I feel like i am a great player but emotion is ruining my game.

G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I t6hink ak is the third best hand for all in, so i go always all in with ak and mostly win. But i have played a freeroll the last time in pokerstars and loosed ak against aq 85k chips. I was so aggressive that i go all in with j6 and lost my last 20k. I also cannot control myself from agression in the poker game. I also even destroyed a lap top because of poker, would you recommend me not to play poker.
you answered your own question there my friend, if poker makes you distroy things you need to take a break and read some poker books before starting to play again

G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
locha this may help you too

Poker Tilt – The 3 Types Of Poker Tilt

1. Angry Tilt: This form sees you become increasingly angry and frustrated as losses mount, only to be tipped over the edge by a bad-beat. Red mist descends and turns you from a rational and winning player into a monster determined to spread chips to all of your opponents, usually by over-betting or making bluffs which – when analyzed in the cold light of day – had very little chance of working.
  2. Frustrated Tilt: Every time you raise with kings, 3 people call you and an ace flops. Each time you flop an over-pair a flush is possible on the river, and each time you flop a flush the board pairs… frustration grows and grows and your play inevitably suffers. This is closely related to angry tilting but distinct in that the feeling is one of tension instead of anger. You may play too passively, refusing to give up pots when the situation suggests you should fold early. You may play too aggressively against an opponent who took chips from you earlier in order to ‘get even’. Feeling frustrated is a bad starting point in any poker game and will invariably cloud your decision making processes.
  3. Despondent Tilt: Every time you get your money in you lose, every time you get a pair someone has a higher one, someone always gets lucky when you are close to the bubble… in fact what you do does not matter – because you are bound to lose anyway. This is the line of thinking caused by despondent tilt, this occurs when you have mentally resigned yourself to losing – and is actually hugely dangerous. It is a primary cause of passive play and can quickly lead to a self-fulfilling prophesy… you expect to lose at the same time as giving free cards to opponents, and so end up losing another pot – and so on.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it since I have not read this entire thread, but take a look at Jared Tendlers book .I believe it is called the mental side of poker,it may help anyone who has tilt issues.......scorp

G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it since I have not read this entire thread, but take a look at Jared Tendlers book .I believe it is called the mental side of poker,it may help anyone who has tilt issues.......scorp
ive read that scorp it helped me im sure it whould help others too

C

cpgd176

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you wanna be a serious poker player and get results, you have to keep your emotions in check. This will come over time. I'm pretty sure we were all pretty pissed off when we suffered our first bad beat and also jumping for joy when we won our first 'big' pot. But trying to remain as emotionally detached is hard but with enough practice it will come.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
locha this may help you too

Poker Tilt – The 3 Types Of Poker Tilt
  1. Angry Tilt: This form sees you become increasingly angry and frustrated as losses mount, only to be tipped over the edge by a bad-beat. Red mist descends and turns you from a rational and winning player into a monster determined to spread chips to all of your opponents, usually by over-betting or making bluffs which – when analyzed in the cold light of day – had very little chance of working.
  2. Frustrated Tilt: Every time you raise with kings, 3 people call you and an ace flops. Each time you flop an over-pair a flush is possible on the river, and each time you flop a flush the board pairs… frustration grows and grows and your play inevitably suffers. This is closely related to angry tilting but distinct in that the feeling is one of tension instead of anger. You may play too passively, refusing to give up pots when the situation suggests you should fold early. You may play too aggressively against an opponent who took chips from you earlier in order to ‘get even’. Feeling frustrated is a bad starting point in any poker game and will invariably cloud your decision making processes.
  3. Despondent Tilt: Every time you get your money in you lose, every time you get a pair someone has a higher one, someone always gets lucky when you are close to the bubble… in fact what you do does not matter – because you are bound to lose anyway. This is the line of thinking caused by despondent tilt, this occurs when you have mentally resigned yourself to losing – and is actually hugely dangerous. It is a primary cause of passive play and can quickly lead to a self-fulfilling prophesy… you expect to lose at the same time as giving free cards to opponents, and so end up losing another pot – and so on.

Ah yes, very good summary.

I've found that the only way to break the cycle is to quit.

Once you're in tilt mode, particulary the third mode, it's very hard to break out. You need to reset mentally. Additionally, poker software has a tendence to be very streaky. If you don't turn off the client, the bad luck continues.

BatteredMugshot

BatteredMugshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel as though i am a better poker player then my results are showing simply because i let emotion run my game sub consciously and i do not know how to remove this from my game, can anyone help?
I had the same issue recently! I found that about a week away from the table, followed by a day of studying/brushing up on my game helped alot!! Im more confident now of my actions that i was a few weeks ago. I think the tilt kinda builds up and it may help to get a punching bag with a fish/donkey face :) to alleviate said stress build up

BatteredMugshot

BatteredMugshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love how insightful these threads get! Reading through and hearing a few differing opinions presents a nice contrast to extract information from

V

veselqka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think im a good player,but i feel i dont have the nerve to play for more than 2-3 hours i dont know why...

ROYALKNIGHT

ROYALKNIGHT

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have my ups and downs. It runs in cycles. Right now its in the down stages.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One other point, if you have been playing well, then suddenly take a bad beat, it may put you on tilt. You might think about quitting for awhile, after you take a bad beat, as soon as you can, if you find that you start gambling after taking a bad beat and going on tilt, instead of making correct, rational decisions. A bad beat is one of the key things that can put a player on tilt, after which it is wise to leave the table if you can, before you blow your stack. There was a story recently about a guy who couldn't withdraw from one site due to technical problems the site was having, which put him on tilt, after which he blew his whole roll that he had been trying to withdraw. That's another thing that can put you on tilt, various technical or other computer problems. Also being interrupted by someone while playing, and so on ...

A

ariolis30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
once you get through the emotion youll become more +ev. sometimes you think your not tilting but you are. just think about how much youve spewed because you let your emotions get in the way and didnt know it. start by just getting off and evaluating

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of, I thought also that I consider myself great but realized now that we are all the same.
Second, you can identify if emotion runs your game if you play the opposite of your usual or normal play. If it occurs 3x or more, you have to stop and save your BR.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I admire Jared Tendler's mental approach to addressing emotions at the poker table. He has a lot of other great info too, especially on the mental game, which I think is 70% of it.

This video might assist you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-bl9lyrp-o

M

mitea2013

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep calm and you will got the million.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is because you don't focus enough, and with this i mean that you need to be alert with the basic things that you may be overlooking. These are the sizes of the bets, the reactions of other players or the proactivity, actually small things that with time will sum (or actually they will decrease your stack) and if you stop noticing them you'll get kicked of the table.

The key is to consciusly pay attention to those things. In each hand remember the basics and analyze what's the best move, quite simple. You focus the enough time till you make the habit, then you won't be a good player, you will be a winner ;)

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most peoples emotions in tourneys I've noticed and talked about with my poker buddies, comes to the surface the nearer you are to the cut off line for the money. You see it especially with the lower chip stacks, they let there time clocks run down all the time keeping an eye on that line hoping against hope that just another player goes out so that you are a little bit closer and you have a chance to make the money.
It is even worse as a short stack you get a hand like AK/O/J or a small middle pair out of position because many big stacks will call in the hope of eliminating another player, so do you call, shove or fold?. This I think is where the highest amount of emotion is felt until you have the chance of making the final table.

W

widowmaker024

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel i should reply, i posted this so long ago!, I took an extremely long break from the game and came back with my mind in a better place and i am finding even though i am still taking beats and learning the game i am far less emotional.

transformpoker

transformpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever asked yourself why you're emotional about outcomes out of your control?

All poker players are willingly subjecting themselves to the variance of the game. Try to think of variance as something akin to a strategic option. If you handle variance better than the next guy and tilt less, then you win more than him and move up through the limits quicker. Just asking this question is a great start! It means you know you have a weakness and you're cool enough to admit it. Great!

Personally, I can say that having a firm mathematical grasp on just how ridiculous the variance in NLHE and other poker games can be allows me to take really any beat and shrug it off. As I above mentioned, the outcomes are out of your control, so why bother worrying about it. I think that's a good attitude for life in general, but some may disagree to a point. Bad things happen to good people. Bad beats happen to good poker players. It's the way it is. Learn to accept it (now that you admit it exists) and keep grinding.

I rationalize it. You may find another method that works for you. Keep trying to find one and when you do, you'll be a much better player.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to see others at their game. Then simply watch your fellow CCer's going at it. all at the same time in the freerolls that are provided here.

Open up all the tables within the Tourney lobby & once the game has finished, go back through the hand history & see how its all done.

Anyone can view the tourney this way, you dont have to be a member of the FR Club to see other at play.

Last edited:
U

United

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to see others at their game. Then simply watch your fellow CCer's going at it. all at the same time in the freerolls that are provided here.

Open up all the tables within the Tourney lobby & once the game has finished, go back through the hand history & see how its all done.

Anyone can view the tourney this way, you dont have to be a member of the FR Club to see other at play.

Yea but let's be honest here: Most people don't play freerolls like they would a normal tournament. With no money on the line, there isn't anything to lose, so more risks get taken.

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be patient and try to do not broke if thats will happen take break for one month example You have to take a risk almost always at poker if You want win

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are going against one of the bully on the table i think AK is a perfect hand for a showdown.Try reraising the bully with this hand.But dont do this on practically everybody on the table.You might get caught.Anyway try to take some break.

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes when I was building my stack and i was little greedy that gonna make me out. Keep calm at first place!

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel as though i am a better poker player then my results are showing simply because i let emotion run my game sub consciously and i do not know how to remove this from my game, can anyone help?

You must psychologically distance your decision making from outcomes. Play each game as if your goal was simply to make better decisions than your opponents. don't play constantly thinking about what the prize will be if you win. Try to win for the sake of winning. Or even better yet, shift your focus from winning to decision-making. After all, if you make better decisions than your opponents, outcomes will be in your favor anyways

Good Luck

Top 10 Games