Is it too late to start playing? Is age relevant?

G

Galette71

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no never too late ... as long as we are good to see the table and the numbers we're good.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is a sport that has no age limit to start, which you have to have to be a professional and time to study and play.
Now if you want to play for fun it is more relaxed, it just takes time.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Being 5" 6", slow, unathletic & 31 is a problem if you dream of makin the world forget Lebron. 31 in poker, play & study as much as possible & see what happens. You will get better or bored. Like most things it's really about the journey. Good luck.

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There's no limit of age to start playing poker. We just have to consider our mind. If our body isn't too healthy, we can play online. If okay, we can play both, online or live.

meagain00

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think, its ever to late to learn poker, but if you are above a certain age, you will likely not be able to reach the very top. And for online poker the ability to play many tables and long sessions will decline with age. Its like that with everything in life really. You can still play golf, when you are 80, if you are healthy, but the very best golf players did not begin at age 55.

P

PotPlucker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never to late to start playing this wonderful game. I hear stories of players going from fish to playing with a positive win rate in 6 months. Just got to do the work. Expedite with some coaching. Enjoy the ride.

G

glebchekotin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its never too late to start playing poker, if u want to become the best one - its really hard because there ara already many pros with 15+ years of practice

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is indeed never too late to start playing poker, I have been playing poker a lot for a year now and I notice that things are getting better and better. I like to play tournaments and often get into the money. In addition to insight, happiness is also a big factor.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Age is just a number, what you feel and do is all you need in life. It is never too late nor early to start playing so have fun with poker and in life. Capo1014

L

lesson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
age is irrelevant in this matter. It's definitely worth a try. And then it is already clear how interested you are. You can get carried away with anything at any age and become successful. And the older, maybe even better, the person is calmer and more prudent ... not all of course

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you dont have any heart problems and you can stay calm, than it is never to late for poker :) I will play poker all my life!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Doyle Brunson has been playing Poker for over 50 years and at the ripe old age of 87 he still plays, I discovered Texas Holdem back in the late 1990s and still play today (for fun) and by his standards I am a young gun at 66 (haha!)
My only regret is that I didn't discover the game sooner, I will never make a living from Poker and really don't want to as it means playing multiple tables using HUD software and I really cannot be bothered with all that. I play for fun and the love of the game, one table at a time, I have a serious Heart condition but a little Adrenalin Buzz now and again does not do me any harm. The 2 or 3 beers at the end of a session probably will.
But I have always said if I die playing Poker, I will die a happy man (unless I am holding the nuts!)

When the fun Stops, STOP!

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Still young.

Age has never been relevant in poker, if you can still hold a couple of cards in your hands and figure out what to do with them ... then you're still young to play poker.:)

M

Maksimhach

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok , it is a good games , I believe you

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play for fun, then age is not a hindrance. I think only playing at 12+ tables will be difficult, not the right reaction.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, it's too late for you.

You must start by the age of five by learning all starting hands by position along with out's percentages for every possible combination. As the child learns the basics of addition and subtraction, pre-flop raising and bet sizing for all blind levels should be memorized with the winning percentages for every pocket pair and non-suited hole cards. Once a proficiency in these areas is demonstrated, he will then be taught positional strategy, continuation betting, bluffing, semi-bluffing, heads-up strategy, bankroll management and table image.

Sorry that someone was not there during the critical moments of your youth to teach you these valuable skills to become a winning poker player.

This made me laugh hard. Thanks!
In case anyone missed it, it is OBVIOUSLY a joke, sarcasm. It is never too late to learn anything new, including poker. Some older ages (and 31 is hardly it) may find a bit more difficult, but never absolutelly impossible,

I started at my teens playing 5 card draw in the 90's with friends, then moved to NLHE when it started growing bigger and bigger. It was even more fun then the previous one. And I played for a good while (years). Started by gathering more and more people, eventually I started managing smaller local tournaments, and for a while a frind of mine and I actually opened a Hold Em club (legally) where I was GMing and/or dealing cards. And that all after my 30s.
I stopped playing for a while and I'm back after the CoVid-19 quarantine playing online. Muss less "seriously", just for the fun of it. Chosing almost randomly a playing style almost every game I enter. It's been a great time. And still is.

manuela2910

manuela2910

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone. I started playing last year and since i believe i have grown much. I am no longer a fish , I've become a smaller fish :D.
Honestly a like playing so much that i would put in the hours to make an additional income from poker. The problem is that all the information is scattered and it's difficult to put everything into a proper order. The problems is: is it too late to try to become a serious player? How long does it usually take to become a profitable player?
Thanks in advance for your replies and advises.

age is irrelevant in this matter.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello everyone. I started playing last year and since i believe i have grown much. I am no longer a fish , I've become a smaller fish :D.
Honestly a like playing so much that i would put in the hours to make an additional income from poker. The problem is that all the information is scattered and it's difficult to put everything into a proper order. The problems is: is it too late to try to become a serious player? How long does it usually take to become a profitable player?

Its never to late to learn and age in poker is a noon factor under most circumstances. The only time age may become a issue is if you are playing in big field live major tournaments. I have read and heard the comments older players make about the 14+ hour days getting to them more and not as easy as you get older. Just think of playing 6-7 days in a row like that. Just dont let it stop you. You can do it if you put your mind to it.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

dedication, that is what is important, on the way you will adapt according to the problems and situations that appear, as you go, you will realize what has to be done to improve, you will learn from someone else's experience, and with your own.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Con dedicación y esfuerzo puedes lograr todo en la vida, solo tienes que tener metas realistas. La edad no es un problema.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not too late, at the final table, people over ninety with a bracelet come out victorious, so start at any age!

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello.it seems to me that it is never too late to start something new.but there is a nuance, in old age a person becomes less teachable,it will take more time to learn.someone for natural reasons may simply not have enough time,someone due to physiology will already be able to do it.therefore, it is better to learn poker from a young age.

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you're at a good age for starting to learn. You have to take it serious, play every day and make a study plan. There's no perfect play anyway, so you only can get better.