How to win in the freeroll tournaments?

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After thinking about this for awile, to me that is way to tight. prem, and strongs hand will be good to use in a tournament. Draw hand can be use too but it depends on the table as well if you have very tight players at your tables then playing alittle loose it a good thing to try to get some action on the table.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
43. Go after the small stacks.

you should stay away from small and big stacks and attack medium stacks.

Only if you're bluffing/stealing. If you're bigstacked with something like AT its fine to go after the shortstacks.

LexusRamirez said:
my advice is stay away from them sure evry1 can afford a couple hundred to deposit in theree acccount micro and freerolls wont get u anywere stay away from them

A couple hundred? Why don't i just take another class at college? I think I will, and try and score free money and build from there instead. Not everyone has 200 to put down on poker, at least I don't.

V

VP Pappy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
General Freeroll Strategy

General Freeroll Strategy (at least the way I play it)

1. Don't play the first hand unless you have a top five starting hand.
2. Identify, and record, who the best players are.
3. Avoid the bullies, for now.
4. Mostly, play against the poor players.
5. Don't let your personal feelings effect your decisions.
6. Don't hold grudges.
7. Don't get fancy.
8. Play a straight, basic, solid game.
9. With your best hands, bet and raise larger.
10. Most poor players will call almost anything.
11. Pre-flop, you must try to get some of the callers out with your big
pairs.
12. The more callers, the more likely someone will get lucky.
13. Slow-play nut and near nut hands only.
14. Almost always raise if you are going to play the hand anyway and you
are the first to enter the pot.
15. Rarely bluff.
16. Call a bet...with a good hand.
Call a raise...with a great hand.
Call a re-raise...with a near-nuts hand.
Call and all-in...with the nuts hand.

"Playing poker correctly should be a series of well-planned small steps, rather than one ill-concieved giant leap."
--VP Pappy

N

NYRebirth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i say gamble early because you can sit there and get KKs or AAs and a person will call with just j10 suited and still beat you because them gambled and can afford to gamble because they already accumulated chips.

moemtg

moemtg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trye True

I would have to agree with the fact that most of the freeroll players are just either a) inexperienced b) don't care all in on any cards, c) or just a crap player all together... then there are the higher end people that take control of these games... however... if you play super tight like you mentioned... you only have the luck of the draw to help you seeing as that you are only angling for a few cards in a deck. My advice, play it well... get a feel of you table and see who is who and how they play (hopefully you do not get a lot of tables changes).

Anyway that's just my two cents worth about that.
Moe.;)

V

VP Pappy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donkeys and Fish

Guys,

We are all probably better off if we don't look at the new, inexperienced players we encounter in freerolls as Donkeys and Fish. Most probaly hold down good, tough, respectable jobs that require a lot of skill and finesse that we couldn't do ourselves. When you refer to their character with such derogatory names like that, you are defining your character, not theirs.

I'd rather call them "NEWBIES."

And you can't get angry because they stayed with that Q-6 offsuit and caught trips on the river to beat your A-A. You should, instead, be glad they are in the game. That A-A hand YOU HAD will win 4 out of 5 times...that is "IF" you can get it down by raising to just one or two (at most) players.

Yea, you are going to run into a few angry, loud-mouthed jerks now and then, but they will be in the minority. Most players are cordial and friendy and don't derserve our anger and contempt. Save it for Osama Bi Ladin and the Taliban.

Terrence "VP Pappy" Muphy

“I like playing poker against women who have a good head on their shoulders. Headless women scare the hell out of me."--VP Pappy

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple hundred? Why don't i just take another class at college? I think I will, and try and score free money and build from there instead. Not everyone has 200 to put down on poker, at least I don't.

Exactly! I resolved not to pay for online poker, because what happens if you go busto and lose that first $200? Just put in another $200? I've seen too many people throwing thousands away playing above their means. The last thing I need to tell my wife is that I put $600 on my site of choice to clear an initial depositor bonus. :D

Fortunately I've won one of the FTP freerolls and cashed in a few others, so now it's all about BRM management. It would be a lot harder for me to learn how to manage my money on these sites if it wasn't clear that losing it all was the end, until more freeroll cashes came through.

C

crajeejosh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just wondering are freerolls worth playing and or am i wasting my time. because i placed on money only once in my freeroll tournament time which was 5 dollars. now i cant even make the top 100. is it easy to make bankroll with freeroll tournaments? by that i mean like following strategy and stuff.

dontshiveagit

dontshiveagit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find that there are much more donks in freerolls so i just let them do the betting when i have a monster nd they dig their own graves

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find that there are much more donks in freerolls so i just let them do the betting when i have a monster nd they dig their own graves

What do you do in a freeroll when four people call an all-in with your monster? And what if you don't get a monster until you're down to your last few hundred chips? Freerolls are a frustrating beast; patience is rewarded with all-in bets from rags that sometimes hold up. :(

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do in a freeroll when four people call an all-in with your monster? And what if you don't get a monster until you're down to your last few hundred chips? Freerolls are a frustrating beast; patience is rewarded with all-in bets from rags that sometimes hold up. :(

You degrade urself to using semi-monsters like AQ :p, or u play tricky with pocket pairs and 89s lol.

H

HOLDEMNEWFIE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to see as many flops as possible earlt on, build up my stack and as the game goes on i tighten up and play only good hands i find this works well for me.

B

budebuzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I read King Curtis and one of the other strategy articals and am going to try a free roll later and see if I do any better. I seem to get fairly far into a tournament but then I think I really need to tighten up because I will get a high PP like K's and get a lot of money in and still get beat, I will fold if an A's hits the flop in that case to the all in bet but maybe I shouldn't because most of the time I am not able to get a read on the table quickly and not sure if someone is really willing to risk the all in with a bluff. Most of the time I dont think players are noticing who is tight and not sure they care even after 3 hours of play. Maybe I just get tired or something, any suggestions for getting tired?

C

chattin35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice is stay away from them sure evry1 can afford a couple hundred to deposit in theree acccount micro and freerolls wont get u anywere stay away from them

There is a certain element of pride in saying that you built your bankroll from nothing. Really, at this level, it is pretty much a hobby for us all. Part of the fun and challenge is playing as hard as you can at a 2nl table with a $7 bankroll knowing that if you bust you'll have to start over at the freerolls. I've never had that cheap of an adrenaline rush, haha. If you are playing poker to make money, there are many much much more lucrative things you could do with the same time and mental skills necessary to be a good winning poker player.

That said, just play a normal solid tournament game and try to adjust to your opponents and table image. There is a wide variety of people playing these from really great players to 13 year olds playing poker for the first time on their dad's computer. You will have to get lucky a couple of times to win one of these. But, you will.

Peace!

MicroStakesManiac

MicroStakesManiac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play the Daily80G freeroll on Stars (which, miraculously, I won once) and here's my script:

A) Before the Start -- pray to higher power, b/c there's a **lot** of luck involved when you're wading through 10-20,000 players.

B) 0-10 Minutes -- be prepared to get it all in the first 10 minutes if you get a powerhouse. The opening 10 minutes are full of Psycho Donkeys who will go all in with ATC. In fact, just go all in if you have said powerhouse. A surprisingly high number of players will go with you, either b/c they're donkeys, or they suspect you are. And maybe they're aleady bored and ready to gamble or go home....

C) After 10 minutes -- play your best MTT. Tight and very aggressive. I follow the Moshman script. Avoid big pots during low blinds; don't slow play early.

GL.

C

CHAVIKI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to all

Thank's for all the info, still learning...