***July Micro Grinder Thread 2NL-25NL***

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with Delta, we all know you can do it

Oh and since you didn't play shortstacked for 90 days I think you're still eligible for a refund on your soul :p

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and since you didn't play shortstacked for 90 days I think you're still eligible for a refund on your soul :p

Uh oh.. I am pretty sure I already saw it on ebay earlier.

As to the game and Jurn's frustration... I have two thoughts, though somewhat already discussed. Your plight is familiar to all of us I am sure.

1. Playing for your income, especially with 20 buyins is almost a guarantee to be playing scared money. I know it would be for me.

2. I sense strife. Numbers of hands, numbers of tables, expectations of profits. Taking a fairly formulaic approach to the game and expecting results... Again this is somewhat personal, but I have noticed I tend to win the most when my game is the most effortless. I let wins and losses just roll, and just play each hand carefully and intentionally, but as fluidly as water, easily folding, easily losing, easily winning. Finding that place is not easy. And I know this is abstract... but that is the way I think.

Play a little O8 or some razz... just one table... start up a CC 02nl game.

Relax and enjoy the game and see if you can regain your balance.

rooting for you.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sigh, 313 hands +1BI fml! Poker is so much easier when you dont play 400 tables but yet again I fail to see this and play 400 tables shortstacking, 600 tables fullring. WHEN WILL I LEARN TO PLAY 6-10 TABLES WHICH IS MY OPTIMUM!!!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the players here play like 9 tables, mass tabling is so old school now, people have realised playing good poker is better

jewboy07

jewboy07

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the players here play like 9 tables, mass tabling is so old school now, people have realised playing good poker is better

plus 1 ftw i iwhs i wasnt drunk cuz i wannnda play but my ferind wont let mee

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fo real do.

I probably would've just logged you on and set you up a sng or something for the laughs :D

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My July is continuing on like it has.....lol

Pokers.jpg

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey grinders - I thought I'd share what I'm working on strategy-wise.

Here's my context fwiw - after beating 50NL for 4.4BB/100 over 40K hands, I've actually been playing 100NL for my last 80k hands. I'm putting in a huge amount of volume (80k hands since July 8), but I'm barely over breakeven over that period - I'm going to make as much from fpp's as I will from 100NL gameplay this month (and I'll make more from my 50NL run at the beginning of the month), unless I go on a massive heater over the next week (and I'm scheduled to play 2 live donkaments this week, one out of town, which will keep me from playing as much online).

Since I'm playing 100NL, I'm kinda outside the parameters of this thread - hope I don't get kicked out of the club - but I'm not confident enough in my game to say I'm done with 50NL yet. And I think I'm seeing stuff that will be helpful at micro.

So, below are some thoughts on strategy and what I'm working on. I hope one or two thoughts may help someone or prompt a question/comment; otherwise, I won't be offended by tldr comments. :D

The best strategy concept I came across this month is the way Miller et. al. describe "steal equity" in SSNLHE. There are two ways to win - have the best hand at showdown or have everyone else fold before showdown. Obvious, simple. But re-thinking all of your strategy as revolving around the combination of your sd equity and your "ability to steal" equity is a huge change for me from thinking about sd equity and FE - somehow for me, steal equity is more an active concept and FE is more a passive concept - and active for me = aggressive = good. For example, thinking of 3betting as a sd equity AND a steal equity opportunity gave me a better foundation for understanding c9's golden archive thread on 3betting.

Here are the parts of my game I'm consciously working on:

1. 3betting and 4betting. My 3bet is around 4.3%. I'm trying to open this up alot against villains with high pfr and high fold to 3bet% - I'd like to see my 3bet % around 6, it's a huge opportunity imo. Obviously the higher my 3bet %, the more I'll get 4bet, so that's another thing I'm working on.
2. ATS. My ATS is around 30%. Trying to open this up as well, I'd like to see this closer to 35%.
3. Loosen up. I'm extremely tight for 6max, 15/13 atm. I'm just chicken and fold too much to 3bets, trying to work on my confidence (being chicken applies to 1 and 2 as well).
4. Postflop betting. I'm trying to improve my reading of board textures against villain ranges. I probably need to start paying attention to stu's pokerazor thread. :D I also need to value bet the river more often and harder than I do.
5. Thinking about SPR and applying it to deepstack situations. 100BB is pretty straightforward for me right now, but I've been having problems increasing my stack once I hit 180 BB's or so. c9 jotted some thoughts in the chat thread that I found very helpful.

Here are leaks I know I have:

1. I float flops oop too often.
2. I flat small pp's in the blinds too often.
3. I call flops and turns without a plan too often, or simply to see what villain will do on the next street. Way too passive, I'm trying to float without the aggression. :(

Final thought - I'm considering trying FR for two reasons - one is simply as a change of pace, but I'm also thinking that the natural aggression in 6max may provide me an edge in FR if I can tone it down a notch. My concern is that I find FR a little boring now and I'm worried my attention span will be short - I'm 6tabling 6max, which seems an optimal balance for my attention span (though I've been considering cutting that to 4 tables to see if my winrate improves), may try 6tabling FR initially and try to move to 8tabling.

gl to all us grinders!

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post sly. I, too, am really starting to focus on the "why's" of every move rather than just pushing chips around.

You obviously know what your leaks are, which imo is the big first step. Good luck to ya, I think since i suffer from the same leaks you do this post is helpful

also, fwiw usually 6 table 6max as well, and I played 4 today and my winrate shot up. doesn't hurt to try and see i suppose

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 more bi at 10nl and I'll be moving up to 25nl!

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice post slyc sounds like you are improving all the time and have solid plans for the future and know you own game pretty well.
GL with it and the 3betting stuff will work alot in FR I think.

Deltafrost

Deltafrost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice post slyc. It cant hurt to try FR, just try it for like 40k hands or something and post back results.

Seems like you're really progressing and taking your game to higher levels. gg

Richyl2008

Richyl2008

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice post slyc. It cant hurt to try FR, just try it for like 40k hands or something and post back results.

We will see you back at 6max when you get tired of people showing you the nuts every time :p

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We will see you back at 6max when you get tired of people showing you the nuts every time :p

Kinda the main reason I play 6max is I have far more chance there being as undisciplined-ly loose as I am. ;)

I am the king of "ah, 16th nuts... what the heck".

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok this is my graph since 10 tabling started which was yesterday.
This has opened my eyes more than anything tbh about this game, I was in abit of a rut and had zero confidence then yesterday when I started 10 tabling, WTF I had a 7BI day and I couldnt believe it lol. I ran like shit today but its still a valuable lesson learnt and thanks to WV, switch and others who said to cut down tables.

Hope everybody can learn from this aswell as myself. Now to get back to even for the month in 5 days!

Attachments

• 10 tabling.jpg
    10 tabling.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice Jake.

Small sample so don't get too confident but there is no doubt that actually thinking can only help one's game. Keep it up.

Now if only I could motivate myself to actually play. Not a single hand since late Friday night. Maybe later.