How to play a freeroll with thousands of players

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with that large of a field you need 2 things patience and luck....patience to play a solid game and luck to get you through the flips

B

boomeranged

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight in the beginning, a little lose in the middle and poker in the end.

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play extremely tight in the beginning. It's a donk/fish minefield, and these guys will be your most formidable opponents.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
tight aggressive strong premium hand grind

the tournament 's beginning has a lot of fish push the fish with premium hands AA KK QQ AK and the third stage onward play tight aggressive strong premium hand grind weak or marginal hand fold

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we are talking a random site freeroll that you didn't have to earn your way into. Take advantage of the loose play at the first. Go all in with any decent hand preflop. AQ + ... pocket pairs. Don't be scared to race. Players with A rag call allot pre-flop in these type of games.... there is always another freeroll around the corner if it doesn't work out. As the game progresses.. change your style accordingly.

I always have said, it's better to go out early then it is to play for hours and go out on the bubble. Build you chip stack early to give yourself the best chance in winning or go busto and onto the next game.

D

danvu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very loose and aggro in the first phases of the tourney. When the bubble approaches, I tighten up and play normal

Robert Krawczak

Robert Krawczak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning you should only play strong hands . Then, during the game is more professional players and then you can start to play like normal tournaments

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play like a donkey, like everybody who plays these tournaments.

Last edited:
shpilia

shpilia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad all welcome. I hold the position of the aggressor early in the tournament, often a bluff, but you have to feel a situation where you can do and when to enter the curve in the fence. Next is the outcome of the position and strength of arms.

M

Mantones

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be aggresive and if you hit top pair on the flop just make a huge raise,there will be many begginers and call with middle pair,just play like you play everytime but be more careful and be open-ranged to all-in situations :)

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing tight in the early stages is pointless IMHO. 2 months ago, when I started playing poker online, I was playing 10+ freerolls daily on pokerstars. I've cashed lots of times(Top 100) but never made the final table in one of those freerolls with 3k+ people.

I often see that the common advice given is to play only TT+ early on and to stay uber tight. Doing so is pointless IMHO. Since most freerolls are Turbo, on Pokerstars at least, playing tight in the early stages will lead to one of the following :
1)You will go card dead and will be forced to shove with a mediocre hand
2)You will get a premium hand and shove but by this time you've blinded down so low that a lot of donks who got lucky early on will call you.

If the tourney is a Turbo or faster, then you will be short stacked pretty quickly. You're unlikely to see more than 25 cards, at best, before you are under 10BB.

So my advice to you is to play loose early on and amass a chip lead. Shove or call with any Ace, any suited King, Any Broadway, Any Suited Connector 98+ e.t.c. And if you're in the BB with only 1 person who has shoved, then I think you should call with ATC.

You will bust out a lot if you follow this plan. But the thing is you haven't wasted much time and the next freeroll is right around the corner and the few times you don't bust, you'll be coasting with a massive chip stack. There is no feeling worse than playing TAG for 4+ hours and then busting out on the bubble of a freeroll.

You are NOT going to win any freeroll with 3k+ players with skill alone. You are going to need massive amounts of luck. As the old adage goes, 'if you can't beat them join them'. And you can't beat the donks in a freeroll. So your best shot is to join them and hope to get lucky.

C

chokollati

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first survive hand to hand take more defensive so va attitudes with strong pairs or with high ex connectors : AJ KA KQ and try to extract the pot maximum a good technique and pay just to attract more people in the pot plus much attention to strength of its hand post flop logical ... and a little luck will have to accompany you:jd4: .

D

Defol1ant

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
why 50% of players doing allin in early phase before flop?

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
freerolls

i used to play the good hands with 3b ,you have to be patient thats for sure ...at begging of game try to play aggresive

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If more than 3 go all in on the first hand, call and good luck. If you, win play normal.

rflbarreto

rflbarreto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I´ve built my bankroll from freerolls and the best recommendation is to be patient! You don´t have to win every hand and know when to fold is mandatory.

Best thing is to play a lot of then to be familiarized with different situations. The PS freerolls are really huge and first thing is: you must have time to be like 8hours in front of a computer.

rflbarreto

rflbarreto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why 50% of players doing allin in early phase before flop?

It´s natural to have these players. Their thinking is "I didn´t have to pay for it, so I wanna a very good start right from the beggining, otherwise I prefer to leave it and not playing for hours for a small pay"

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It´s natural to have these players. Their thinking is "I didn´t have to pay for it, so I wanna a very good start right from the beggining, otherwise I prefer to leave it and not playing for hours for a small pay"

Yeah! Everything or nothing in the first hands!

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Play tight in the beginning but also watch the players as you can often player looser against certain players. Once you have a stack then bully shorter stacks into folding especially just before the money bubble. Then try and tighten up after the bubble if you have a larger stack as people generally go maniac once they have cashed. Otherwise take a risk. Most important thing is to enjoy the game regardless of the outcome

Z

zooboss

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u NEED some luck at very beginning, eitherway ur stack will be eaten by blinds and ante if u wait monster hand for too long

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to deal with Allin freaks in a mobbed Tourney

What is the good strategy to deal with these freaks in a mobbed Tourney where number of participants are so high sometimes more than 10000.
Well I know patience is a key point there but these tournaments tend to last around 4-6 hours and sometimes you have good cards but the luck element may be with those freaks.
Those freaks act as as a Looter once their luck plays well and you feel like looted.

Kindly share your views with some strategy.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why are you calling them freaks?

You could:
-Join the fun and go all in and hope to get lucky. Not really recommended, but it could be fun.

-Just wait it out until you either get a hand worth trying to get lucky with or the shove fest has died down a bit.

-Don't play these games.

AAnonimowi

AAnonimowi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just play as you'll play normally