How to play QJ?

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This card is not very as beat a lot of hands like AQ AJ KQ KJ and so on , so after the raise I can safely throw away this hand, and only go if I was Kolov ))) you need to look at the situation:)

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Only will play it in certain situations if its suited.
Other than that I most likely dump them quick before I give myself a chance to make a bad play.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not a bad hand)) you Need to make a raise or call a raise if it is not very big), you need to play this hand, Yes, the same from early position

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good hand to me but only to improve your game if you fall 8 9 10 to be assured that it will be able to take these bad will happen if you enter J and your opponent has QK

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First loosen up your wrist. Do a few rotations and gently push your wrist back and forth with your other hand. Now pick your cards up and pitch them into the muck.
This hand is not a good hand. It doesn't even look like a good hand. I'm not even thinking of playing it unless it's suited or I got a super good read on my table. You're only playing this hand for a possible straight or maybe two pair with an unpaired board. Honestly I think you see the results of playing this hand. You should be folding just as quick as 72. Unless your super short stacked and have no choice. "Never go dead with a queen in your hand"
There are times that QJ is playable, just as any hand is playable and it all depends on table dynamics, to say "just toss it as if it was 72" is such bad advice, it does have possibilities, after all, they are Broadway cards.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I avoid this hand as much as I can , I can't (don't know how to) play it well , a lot of trouble for me in the past . Never in early position for sure for me , I try to play it very carefully in late position with my little knowledge I have :(

P

plyto777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on many factors: the position, the depth of the stack, the dynamics of the table.

P

peterpam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ is a fold hand for sure unless you are small or big blind and no one else has raised.
It is tempting to keep chasing when you bet with these cards because more often than not you will pair it or get cards above or below it.
All one has to get is a pair of kings or aces and you have lost all your money.

L

ludomaniaco24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is going to depeder of how the table is and what types of rivals I fix a lot of that to play QJ

S

Sacredoro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ is a hand that ends up costing me a lot of money at times. Mainly because I don't fold it when I should.
I tend to limp with it from any position and will fold to any violent raises.
I ended up losing with this hand because I know realise that I should've raised preflop to get rid of the hands I usually lose with.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times that QJ is playable, just as any hand is playable and it all depends on table dynamics, to say "just toss it as if it was 72" is such bad advice, it does have possibilities, after all, they are Broadway cards.

Agree 100%

RiversRage

RiversRage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very situational hand, I tend to play it in late position and honestly if no one has entered the pot I will raise it taking control of the hand enough that you can dictate a wet board and catch a straight keeping a hand like aj quiet on a flop like JA10

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play QJ when there is 1-3 BB pre flop raise (not in late stage of the game). When flop opens, I am ready to fold to any notable bet even if I catch a pair.

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How To Play QJ (Queen - Jack) - (Small Blind)
There are 11794 hands in our database where the player played QJ (Queen - Jack) in the Small Blind.
54% of players lost money on this hand, for an average loss of 15.4 big blinds.
===================
How To Play QJ (Queen - Jack) - (Big Blind)
There are 12006 hands in our database where the player played QJ (Queen - Jack) in the Big Blind. 52% of players lost money on this hand, for an average loss of 14.2 big blinds.
=====================
How To Play QJ (Queen - Jack) - UTG (Under the Gun)
There are 7158 hands in our database where the player played QJ (Queen - Jack) in the UTG (Under the Gun). 68% of players lost money on this hand, for an average loss of 12.1 big blinds.
=================
How To Play QJ (Queen - Jack) - (Middle Position)
There are 14997 hands in our database where the player played QJ (Queen - Jack) in the Middle Position. 69% of players lost money on this hand, for an average loss of 12.9 big blinds.
================
How To Play QJ (Queen - Jack) - CO (Cut Off)
There are 7220 hands in our database where the player played QJ (Queen - Jack) in the CO (Cut Off). 59% of players lost money on this hand, for an average loss of 15.0 big blinds
================
How To Play QJ (Queen - Jack) - (Button)
There are 9053 hands in our database where the player played QJ (Queen - Jack) in the Button. 58% of players lost money on this hand, for an average loss of 14.7 big blinds.
=============
How To Play QJ (Queen - Jack) - (Any Position)
There are 62252 hands in our database where the player played QJ (Queen - Jack) in the Any Position. 60% of players lost money on this hand, for an average loss of 14.3 big blinds.
=======
Very informative, thanks ritmos!

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will play for this hand just without raises. And if there's an opportunity to collect straight after flop (or flush if QJ suited) to continue slow-playing game.

Last edited:
shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually limp with QJ and dont pay more than 3bb preflop,i dont consider that is a very good hand,but is it worth playing it if doesnt cost you too much.

supermoto

supermoto

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can play but not risk much if you connect favorably you will surely benefit from them and more if they are of the same suit

I

ianleel

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I say fold in early position raise in late position

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I put my chips in the middle with QJ, I think I'm in good shape ofc when i hit my straight; when J is the highest card when flop comes,this situation is very exploitable in 1vs1 especially, when Q is the highest card, just fold if I don't have backdoor straight/flush options; when I hit 2 pairs with QJ, the best thing I can do is to reach showdown without investing a lot of chips because this hand can be easy dominated by K-10,10-9,A-K,A-Q,A-J,K-Q,K-J on the turn and river.

Last edited:
Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is all luck don't listen to the old advice about position.

You can play QJ anytime in any position it has no relevance to anything, Early position,or utg id call,middle call,late call blinds call.. The call is generally a mild one even to a raise in fact more so to a raise. Assume your utg you limp and 3 guys call in a 2-5 cash game and the button guy raises 4 x that's 20 bucks. Just call your looking for low variety flops such as 9-10-blank and q-j-4 flops. Flops like A-10-7 are also ok to check and call again if the button simply fails to bet enough to protect his good such as the 2 pair or a set you feel he has.

It's implied odds and speculation from a tight player and a raise so you call and it's much better to have the QJ non suited. If you whiff you fold it's a B- hand that can kill and it's easy to go away if your smart and fold top pair sometimes when you just know it's beat. A hand like 9-9 is statistically better,but it's the kind of hand you lose your stack with it's what you gotta realize! Flop is 10-9-4-4-6 Looks great and it is but sometimes it's boat over boat you lose everything! So forget about middle position or late position bullshi.. Juts call win 80% of a guys stack when you hit or lose like 8% of your and go away play the game!!

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no answer to this question, which is 100% correct.

It depends on many other questions. Position, Stack, ITM, ICM, other preflop action....what do you think about AK ? equity AKs(63%) vs. QJs(37%) so its probably not the worse hand. ;)

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you write about one hand. and if you consider the range?

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, this is not serious conversations, we need to discuss not this but ranges of hands in consideration of different game stages, stack sizes, structure, table size, positions and so on.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wel except from late position its a fold...