If you had to start learning poker from the very beginning, what would you focus on?

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Definitely preflop charts + the concept of outs and pot chances to avoid the pointless search for a straight/flush on the river, etc.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
What do you think is the most important thing when starting out?
Obviously it is learning the rules of poker.
- Card Rankings, from deuce up to ace where ace can also be a "one" for a wheel.
- Number of cards, 13 for each colour making it 52 cards in total.
- Hand Rankings, from "Highcard" up to "Royal flush"
- That always the best five cards count, there could be used zero,
one or two of the cards in your hand plus the community cards to make the best five.
- The meaning of the dealer button and the smallblind and bigblind
- How the rounds of betting are executed, preflop, flop, turn, river.
- The chance to bet as much as you want everytime the action is on you.

Very basic concepts:
- "Premium hands" vs "Good Hands" vs "Drawing Hands" vs "Trash" with a reminder that 40%-80% depending on position is trash.
- Good Draws(OE-Straight- and Flush Draws) vs Bad Draws (Just one or two overcards, Gutshots with no overcards)
- Positional awareness ...
- Stealing from Button (and CO) ...
- Defending from Blinds ..
- General art of 3betting ...
- General art of bluffing ...

Continue with Cardchat 30days Course

etc.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would focus on freerolls, namely our CardsChat freerolls. That is, I would first become a member of the CardsChat community, fulfill all the conditions in order to gain access to silver and platinum freerolls, and simply build my bankroll.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
A few things that I would recommend for a beginner player to pay attention to!

1. If possible, try all the games that are offered on poker sites:

-Texas Holdem (Pot limit, No limit and Fix limit)
-7 card Stud
-Razz
-Omaha (Hi-Lo)
-7 card stud, and more....

2. Find the most profitable and lovable game for you (if possible on freerolls)

3. Always give yourself a bankroll that doesn't (excessively) affect your personal life!

4. Set limits for yourself, as an example: 4 games per week $2.20....

5. Play, learn! ;)

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Position as an overriding concept, and so many things branch off from that.

I agree with those saying that pre flop charts would be important . We open tighter from UTG than we do from the button on these charts. Why? Position.

We should fold some hands in the small blind facing an UTG raise, but continue with the same cards in the big blind facing a button raise. Why? Position. We're out of position in both, but there's a big difference between those two situations.

Thinking in terms of ranges instead of hands, which goes back to your preflop charts as a starting point, which goes back to position.

Some basic post-flop play, focusing on whether to cbet or not, and how to play against one. Again, position plays a part in all that.

Away from position - basic odds and probabilities. How to count outs, the "rule of 2 and 4" shortcut, chances of flopping a set/flush draw/at least a pair/nothing, and what that means for you and your opponent, overcards vs pocket pairs etc.

Last edited:
N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would focus on rules, being patient, folding big hands when apropriate, bluffing.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, I started playing poker at the end of 2018, to this day I see that many players are playing hands that they shouldn't play. Firstly, you need to study the pre flop ranges, which hands I should play from each position, which hands I should play 3bet. A professional player knows the theory and rarely makes mistakes, I'm talking about the guys who are considered the best in the world. An example is a UTG, with 60bb opens and you are in UTG1 with 55bb, which hands should you play of calling and which hands should you 3bet? You have to study the pre flop, if you learn the pre flop it is enough to be profitable in micros.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
For beginners, it will be important to decide which format they like best – and learn to play it.Don't jump straight to high limits and think about your opponents' cards.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Eliminate bad hands, because before I started playing I often traded with bad hands.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Aside from the obvious work on patience, bankroll management and mental/toughness/tilt control. Preflop charts as it all starts preflop. Start with a simple but effective TAG style of play and as gain experience and learn the tendencies of your player pool you start and learn to exploit and build your game/strategy. Once you reach 50nl and are crushing it then the real work and studying begins in my opinion.

Also start early working on ranges and defense from the SB & BB.

Also if you're doing any amount of playing online get a HUD even if the site you play at doesn't allow them during play. HUD's a are resource and tool for offline studying and hand reviews.

Cheers!!!

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
First of all start with the basics of the game, Game concepts/hand rankings/pot odds .... etc. Than Learn 3 Things;

-Bankroll Management
-Game Selection
-equity (Your grasp of equity is critical to improving.)

GOOD LUCK ;).

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really liked your question, but in my opinion I would be more observant and take note of every player and play

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would spend more time bluffing properly because I lost so much money when I did it wrong when I was new to poker, and if I had to start studying again, I advise new players to spend more time bluffing and learn because you can't win poker honestly, you have to be able to bluff

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think that Preflop charts . A good start to learning

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd suggest starting out by playing 6max 2nl cash games. And getting 100k hands. Then move up to 5nl.
Get this basic foundation down prior to branching out to other areas. It'll help you immensely having postflop skills on deep stacks even for when you transition to MTT's.

Learn to Value Bet correctly. Everything is based from this.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I think today there is so much information available online but a difficult thing could be knowing 'Where do I start?'

I've been playing recreationally for fun, for ~15years & have also enjoyed studying the game along the way (actually quite a bit when I first got started) and yet even now I still have some difficulty knowing
"what do I study now? And where does it go from there?"

I think doing the Cardschat 30-day course would be a great place to start from. I haven't done it myself but I am certain it is set up very well and it'd give you a great foundation (< which is key!)

Often I see players who look as if they are trying to implement stuff they've seen on Twitch, or Youtube but they are not incorporating it effectively, or appropriately and there is some glaring leaks in their approach. Leading them to FPS (fancy play syndrome).

You can also find some good courses online.
For cash games there's a book by Blackrain that is good for playing micros.

Another excellent course is 'Cash Game Hero' by Scrimitzu

It might seem like a lot to spend $100, or $200 but honestly these will pay for itself in no time at all.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would focus on learning to be able to fold good hands when I sense I may be beat.

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would focus on the fact that limping into a game is a big mistake in most cases.