How to play AA or KK - Limping from early position good or not?

timfbmx

timfbmx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp-raise AA and KK every now and than. It's good to balance your limp range to not just small pairs :)

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to be open minded, but to me there has to be a special circumstance to limp with AA. Maybe you have a super aggressive player on your left that has been raising every hand is one that comes to mind, but normally, for me, I'm never giving cheap flops and Hope someone loses their mind.
http://livelowlimitpoker.blogspot.com/

D

DVFreewill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping AA or KK from early position to get more value good or not?

I never like to limp with AA or KK except maybe in late position heads up occasionally to add deception to your game.

torllyalex

torllyalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tournament ,in my experience is better to play them very aggressive :p

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp in on early positions and then shove if a raise comes, but on late positions it really matters what the other players do. I usually do a solid 3bb-5bb raise on late positions if it's just a few to no calls, if there's a raise, I might shove. If no one calls, I probably do a small raise hoping to catch something then shove on the flop (assuming my pair is the high pair showing.

MilosNCAA

MilosNCAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good if someone raise after you...but if no one raise and 3,4 players call and see the flop you are in very bad position for bad beat...When i play 9max i always raise on A's K's...But sometimes in 6max when i play against very aggressive players i just call waiting for other to raise..

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a situational circumstance.. If you know someone is loose yu limp try to let the aggro player raise then get some other callers before raising... Anytime short stack you always push because the situation calls for it.... It is not every time that aa or kk loses although it does happen.... every hand loses every now and again... for the mos tpart though get it in while you can....

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's put it this way:

NEVER limp with your premium hands - ALWAYS raise.

HOWEVER - since you are a good poker player, the words ALWAYS and NEVER are not in your vocabulary.

Officially, you should be raising these hands - even more especially if the table is filled with limpers. But there are situations where limping in is not only permissible, but prudent as well. But for some of you those situations are less than what you are thinking.
If you are limping because you want more (or as many) people in the hand to go the flop as you can (thinking you have them trapped) - then just flat out, bottom line - this is a very bad play that will put you in predicaments you would rather avoid. A killer scenario - you have AcAd and limp in UTG and 6 of you see a flop of AKJ all spades. YAY, you hit top set and think you are gold. But out of 5 different opponents, is it probable (beyond possible) one of them is holding two spades? Absolutely! Is it possible one of them holds QT? Absolutely! You hit top set and still have tough decisions on the next two streets - God forbid another spade comes out.

Two situations to limp:
Short handed (not 6-max) - If you have set up the situation at the final table with 2 to 4 of you left, limping monsters can be pretty profitable.

There is a super-aggro player downstream from you whose battle cry is "death to limpers". Set that sucker up. But if you are not sure you can get a limp-raise in, don't do it. Raise it up to your standard open raise (whatever that is for you) and know that the odds are in your favor to get a caller that you can at least attempt to put on a range.

The point is your worst situation on this hand is to go to a flop with only one BB invested. Whether 7 people are in the hand or just two of you, you have no idea where you stand after the flop - except that you have top pair. The bitch is the average winning hand in hold 'em is two pair - so you could very well be crushed before you even get to the turn.

M

Milli_Teer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion it really depends on your format SH/FR/HU and on the Information you got about your opponents. in generall i would recoment a minraise instead of limping.

josipjosip

josipjosip

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play poker tournaments MTT multitabling sometimes limp strong hands like Kings or Aces from early position, if no one limps before me in the pot is that "option" good or not?

not, its newer good to limp simply to move BB from play with 83off specialy when you now that u are gona call all in on flop 389. Prove me if i em wrong.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with limping is if you're at a passive table someone is bound to hit a set or maybe even a flush or straight draw. If you limp from early position and no one raises and the blinds limp in to, they can easily flop a set or better. I have found myself in this position so many times.

alittlepoker

alittlepoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wont do it make a raise i want as few hands to beat as possible il take a smaller win then a big one any time you start letting more players in the hand it not a good thing

D

DoctorDonLoL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the stage of the tournament
if u are short stake u go all in

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I limp I usually wait for a raise and then go all in pre flop. After the flop be careful because of trips flush and straight draws on multiple calls if you have more chips

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't limp with aces or kings, it's a bad plan.

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As many before mentioned:
- in general its bad idea to limp with monster.
- you need to be very sure there is someone behind you to raise, so you can 3bet a lot.
- noone will fall to such easy trap, unless its freeroll/micro

W

wizkid44

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This would come down to position and if the table is aggressive or passive.Every table will play different, you would have to adjust accordingly.

M

Mac_1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never slow playing AA or KK from early position, far too high a risk of too many players cheaply seeing the flop to hit two pair or better.
Would consider it from late position against a very aggressive opponent who can't wait to get their chips in the middle.

C

candace s

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If we are talking online I feel it is always a for sure allin nothing less. If it is live than a limp to a 4bet would be my choice. But I play online and get beat up all the time so the key is luck mostly I guess.

P

PAYtheLEGEND

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never good to limp with AA or KKs unless BvB against an Argo player.

S

satirist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping in with a pair isn't something I like to do too often; I'll fold 88, 77 etc., most of the time unless I desperately need to hit and am on legit tilt. Sounds like I play tilt pockets, but with AA and KK I have limped in countless times, (most expecting a reraise against a more agressive player, often, to no avail...) only to have one of the blinds or an out of position caller flop two pair or turn or river my dominant pair, when, had I raised pre-flop, I would've easily pushed the checkmark hand out. My general rule of thumb is to not slow play aces or kings, as they can and do fall to low hands, most especially when I don't push. There aren't many more satisfying plays than holding out pocket aces on dominant pair, high kicker, or other faux strong hands that some people can't seem to fold. : )

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a dumb question that is the next logical step for those of you (and me) who limp AA/KK in EP if you believe there is a good chance it will be raised.

do you limp anything else in EP? usually we're taught it's all raised or (much more often) folded, especially in a table not conducive to limping. so if you have an attentive villain they will know something's fishy, even if they don't know what.

I limp these hands if i've been through a table a least a few orbits and see very very few hands that are limped throughout without a raise. probably 95% of tables have and allow too much limping for it to be worth trying.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tournament today one of my close friends here lol decided to limp kk first 20 mins flop king jack 4 I had king jack.

Well they took me out when they reraised me all in the thought was no way they slow played ak with no raise.

So is there reasons to do it YES situations that will work at times YES

if you are playing with folks who know you well you got to mix up your games.

I would say if playing a field they dont know you and you have position not in front of button first to act the last thing you do with monsters is limp:)

Just it will work at times with those who know your plays. The good news is as long as you are tricking people you are doing things well.

When they figure you out or are you have to adjust your plays. get more creative experiment etc..

good luck

p.s. if I hit a few hands str8 and get fourth pocket in row I dont care what it is am usually going to limp cause no one will believe you hit again when you come back over them if the board is under:)

So some situations you have to use strategy. Think it out and hope your cards hold when they call you with that top pair:)

C

Chipsteal_jj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early position - raise 6-9 blinds
middle- 30 to 60% stack
button - shove or 30 to 60% stack if only 2,3 people
This would be pretty decent imo

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise is the best choice if even you have AJ but limping with AA something unnatural. Too many hands I lost when not rising with hands AK, AQ to 9-2, 10-3 on blinds and so on. So raising is absolutely necessary, limping is risky.