If you had to start learning poker from the very beginning, what would you focus on?

Rickyrihari

Rickyrihari

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NZ
Chips
I think today there is so much information available online but a difficult thing could be knowing 'Where do I start?'

I've been playing recreationally for fun, for ~15years & have also enjoyed studying the game along the way (actually quite a bit when I first got started) and yet even now I still have some difficulty knowing
"what do I study now? And where does it go from there?"

I think doing the Cardschat 30-day course would be a great place to start from. I haven't done it myself but I am certain it is set up very well and it'd give you a great foundation (< which is key!)

Often I see players who look as if they are trying to implement stuff they've seen on Twitch, or Youtube but they are not incorporating it effectively, or appropriately and there is some glaring leaks in their approach. Leading them to FPS (fancy play syndrome).

You can also find some good courses online.
For cash games there's a book by Blackrain that is good for playing micros.

Another excellent course is 'Cash Game Hero' by Scrimitzu

It might seem like a lot to spend $100, or $200 but honestly these will pay for itself in no time at all.
I agree entirely, from my direct experience.

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
MTT,classes,studyng and MTT
Go for the gold
God bless

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
You can also find some good courses online.
For cash games there's a book by Blackrain that is good for playing micros.

Another excellent course is 'Cash Game Hero' by Scrimitzu

It might seem like a lot to spend $100, or $200 but honestly these will pay for itself in no time at all.

Scrimtzu does look promising. I was watching an old video from 4 years back on his youtube channel recently where he was coaching and recording it, and I took something from it.

I've bought something of Blackrain's, his crushing the microstakes book and an NL2 mastery video series. Cost me $40. I do remember finding it a little basic, but for a completely new player why not? There could be some value in it. Some people do say he doesn't even play anymore and his stuff is outdated, that he was winning when games were softer etc.

Peter Clarke's From The Ground Up was decent for me, a bit more advanced and didn't cost a fortune. It's a decent video series to give someone a solid base to start from if you can understand his accent!

For something free, I like Upswing Poker's articles. I've found that to be a good resource, and it's currently my go to when I've played a hand and been unsure about pre-flop 3 bet/4 bet situations. I'll go to their site afterwards. They have a lot of articles titled along the lines of "how to play AQ off in cash games", "how to play QJ suited in cash games" etc. They cover a lot of hands in that way. https://upswingpoker.com/blog/?_sft_post_tag=4-cash-games

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understand the basics, be observant and attentive and play a lot.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The most important thing that every beginner should understand and realize is to learn not to play all hands in a row. In my opinion, this is the most important thing that is quite difficult to get used to :)

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Considering that you already know the basic rules, I would focus first on the pre-flop Call/Bet charts according to your position at the table. While that alone is not enough, I believe it is very important as it opens the mind of the person who is learning and teaches them that they can play differently depending on their position.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that the most important thing what I focus for it is only playing poker

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you think is the most important thing when starting out?
I would definitely focus on the freerolls, and not waste the bankroll. Unfortunately, when I started, I immediately started spending money, and due to lack of skills and experience, I lost more than one bankroll. Now I already understand this mistake of mine and I am more than sure that the freerolls will be more than enough for a good start.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet sizing and frequency

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you think is the most important thing when starting out?
The most important thing for a beginner is to understand such a concept as bankroll management. Without understanding how you can and should spend your own funds, any player is doomed to financial losses. Financial discipline should be your reliable and secure foundation.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that open ranges, positions and open sizes are the ABC.
I recommend you the free Cardschat course.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always be careful not to lose your passion for playing. I guess it's okay since they're curious at first.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Number 1 is learn the rules. All strategy comes after that.

In terms of strategy; opening ranges is easily the most important. Everything else flows from having good solid ranges. 100bb for cash games. 30-40bb for tournaments.

If you're taking it in anyway seriously, bankroll management is the next thing.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Know the importance of pre-flop positions and bets.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The rules for starters plus developing your own style. Stay away from poker "gurus" who I believe lead you down the garden path, whatever they say don't do, you should probably go and do it because if everybody is doing the same being the antidote can be a huge advantage.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you should learn about range and position, I think this is a very important thing to learn

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I would try to focus only on the cash tables, I think it is the most profitable type of poker that can exist and of course control of my bankroll.

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I would definitely start with theory first and cc forum. I know that practise is considered the most important part but many Times the in depth theory is simply pu on the back burner and never returned to.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, it is necessary to direct your desire to perseverance. It is better to pay attention to thinking than to the mathematical factors of poker. Because it all starts with a thought process.

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will start by developing my patience and my physical stamina in games, in principle I play poker correctly while respecting my range for a long time, often until the bubble,

but in tournaments, specily those takes more than 3 hours I lose patience, I need to develop my endurance

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, choose the modality first and play only that modality. I would also focus on preflop hand ranges, both mine and the opponents', odds and outs.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Read Dan Harringtons poker books and start building a bankroll playing freerolls ,never make a deposit only withdrawals,most important: find a way to play poker you enjoy.