Is it too late to start playing? Is age relevant?

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think age in poker is not relevant. It all depends on the person. Poker is a mind game, so every person in conscious age has the opportunity to learn how to play poker.

P

PeedroZack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with 15, and won some money beating the fields

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that there is no correct age for starting poker.
As proof of this I have seen people of various ages being winners, so it does not matter.
But as for being profitable it is necessary to study and build experience, just like any other work.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Don't worry about your age. You still can learn it. 30 is also not so old in my opinion, maybe because I am so old already. :eek:
But I actually also believe that you also have an advantage about being some older, because the tilt factor doesn't kick so much in like with younger players. You will be probably more relaxed and calm about your games.
I wish you good luck with your new experiences in poker! :)

A

akjordan16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No

It depends on the person whos behind the wheel I say.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it too late to start playing? Is age relevant?

hmmmm. not sure. But I know this, if the answer to your 1st question is Yes, then so is the answer to your 2nd.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Likewise, if the answer to your 1st question is 2am. Then the answer to your 2nd is also Yes.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. I started playing last year and since i believe i have grown much. I am no longer a fish , I've become a smaller fish :D.
Honestly a like playing so much that i would put in the hours to make an additional income from poker. The problem is that all the information is scattered and it's difficult to put everything into a proper order. The problems is: is it too late to try to become a serious player? How long does it usually take to become a profitable player?
Thanks in advance for your replies and advises.

It's a bit harder and will require a bit more studying and analysis to be as profitable as you would be 8 years ago, but I don't see online poker dying for 25 years, and by then, I think VR Poker rooms will be pretty insane.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Age is not relevant to the proof is the PCA main event in 2019 had an older player and played with mastery

so for everything in life is we who give to things the limits of our life whether good or bad

:jd4:mateuspoker

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is not to become a profitable player. This can be achieved if you apply enough power and spend enough time.
The problem is to remain profitable for a long time.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order to bring yourself closer to real poker wins, you need to work. How soon you start winning will be influenced by many factors:

how much time you play;
how much time you spend studying poker articles;
quality of training material;
your mental abilities;
how fast you can learn;
those limits you are currently playing.
That is why it is impossible to unambiguously answer the question, how soon will you start winning. All people are different, with different abilities and a different approach to learning.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The secret is simple, do not gamble !!! If you are new to poker. It's simple. We started with chips, now there are freerolls. In general, my advice is based on the theory of 10,000 hours, which is enough to start risking your money. This time also includes learning theories and strategies!

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For poker age is not a factor as long as you have all your factories. Poker is a skill game that doesn't require physical attributes except to fight off fatigue after long games.

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's not too late, good money can be won in 7 hours:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never to late to start, but it's experience you need. So if you start later you've got to catch up and play a lot or you'll be to old by the time you get good.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's never too late ... it's easier today to catch up sooner than it used to be. I think because of the many curricula available. But it takes time anyway.

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just be careful with videos because a lot of times they will show only "interesting" hands and that can distort reality. You need to watch videos that show all of the hands played during a specific time frame.

I have had the opportunity to play with Chris Moneymaker and Greg Raymer at a card room in Daytona. Both said that the TV coverage of their final tables was highly edited.

I think it was Raymer who said cut-aways to his wife's reactions was sometimes laughable because they showed her reacting to hands when she was not even in the room. Both players said closeups of the players were sometimes confusing because they might be reacting to the other players reaction which was not seen on the TV.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the age is unrelated.

I think it depends on the person.

J

jonnycliks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never too old, when you got it you got it

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
A chip and a chair has no age requirement (except 18+) :D:D:D

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Young people have an advantage over older players in this game, for a couple of reasons.
1. They have boundless energy, while we old folk tend to get cranky when we stay up past our normal bedtime. Young kids can play all day and night, and the good ones generally do. It's all they know. Older people have fuller lives with other responsibilities such as family or mortgage. :)
2. Younger players have a huge advantage when it comes to accepting and taking on risk. Older players tend to be more conservative with their money, since it took them a long time to earn it, and they want to keep it, not blow it all. Younger players don't have huge nest eggs, they're looking to build one instead. This allows them to risk everything they have, if need be... they're much more willing to take chances to make that big life-changing score.

This is why almost every poker tournament you watch ends up with 8 younger kids at the final table and very few older people.

It really just depends what your goals are. If your goal is to enjoy the greatest thinking game there is, then you'll do just fine. But if your goal is to make money and "live the dream", well... I'd say good luck, but don't get your hopes too high. :)

I'm an older person and I play for the love of the game, I've never played it for the love of money. I wouldn't turn down a big score of course if it ever happens, but I don't sit around daydreaming about it. :)

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Iv saw players like Doyle Bruson play at over 80 and do good! Your only as old as you feel!

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's never too late, for anything, including poker. If you love playing poker, and it fulfills you, go ahead. The most important thing is to do what you love. And when you do what you love, there is always a reward for it. Just keep enjoying poker, and enjoy what's coming.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that age is not relevant. you will need to have a lot of time to learn all the basic about the game. your inteligence will tell how fast you can do it and your expirience on the table will increse the learning process.

the real deal is to know what the minimum age to start to learn about poker. Since is a gambling game and can be addictive as I already think i am in.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its never too late to play poker. Hard work, studying and practice will make you a better a player each game.