KK all in?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call that hand 10 out of 10 times against an agressive player, He probably has a hand like 10-10, J-J, QQ, KK(not so likely since You have it too)AA,AK A-Q maybe even A-J. Which meanes that youre ahead in something like 85 % of the time and probably more. Easy call.
Exactly, 9 times out of 10 your against a strong ace or a lower PP facing an aggressive player, therefore you should never fold KK at any time unless you have a solid read on villian.

justinx

justinx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this article is about KK :)
but it depends on your condition where you play?

Should you ever fold KK preflop?

Recently, there seems to be a rash of discussion questioning whether it is ever correct to fold KK preflop. The answer is OF COURSE IT IS, just not very often. When people ask about folding KK preflop, the argument is often centered around “knowing” that your opponent has AA. I would say that folding KK preflop for fear of your opponent having AA is just not something that is wise to do. There is far too likely a chance that he is holding AK, QQ, JJ or some other hand that people like to push hard preflop. Another reason people use to justify folding KK preflop might be based on the number of people in the pot.

For example, if the UTG player moves all-in for 9BB. The player in seat 4 moves all-in over the top and the cutoff also calls/moves all-in. People now fear playing their KK not only because of the increased chance of AA, but also the concern about playing KK 4-handed. This is where you need to take some pot odds into account. Assume you have KK, the UTG player has AK, the 4th position player has JJ/QQ and the Button is calling with 8-9 suited because he has a huge stack and is getting nearly 3-to1. Your KK is only 43% favorite. But you're getting far beyond the odds, over 3-to-1, needed to take that shot. Give two players an ace (taking away one of the outs to beat you) and your chances improve to better than 50%! So even 4-handed in that situation you probably should call.

The largest chance of finding a correct spot to laydown KK preflop is in a satellite tourney or in a tourney with a very flat payout structure. In these tourneys, there is much more emphasis put on simply surviving over chip accumulation. In a normal tourney, most of the prize pool is divided among the top 3-5 spots. So if 20 people get paid, you still have 15 people to go before you really make any money. This makes it necessary to take far greater risks, because your goal is to win the tournament. With a satellite, all 20 players get the same prize, so your goal is simply to make it to the top 20, not win the tourney. For example, you are playing for a WSOP ME seat in one of the PokerStars $650 qualifiers. There are 9 people left and 6 people get seats. The blinds are 5,000/10,000 and you have $324,000 chips. An early position player moves all-in and a middle position player calls (assume they both have approx. the same chipstack). In this instance, I probably fold KK preflop. It is far more important to have a player eliminated than it is for you to pick up more chips. With $324k, it is likely that you can simply fold your way to a WSOP seat, so why risk being crippled?

Hopefully this has helped illustrate when it might be the right time to fold KK preflop and when you might be forced to call. Once thing this article cannot account for however, is intuition. Sometimes, especially when you have logged a lot of time player a specific player, you just feel like something is off. You don’t know what it is about the hand, but something just “feels” like you are beat. In this case, especially if you have only put in a few chips so far, its ok to fold. But if you do, don’t come to a poker forum and ask “is this fold ok?” because the answer is going to be “no.” The only one who can know whether the fold was correct or not…is you. For you stat guys, I will finish up this article with my estimation of how often you should fold KK preflop: 1%-2%.

H

hoffdaddy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in this situation...call, call, call. Got unlucky but odds are you will dodge it more often than not. Never folding KK here.

sld2

sld2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is the right play you just got unlucky, KK vs. AQo is about 72% 28% preflop

DarkAceMafia

DarkAceMafia

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay chip stacks were $17k (him) me (7k) play money game. He seemed very aggressive during the time I played with him. He goes all in from early position and I call with KK from small blind. He shows AQo and draws a queen on the turn and an ace on the river. I was just wondering if it was correct of me to call since it's a cash game and not a tourney?

sorry meant to post this in Learning Poker.

Is this cash or play money? You started out saying it's play money and then you ended it with " it's a cash " game. Assuming that this was play money, you just ran into an i dont care aggressor, " since i have more chips than you and I have an ace I will just go all-in " this mentality would be very common since well its play money and he has no true investment in these chips. In this case you're call with pocket KK is correct. Poker Gods just didnt let you have it.

BuggyX

BuggyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have done the same with KK..hard to wait on AA, you did right..well always a risk that KK got beat by AQ or other 2 pairs, sh.. happens

M

masiado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made the right move by calling with KK. Cards like KK seldom comes and it is consider as a monster cards. So don"t be upset if youre KK was beaten by AQ, it's just part of the game. Good luck to your next game and I"m sure thar your KK will not be beaten the next time.

I

ita17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you made the right play no matter how aggresive your opponet is..in heads up kk is a almost 100 percent dominating hand which you should get as much chips as you can on the table before the flop..the turn and the river are over your control

D

darkremixx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay chip stacks were $17k (him) me (7k) play money game. He seemed very aggressive during the time I played with him. He goes all in from early position and I call with KK from small blind. He shows AQo and draws a queen on the turn and an ace on the river. I was just wondering if it was correct of me to call since it's a cash game and not a tourney?

sorry meant to post this in Learning Poker.

A hand liek AQ AK is hard for any player to let go, ussually in a cash game its a really good hand, but then again so is KK. I think u made the right descision to call, but with a lower chip stack, maybe should have played it cautiously.

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, it was the right decision. KK is the 2nd best starting hand, and against an aggressive player the odds are even better of you having him beat badly. You just happened to catch an unlucky break. Continue doing what you did, in the long run you will win much more of the times than you lose.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games are pretty similar to tournaments in this scenario. If you go all in with the best hand, you made the right play, whether its a cash game or a tourney.

M

Metrogn0me

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, I'm putting my money in PF here 7 days a week for breakfast! If he has AA then it's a cooler, but we're so far ahead of his range that we gotta shove. The only different situation however is if you're up against a nitty rock and he 4bets you. I'd take my table image into consideration, and whether our villian is capable of repopping us with TT - QQ or maybe even AK.

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even against a nit, it is correct to get kk in pf

R

robertvgomez2

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would have to be a fool to fold KK preflop. unless like said above that you know that your appnet has aces. And that only happens about 5% of the time, roughly.

playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i say you didnt made a mistake, you are correct on that situation. if i were there in that situation i will also called him even he pushes me to allin.
bcoz you wont expect better hand than this for allin push when you are in low stack!

B

Bren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would've made a bet of about 2/3 pot on the turn and then might have folded to the ace on the river.
But tough to say. Maybe I would've gone all-in.
Sticky situation :)
I think you played it right overall.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made the right call just a bad turn and river

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you made the right decision.

and there may be some kind of problem of money management.but need more information to discuss

Insanity

Insanity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was just a bad beat. In my opinion, you made the right call and just took a bad beat.

H

Hyiero

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KK is an all-in everytime in my opinion in heads up so definitely played the right move there

Bigsmak

Bigsmak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have left the two biggest live tournements of my life Holding KK Vs AA and me getting my chips in pre-flop...

But I still keep pushing with KK...

You have to

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as every one said u got to play out the hand its pocket kings very tough to lay them down even if u think he has aces in the hole but it was play money and ur learning ive been playin about a year and would of done the same thing oh wait been there done that and will do it again and as far as the 50 dollar deposit plenty of freerolls out there to start a bankroll or at least get u into a more or less cash enviroment never learned anythimg from play money [only my opinion]

B

bruisertx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You will always have bad beats. I have decided that as long as I had the best hand pre-flop, I don't get too mad when I get the bad beat. I just helps me keep a little of my sanity.

P

pilarcas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm not so sure i agree with orangepeeleo either. i understand that play money isn't very worthwhile, but at the really high levels they play isn't nearly as bad, and there is always the 500k freeroll... i just think that you need to be able to win at play money before you even think about depositing.

as for the kings situation. i would call with kings every single time heads up, and still about 95% of the time in any other situation. so yeah, good call.

yes, you need to be good playing with play money before spend any money. otherwise will be expensives lessons i think. :p

Z

zanmann

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the call, however the last three times I ran into this situation, I busted out. Once against pocket Aces, once against pocket Qs and once against 9,10o (he rivered a straight). It was a tough week :confused: