How to win in the freeroll tournaments?

I

Intense

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to win in the freeroll tournament, i heard that it is important to play it in super tight to keep yr stacks as much as you can...it can be bet/call only when you got AA, KK, QQ, AK & AQ...then what you need to do is raise & re-raise...in this way, you can get rid of the high risk and survive to the last stage...is that the same way as you are using now to win the prizes?? if not, any tips can be shared?? :confused:

Are you playing to win or just make the money? If your playing to win you will need to play more hands then that, or you will eventually get blinded out. You will also need to make some bluffs at the right time, but still play "super tight". I play a lot of freerolls, and make the money about 40% of the time.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing to win or just make the money? If your playing to win you will need to play more hands then that, or you will eventually get blinded out. You will also need to make some bluffs at the right time, but still play "super tight". I play a lot of freerolls, and make the money about 40% of the time.

What freerolls are you playing? 40 percent is a lot when only like 1 percent cash.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't wish to brag, but I have won a decent amount of freerolls in my year or two of playing online poker, ranging from 250 to 10000 entrants. When there are a bunch of sitters, there is only one strategy: get out of the gates fast and establish yourself as a BIG STACK who is NOT AFRAID. After all, it's just a freeroll - play smart, establish a nice image, but you're going to face a lot of donks who don't care and a small stack is JUST GOING TO HURT YOU. If you can build up early, within, say, 10 minutes (don't want to waste your time after all), then you have the opportunity to collect the blinds of the sitters at your table. In most 2700 FTP freeroll tournaments, there are about 500-600 players left after all the blinds are gone. Ideally, you'd like to be sitting anywhere better than 150 when that happens. By now, you probably have a tighter table of people who are starting to smell the money, and haven't played with you. There are two possible strategies: sit still, pick your moments, get a good image, etc. This is how I would normally play a cash tournament, obviously mixing it up a bit and taking apart the table if I smell weakness. HOWEVER, in a freeroll tournament you have to understand that hardly anyone pays attention to image or thinks above what they have (and maybe what you have). Therefore, as I have found, it is necessary to take advantage of their weakness so that you can force yourself to the top of the leaderboard and make a legitimate claim for the cash. HOWEVER, DO NOT BE STUPID! Being aggressive doesn't mean blind pushes and constant reraises - anyone will notice all in after all in after all in. Pick your spots, especially with those you notice have patterns (such as raise from button every time). If when the top 100 hits, you are above 30, just tighten up, pick your spots, and you should make it there.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a quick update: used the strategy I detailed above, went out 38/2700. Unfortunately, I ran AK into both AK and 99 with a semi short stack. The K hit but so did the 9. Anyways, point being I got pretty deep...was fun, and certainly refreshed my poker mind. Good luck!

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
early on the tournament you dont have to get involved in any hand because its full of calling machines and you would risk too much with any hand

when you think you are in the next step, start playing very thight and lately, thight but much more agressive, because no one wants to lose time, and then people start to think twice before calling, so you can steal lot of blinds

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Freerollers are the slot machine players of poker"
--VP Pappy

those are true words, but lately on the tournament everybody takes it more seriously because nobody wants to lose time, so if you can survive the first hour or two, it becomes more real

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is good until the blinds start killing your chips.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2700 FTP freeroll tournaments, there are about 500-600 players left after all the blinds are gone.

Ahg i wish FT still had the 2700s... my problem at like 600-400 im usually short stacked with 20K in chips, and like you said, hard to create a real image on the table when the skill of the players are so low that they dont really pay attention. But thanks for the suggestions, they can definitely help.

I

Intense

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What freerolls are you playing? 40 percent is a lot when only like 1 percent cash.

I just mostly play in the private freerolls on full tilt that don't have more then 400 players.

playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah! those strategies are really helpfull! Do play only the better hands, means AA,KK,AK,AQ,QQ,QK.... Because in freerolls ppls dont worry about the calling,betting and raising often they will play with mid pair or even low pair and even for the draw..! and more over they will hit or something, dont worry about that. And you must play like these only at the starting level of the game, You should be very tight at the beginnig of the game, once you going to higher levels or the higher blinds, Play aggressive and do change your strategy. I hope these strategies will help you. But be aware, your opponent may hold anything try to read it out and play according to it!!

V

VP Pappy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VP PAPPY'S HALLOWED HOLD'EM THOUGHTS

Maybe these tips will help, although they're not specific to freerolls. Print them out and read before every event.

From my (probably never to be published, but I keep trying)

VP Pappy’sHolier Than Thou

HALLOWED HOLD'EM THOUGHTS

Devout
Strategies, Tactics, Concepts, Ploys, Wit, Wisdom, and Wackiness on Poker

Best Tournament Strategies

1. The object of tournament play is to win chips, not just survive.
2. Selective aggression is the best style.
3. Make sure you are well rested.
4. Get people to fear and respect you.
5. Try to get reads on your opponents.
6. Avoid the good players.
7. Attack the bad players.
8. Who is predictable?
9. Avoid the very aggressive players.
10. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open.
11. Always be aware of what’s going on at your table.
12. Concentrate on reading one player at a time.
13. Who is nervous when they bet or raise?
14. Who is relaxed when they bet or raise?
15. Don’t be afraid to risk all your chips when you have the edge.
16. Make smaller bets and raises.
17. Make a lot of smaller bets and raises with or without a good hand.
18. Even with your best hands, be more inclined to bet big rather than go all-in.
19. Be prepared to fold if the going gets hot.
20. Stay focused and keep your composure.
21. Look for your opponents mistakes.
22. Look for tells.
23. Look for the actors.
24. Stay calm. Don’t get excited.
25. Playing aggressively, be prepared to win and lose a lot of chips quickly.
26. If you bet and get raised, make the third raise a lot of the times.
27. In late position, open with a lot more hands.
28. Try to find a reason to play more hands.
29. Mostly, fold under the gun.
30. Play a lot of pots, but not every pot.
31. Vary your play.
32. Make a slightly larger raise in middle position.
33. Always be aware of the size of the pot.
34. Always be aware of what kind of hands that can beat you.
35. Take your time before responding to a raise. Think it through.
36. Dare to go broke if you have the edge, but don’t do anything stupid.
37. Slow-play and check-raise every now and then.
38. Always figure out the approximate odds.
39. Play your normal, standard strategy most of the time.
40. Enter more pots raising.
41. Don’t gamble on 50-50 hands.
42. Slowly build up your chip stack.
43. Go after the small stacks.
44. You have to go after the blinds occasionally.
45. Be willing to gamble more, later in the tournament.
46. Always try to guess what your opponents might have.
47. After the flop, make more half and pot sized bets with your good hands.
48. Try to see flops as cheaply as possible.
49. Preflop, call an all-in with A-A only early in the tournament.
50. Don’t play too many drawing hands unless a lot of players are in the pot.
51. Don’t bluff very often.
52. Avoid the big stacks.
53. Position can be more valuable than your cards.
54. Every single chip is precious. Guard them with your tournament life.
55. You will need to get lucky or you will finish out of the money.
56. Always factor in your chances of going broke and losing the tournament.
57. If you are playing tight, you will have to put in some small bets and raises
occasionally or no one will call you when you get a good hand.
58. Give all check-raisers respect.
59. If you feel you have read you opponent correctly, don’t be afraid to fold your good
hand.
60. Keep you opponents guessing.
61. Get those extra bets from your opponents.
62. Value bet more.
63. Don’t sweat letting the small pots go.
64. When in doubt, fold. It’s only one hand.
65. Try to be the leader at your table.
66. It’s tough to do, but try to steal some pots.
67. Low pairs should be played cautiously.
68. Don’t get carried away with a high pair.
69. Study the better players.
70. Survival is obviously important, but you must accumulate chips.
Never,never, ever, ever give up!... and just throw your last chips away.

A

Anteman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but how to you handle not go go all-in when you have a manica at your table going all-in all the time and you sit with 10,10 or ace,king.do you wait for a even bigger hand or shall you go for it...i usally go for it and get bet like yesterday by queen,2 on 10,10 and 3,7 on ace,king.......cant help calling too..i get so frustrated knowing the have a wrose hand before flop...

A

AlexA1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you win freerolls with cash prizes?

Just a question I have been wondering for a while because I don't know how any decent player can win in one of those donkfests and was just wondering how some got through ITM.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Careful play, good decisions and a lot of luck at the right time.

Many folks have BR's started from $0.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey i started with a 0$ bankroll, played on pokerstars my country's freeroll, i never won it but cashed in many times. play tight, wait for good hands, and try to get it all in preflop, after you get in the money, and blinds are bigger play like you would play any tournament, steal blinds, play position, etc. winning it is hard, you have to get really lucky, but if you play solid poker you can cash in time after time.

after i cashed in a few times i started playing the 10c tournaments on pokerstars, builded a 10$ bankroll and now i grind 1c/2c full ring.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly in many ways freerolls are the easiest to play, because you can extract maximum value for hands and if you have a bit of luck and time you can go deep in many of them. Around the bubble you have a lot of inexperienced players just looking to cash, which you can take advantage of quite easily to steal.

R

Riveam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally get you here. I've been playing a good few of the Full Tilt ones over the last couple of days and I feel the same. I think the thing is that you can play as many as you like because you're unconstrained by a bankroll. So if you're dilligent and patient and try and make the best decisions you can, eventually you can get the right combination of luck and skill to cash in one (particularly the FT ones as they only pay like the top 1% or something). Keep trying and get up as much of a roll as possible, grind 1c/2c and you never know where you might end up. Personally I try and keep it ultra TAG in Freerolls.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally get you here. I've been playing a good few of the Full Tilt ones over the last couple of days and I feel the same. I think the thing is that you can play as many as you like because you're unconstrained by a bankroll. So if you're dilligent and patient and try and make the best decisions you can, eventually you can get the right combination of luck and skill to cash in one (particularly the FT ones as they only pay like the top 1% or something). Keep trying and get up as much of a roll as possible, grind 1c/2c and you never know where you might end up. Personally I try and keep it ultra TAG in Freerolls.

I recently had the bright idea of building an online bankroll (I have always played live) and have spent the last week or so grinding the fulltilt freerolls, admittedly I haven't cashed nearly as often as I'd have liked to. Their Round 1 sattelite tournaments seem to be the best bet. 1) They offer 250 seats out of 10k players as opposed to their other freerolls which pay the top 45 out of 7.5k players. 2) The weekly 1k freeroll that you win a seat in is extremely soft, most of the players don't show up and the ones that do are freeroll players. The total field is up to 30k but really there's probably less than 7k active players.

I notice that the players in all of the fulltilt freerolls who seem to be trying to use some form of strategy (as opposed to donks playing to get lucky) are all weak tight. I'm actually seeing about 30% of flops (almost invariably as pre-flop aggressor and either on the button or with tight players behind me) and finding this by far the safest and most effective method of accumulating chips, I'm also finding that when your stack is moderate to big you really don't want to play for all of your chips even against some of these guys whose range is ridiculously weak. It's just too high variance and they'll let you steal pots (pre-flop and with c-bets mostly) like crazy. To do this: play from position, if there's no sign of strength before you then raise just about anything that there's a good chance will give you some kind of draw on the flop. High cards (QJ or better) will likely give you overcards (assuming you msis), SCs, including suited gappers... hell, J7s in the CO or better is as good as a premium hand in these tournaments. Make all of your pre-flop raises either 3x the previous raise or if there are a lot of players who've limped, make your raise about 80-90% of the pot size.
Notice that your opponents are almost all betting way too small relative to the pot, abuse this. They let you draw cheaply because they don't price you out, and they get no value for their hands because they're betting like 20% of the pot once the blinds get high. Overbet for value on the river often.
Also pre-flop even with a lot of raggy hands if you're say on the button and 4 people limp, assuming blinds of 1k/2k there's now 11k in the pot, make a bet of about 10k and all of these players wont want to harm their precious stacks and you'll get folds easily enough to make this immediately proffitable. People will occasionally call but you really have to force yourself to c-bet near 100% of the time in these things, you keep telling yourself that they have to adapt to you... and that guy just re-raised you so he must have figured it out... no, he had a hand, these guys are brain dead, believe it and just keep pounding away with your relentless c-bets.
Remember: Play the odds that the pot gives you. That is the major exploitable point in these tournaments, huge pots and small bets from players who will be scared away by a 2/3 pot bet in the later stages.

Sorry that none of this is really clear or organised, but it's nearly 2am and it's been a long day so I'll get the content down but there's no way it's going to look organised.

Anyway, c-bets, basically you're looking to c-bet with a huge frequency but it is highly dependent on the board texture. For instance "safe" flops like 55J are gold mines because your opponents just don't play back at you, they didn't hit, you probably didn't hit, but they aren't thinking that far into it or are too timid to do anything about it, so take their money. Also any flop where you have say a 20% or greater chance of improving by the river needs a c-bet almost every time simply because fold equity is huge if you size your bets properly and when they do call and you do hit your draw you can take their stack a very high percentage of the time. Remember: value bet bigger rather than smaller.

Also, as a last couple of notes:
1: Most of the above applies to mid to late stages with moderate or better stacks. Early on you can still play fairly loose, but whether you play TAG or LAG here you're aiming to catch some kind of hand and find an opponent dumb enough to donate his stack. Waiting for big hole cards will be a dissapointment (they'll come rarely and hold up even less), see some flops from position with a wide range including all good hands and some implied odds hands (not trash but good implied odds hands). If in the latter stages you're short, then you're playing shove or fold, although I have noticed that the stop and go/go and go plays work very well in these tournaments.
2: Like I said at the start of this post, I haven't had the success in these things that I'd have liked. I think I've played a grand total of about 15 and placed in 3. I'm putting that down to small sample size though, these tournaments are definately beatable.
3: If anyone follows any of my advice, expect occasional runs of bad luck where your opponents keep catching cards, it will happen but not nearly as often as they keep folding to you.
4: Occasionally you'll run into an aggressive table, this is just a whole bunch of idiots who put some bad beats on people and managed to get big stacks and they're throwing them around just begging to go bust. At these tables, tighten up and play good hands. You will proffit in doing this, but not as much as you will from your relentless stealing, however you'll be moved to another table before long anyway and you can be the bully there.

With that said, 15 or so freerolls was 15 too many for my liking and I decided to smarten up and deposit instead. I would recommend this if it's at all possible for you.

L

LexusRamirez

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice is stay away from them sure evry1 can afford a couple hundred to deposit in theree acccount micro and freerolls wont get u anywere stay away from them

Y

YUSAD5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
simple. jus play your cards right. i never play hands under 10-10 so andything between 10-10 and AA i play. trust me deep stack is the worst, the best would have to be mid stacks.

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a good way to start building a bankroll. There are also alot of terrible players in them that dont know what they are doing. My advice would be deposit a few bucks and play your own $ instead of playin a freeroll for 4-5 and make $5

Steves22

Steves22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls can be broken down into so many different stages. First of all I never play a freeroll from the beginning. I usually sit down 20 minutes after it has started. I just hate low blind play. All you can gain is small amounts or you can easily lose anything with the way people play at the beginning of these things. After you survive that stage you are now in the chip building stage to lets say 10,000. Once you get there your trying to get to 20,000. You make it to these chip amounts by trying to see alot of cheap flops and hit hands and/or just waiting for premium starting hands. Next your on to 50,000 or so in chips. If you make it to this level you really got a good shot. Then on to 100,000. At this chip level you really should make the final table. Now for me the final table is the easiest part of the tournament. While everyone else is playing hard i'm sitting back waiting for people to get knocked out and good hands.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
43. Go after the small stacks.

you should stay away from small and big stacks and attack medium stacks.

zek

zek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you are in a special rewards freeroll with a good chance of cashing I'd rather go all-in while everyone else is to have a shot at a nice 4x up or better in the first rounds. If you are in a regular freeroll you don't care if you go out since the next freeroll somewhere else will be starting in a few seconds. Don't want your time grinding it out for a chance at some pennies.