Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Please tell me where it is better to study. In ordinary cash games or right away in tournaments.

Start by playing Freeroll's, they can be tough but they cost you nothing if you lose, and build your bankroll slowly. Cash games are a totally different monster and will eat your bankroll fast if you are not a winning player, I know it can seem boring to play for hours, with little return at the end, but if you cannot win a Free-roll, what makes you believe you can be a winner at the cash tables?
Study up on Bankroll Management and stick to it religiously, it is the best lesson to learn, to be a profitable player in the long term.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
A pair of aces, kings is just a pair. There are many stronger combinations.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold preflop most of the time. Half the hands are worse than average. If most people fold them, there is a second average of the top half, only the top quarter are usually worth playing.

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strict bankroll management, playing tight, thats actually the winning strategy for micros, I can't even manage to play tight all the time so thats why I lose a lot sometimes.

They say that limp is bad. A tight game involves limping a lot. Or I'm wrong?

J

jj6m

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't be carrolled into large bets

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Generally, your stack is more important than the chips in the current pot. Sometimes you just have to be willing to let the pot go. Better lose one pot than your tourney life.

N

Natehammer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay low

I see to many people with less then 50 bucks play 5 an 10 dollar tournaments an drop there bank roll
I play low starting with 25 bucks I play nothing over 2 dollar buy in an when I get my bank roll at 200 from small games I take my bigger shots
What's your strategy

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Play freerolls and take your time to play for money. learn from the mistakes of others and not yours. Raise your skill and then how the card falls and do not forget about luck:D:D:D:D

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn how to make $$ with your Big hands without chasing too many out too early.

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn to monitor your flop percentages(how many times you call the BB). The lower the number over the session the better. Hot streaks are rare and don't last. It only takes one hand to lose your entire stack you work for all night.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
study hard, be patient, get involved in a hand that's worth it, eat healthy and keep up with other players

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What would you do with pocket aces ?

Is it a good idea to slow play pocket aces try it today backfired ! Just made a small raise player call me with 4-8 and caught 2-8 on flop went all in and beat me! So what’s the best thing to do slow play or big raise by the way was just the start of tournament ! TIPS?😭

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff

Don't let the bluff get ya, if your hand is strong believe in it and go down fighting

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing, I played cash games. Do not play cash games while you are learning, you will lose a lot of money. Read poker books! Even if at first they seem too complicated and even delusional to you, you will very soon realize that this is not so.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Here are some for you guys:
1 Play in position
2 Play only strong starting hands
3 Fold weakish hands early on the flop
4 Don't chase draws
5 Don't call big bets on the turn and the river unless very strong
6 Don't call all-ins

Good luck!

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't stress if you don't see fast results.
or if you have a bad streak one day, the most important thing is patience

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Show patience, restraint, work on the game, luck is just a helper, not a panacea.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Be patience....Be patience.....BE PATIENCE!

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The advice for beginners is simple - never give up.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An advice thread for beginners thread is nice and well intended.

IMHO, no advice is worth a lot on its own when it comes to poker, at least not a sentence or two in a generic thread. This is not to dis the OP or the thread, just to throw some cold sobering water on people who think a sentence here and there will make you a better player.

Many players might look in here for "the answer" and the truth is there is no real answer. Poker is a very simple game. Playing consistent winning poker is not simple at all. This is not a contradiction. The game itself can be learned in a relatively short time.

What cannot be learned in the same short time? Knowing how to proceed street for street with any hand.

My advice is this: Know what you want from poker. That is the best beginners advice that comes to me anyway. If you want to have fun, well that is a lot different than if you want to make poker a small side income, which is much different than if you want to crush in a wsop which is much different if you want to be ab online HU winner which is much different than if you want to be a SnG winner and on and on.

Know what you want from poker. If you cant say "This is my goal" then I hope you are playing for fun and can afford to lose.

There will be exceptions but this is how I see it.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
play AJ+ 77+ in early position

play more hands on the btn and co

defend your big blind more often than you usually do much more when you are short already