek:

Definitely agree about that BT/CO gap also. I remember reading (I believe in a thread somewhere around here on CC) about how people under estimate the increased value of the BT vs. the CO. So I should probably also focus on BT play vs. CO play.

I'm still hoping someone else comments on your 2barreling question. That hand is a perfect example - against a fish, I tend to barrel until I get raised, I have no reason to believe I don't have the best hand on the turn + a weak draw to the nuts - but oop it kinda sucks, and I do wonder if that's the right thought process.

Yeah, hands like these just drive me nuts. I'm usually just barrelling away against a fish as well for the reasons you stated.

Also interested in anyone else's thoughts on ats' stats, again, I'm not an expert.

Appreciate all your input! I would also like to hear other's thoughts on that hand...or my stats. I mean, my results are right in line with what you want (over an 80K hands) but still have that nagging concern that its all one big hot streak. I spent about a decade as a gambling rec player and made the committment at the end of last year to learn and play the game to win - so I think this is where some of this doubt comes from, as well as sloppy play. I've been able progress from $.1/$.2 to $1/$2, but I'd also like to continue to move up, so obv. need to continue to improve. Not trying to bang my chest here...realize there are many far better than me...just trying to give everyone the proper perspective of where I'm at.

Last edited:
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a hand I marked from last night that goes right along the question of two-barrelling...

Villain is 39/3/.4 over small 63 hand sample.

Poker Stars $1.00/$2 Limit Hold'em - 10 players - View hand 709927
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Pre Flop: (1.5 SB) Hero is BB with Q
diamond.gif
A
spade.gif

2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 6 folds, Hero raises, UTG+2 calls

Flop: (4.5 SB) 4
spade.gif
T
club.gif
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls

Turn: (3.25 BB) K
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets, UTG+2 calls

River: (5.25 BB) 4
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero ??

So, I think the c-bet is standard, but what about the turn? Should I have fired away again at that point or give up? What about the river?? I find these situations pretty common and often wonder on my strategy. How does our villain's stats alter that strategy?
Barreling the turn here is fine. We have up to ten outs to a possible winner, and villain may be calling along with a draw that's worse than ours in terms of showdown value (we have QJ, J9, 97 all crushed on the turn). I'm not really sure if we're value-betting the turn, or bluffing it, but its likely profitable as a bluff, so I'm firing.

On the river, I'd like to say I'd have the will power to check/fold to this passive fish, but in practice I usually end up calling a bet and being unhappy about what I see.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks so much sly, for starting this thread. Limit NLHE is my cash cow when I play live; haven't played much online but now I'm inspired to give that a shot. I would also be interested in exploring the other limit games here, particularly Stud and Stud H/L.

The following article appeared in the current issue of CardPlayer Magazine; thought everyone might be interested:

Why I Love Limit Hold’em--It’s almost a perfect game
by Barry Tanenbaum

Sometime ago, I discussed why I choose to play cash games instead of tournaments. Shortly after that column appeared, some people asked me to explain why I elect to play limit hold’em with so much no-limit around.

In general, I think my audience would rather have me discuss strategy than personal preferences, but this is a milestone Card Player column for me, my 150th, so I’ll discuss some personal preferences and my views of the two most popular forms of cash games.

Here is why I play limit hold’em:
• The game plays quickly.
• You see more hands, so reading players is easier.
• The strategies are deeper than most players realize.
• "Bad beats," although more frequent, can’t destroy your whole session.
• Weaker players have a better chance to win.

The game plays quickly: I am a fairly patient guy, which is one of my strengths at the table, but I do like to play the next hand sometime soon. Most of the no-limit games I have played in the last few years have played grindingly slowly.

I do not know for sure why. Perhaps it’s the result of players watching their heroes agonize on TV, where they have reached the final table or are making decisions for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Perhaps they think a $40 decision in a $60 pot that may compromise their $150 stack later in the hand is worth five or six minutes of contemplation. Mostly, I suspect, they simply do not know what to do, and are waiting for divine inspiration to tell them whether to call or fold.

Limit plays quickly. Everyone knows how much to bet, so that part of the decision each round is removed. The pot is generally large relative to the bet size, so the decision to call or fold, while sometimes tricky, is never monumental. Counting the pot, for those players who bother, is pretty elementary.

With quality dealers moving the game along, you can see up to 40 hands per hour, compared to maybe 25 or fewer in many no-limit cash games. The fact that there is another hand coming along soon enhances your ability to stay involved in the game, not play hands out of boredom, or miss important table events due to inattention.

You see more hands, so reading players is easier: One of the most important tasks you can focus on while playing is getting a read on your opponents. This is especially challenging if you play in a cardroom where the players are constantly changing from week to week. The way to succeed, of course, is to look at every hand they expose, review how they played that hand, and eventually piece together clues to gain an understanding of their playing style. The better you can do this, the better your decisions will be.

In no-limit, you see many fewer exposed hands than you do in limit. Because no-limit bets are large relative to the pot, many fewer are called. While this is great for bluffing, it is not wonderful for learning how players play. Worse yet, even if you see a few hands in small pots, it still won’t tell you how a player will react when faced with a large bet in a large pot, which is generally rare. This makes reading players much more difficult, especially in critical situations.

In limit, roughly the same stuff happens over and over. Due to favorable pot odds, many hands are called, so you get to see how opponents play in similar circumstances to the ones that you will be facing with them during the session. You can gain this knowledge rapidly, by observation and deduction, and use it for extended periods of time.

The strategies are deeper than most people realize: Limit seems like a fairly easy game. Unlike no-limit — where you have to decide on bet sizes, control pot sizes, and consider stack sizes and complex implied odds — limit looks like a game where you just put your money in and hope for the best. Most no-limit players understand that they are involved in something complicated, although they may not know how complicated.

In spite of appearances, limit offers many opportunities for strategic play that most players do not even know exist. Once typical players develop a comfortable strategy, they rarely vary it, and often do not even bother to improve it over time. This provides a small but ongoing edge that better players can exploit for years.

"Bad beats," although more frequent, can’t destroy your whole session: I put "bad beats" in quotes because there really is no such thing; it is just math at work. However, math does have a habit of allowing opponents to hit their one- and two-outers at the most inconvenient times. In no-limit, this can ruin your whole session, as you spend hours building up your stack, only to see the whole thing disappear in a moment when you had way the best of it. I know that you are supposed to shrug it off and move along, but many players don’t do that very well.

In limit, the beats are far more frequent. Players do not have to pay as high a price to continue with their hands, and many enjoy the thrill of the chase. You have limited ways to "protect your hand," since you can’t adjust your bet size to determine your opponents’ pot odds. But when things go wrong, you lose some bets, not all of your chips. This helps some players stay on a more even keel.

Weaker players have a better chance to win: To me, this is most important. No-limit is a game that severely punishes weaker players. They don’t just lose, they tend to lose big. They find themselves, time after time, getting their money in with the worst hand. Sooner or later, they get tired of it, and either improve or quit. Either way, the games get tougher and tougher.

Weak players lose at limit, too; there is no doubt about that. But, they lose slower, as their errors cost them fractions of bets rather than entire stacks. They have far more winning sessions. As a result, they tend to continue to play, attributing their losses to bad luck and their wins to skill. There is no improve-or-quit syndrome in limit. Folks just keep showing up and playing their same game year after year.

Conclusion: I really believe that limit hold’em is almost a perfect game. It offers a wonderful combination of skill and luck that guarantees that skillful players will win over time, while enabling the less skillful ones to have a reasonable share of victories, as well. No-limit — while thrilling, exciting, and definitely requiring skill — does not offer the same opportunities to weaker players. With your long-term results depending mostly on the skill difference between you and your opponents, and with weaker players enjoying and continuing to play limit, you may choose to play more of it.

Barry Tanenbaum is the author of Advanced Limit Hold’em Strategy, and collaborator on Limit Hold’em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it's not May anymore, but I'm reluctant to start a June LHE thread - if anyone else wants to, please do so.

I've got a mildly significant number of hands in on LHE now, and can see some of the leaks/opportunities in my game through the standard stats - VPIP/PFR/3bet/WTSD/W$SD/Steal etc.

I'm trying to think about situations to look at to see where I may be leaking or missing value, and thinking about filters to run in HEM. Any ideas?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deffo don't start a June LHE thread. If anything, make a thread titled "June Mixed games discussion - LO8", and have that be a catch-all thread for people playing limit games, while focusing on LO8. If someone has a LHE question, they can post it there. Change the game monthly, because all these games don't have enough of a following to support a thread.

I think its pretty obvious that LHE can't support a monthly discussion thread on this forum. I'm not even sure that all the limit games combined can either.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, didn't realise this thread was here, but, i played my first session of 1/2 LHE, went well suprisingly. Ive been watching a few of pauls videos, and i found it really interesting. Ive only really played LHE in mixed games for the most part, But after tonight, im really quite excited to play again. Playing so many hands and seeing lots of flops is really fun, and im going to enjoy learning and playing more of it in the near future.

If anyone has the time to check out my hands i played, i would be very appreciative. it's about 100 hands long, first time playing specifically LHE, probably just ran really well, ended up ~+75.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deffo don't start a June LHE thread. If anything, make a thread titled "June Mixed games discussion - LO8", and have that be a catch-all thread for people playing limit games, while focusing on LO8. If someone has a LHE question, they can post it there. Change the game monthly, because all these games don't have enough of a following to support a thread.

I think its pretty obvious that LHE can't support a monthly discussion thread on this forum. I'm not even sure that all the limit games combined can either.
SOrry, i dont really pay much attention to the learning forum or cash, so i dont really keep up with whats happening, but im willing to be involved in a LHE or Mixed thread for sure from now onwards. Ill have tons of hands for you guys to look at, and go, 'wtf, what are you doing?'

Top 10 Games