How to play a freeroll with thousands of players

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys. I guess the title says all. Untill now i won only 1 freerolltournament (the bankroll freeroll),but i had a lot of luck that time. Now i 'm not lucky anymore and i need some advices how should i play a freeroll in the early stage,to get to the final table. Should i play tight,go allin with only good cards,should i play loose at first and go allin with any cards because i don't lose anything?What is the best strategy to win a freeroll if you are not lucky? I need answers from people who won a few.
In early and middle stage of MTT play like fold or all in cuz thats the only way to double your chips. and if you bust out you didnt loose anything. in the late stage play carefull and smart and dnt loose your CHIPS!

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look for cheap flops and don't spew your chips away in the early rounds unless you are an obvious favorite. Don't get all in against massive stacks. Build a stack slow and steady and wait till the antes go up to get aggressive

92Hawaiian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Sorry, I'm a newbie. Could you tell what program and what tournaments are best to train?

sergey ptz

sergey ptz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early - tight
Mid and Late - agressive with good positions.

T

Twalkz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are so hard. Luck is involved heavily

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree...push/fold. If you can't get out of freerolls, you probably need to brush up on skills.

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I agree with tight at the beginning... You need to survive til the numbers reduce drastically and then hope you have a chip stack large enough to play some solid poker...

Triumphing over such a large field is a bit daunting but somebody has to win...

S

Silix00

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it worth going broke on the bubble if you have a good hand?

2easy4ninja

2easy4ninja

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2topic starter:
Man, allin with low suited connectors if everyone on the table allin or 4ppl+ more

Izissant

Izissant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don`t know when you should play tight or losen up in the mid \, but I can say exactly hat you should look to your opponents. Act depending on their state. You should understand when tight intuitively)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm at the beginning and middle of playing tight. In allin I go with pocket pairs since 10 10, when dignity smaller raise. Over the last a table trying to steal the Blyde.

2easy4ninja

2easy4ninja

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can do that everytime, play only pairs / etc , i think if you play so much more freerolls everytime, final tables says hello you, or ifmyou lose everytime, doesnt matter, you can plsy so tight , you take your regwardnon $ tourneyssn/ tables )
Im cznt play tight, no ofc i can, but not long time. My intuitikn everytime speak with me, and...
I know, pocket pairs >> PREMIUM habds like AK , but what u should do if for long time your 3rd card of pairs dont down on flop? Its maximu ?

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all you can do is play tight at the start and hope to last long enough with some chips to get to the better players where you have a decent game.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poo poo the freeroll all you like, but they are a great way to practice with no risk

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With thousands of players, you have to have the right mind set for playing. You must know that even playing great poker, that there will be MANY times that you were far ahead in a hand and still lost. If you were an average player, you would need to play 1000 times (with 1000 players at each game) to win once. If you are the best in the world and could be correct 80% of the hands you are in, you would still need to play A LOT of tournaments before you won one.

L

lauraPOKER

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THE TOP 5 TIPS FOR EARLY PHASE IN NINE-HANDED SINGLE TABLE TOURNAMENTS

HOW TO PLAY SMALL BLINDS

PLAY SUPER-TIGHT EARLY ON
DON'T bluff TOO MUCH
DON'T SLOW PLAY IF YOU CAN AVOID IT
BEWARE OF CHECK-RAISES
PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO OPPONENTS

Hope it helps many players like me... :)

But if you play good poker, how does variance affect the result?? In what % does it affect good play, even when you are cold and not tilited most of the time?

With thousands of players, you have to have the right mind set for playing. You must know that even playing great poker, that there will be MANY times that you were far ahead in a hand and still lost. If you were an average player, you would need to play 1000 times (with 1000 players at each game) to win once. If you are the best in the world and could be correct 80% of the hands you are in, you would still need to play A LOT of tournaments before you won one.

Last edited by a moderator:
ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At early position i would reccomend tight play. When you get to know your players you can be more loose and built a stack, and with a good stack you can get ITM. When you get itm play tight/aggressive and maybe you could even come to final table.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLAY SUPER-TIGHT EARLY ON
DON'T BLUFF TOO MUCH
DON'T SLOW PLAY IF YOU CAN AVOID IT
BEWARE OF CHECK-RAISES
PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO OPPONENTS

At early position i would reccomend tight play.

With thousands of players, you have to have the right mind set for playing. You must know that even playing great poker [...] you would still need to play A LOT of tournaments before you won one.

I agree with these. Simply, don't get carried away. Don't get caught up in the craziness. Don't let your ego take control. Be positionally aware, and look for opportunities to isolate, which is where paying close attention to opponents is important. Discern the tight players from the loose players, and take advantage of good spots. Also, pay attention to who may be sitting out or inactive. Those are free chips. Watch out for "insta-checks", where it's obvious that an opponent has the "check/fold" button on. Those are free chips. Little things like this can come in handy. Overall, you have to be bold enough to play solid, despite how crazy your opponents may be, and fold when you are beat. Remember that you can't win all of the chips all of the time. You're going to lose some. Make good decisions and lose gracefully, knowing that you will win some and that you are playing for free. On that note, you could also take a few of these free opportunities to mix up your game. Depending on where you play, there can be many freeroll opportunities in a day. Get crazy in one, nit it up in another, and find what works best for you and what works best in which situations. Experience is another factor that will help you. Add-ons help, as well. If you make a buck in one freeroll, and you're running well in another freeroll, and there is a $0.10 add-on that will put you within the top-whatever or give you a significantly better chance to cash, then buy the add-on. Lastly, wake up early. There are fewer players online early in the morning, which means smaller fields.

This is all from my own observations, so others will have had different experiences (surprise). Experience is a huge factor. Also, I haven't tried this, but if you are totally into studying, then you could watch tables and see how the winning players play. I see a few of the same players consistently building big stacks and running deep. There must be something to it.

A

adricarlan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls

freeroll tournament takes lots of time. play aggressively at begin

A

Angelo3

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
be tight in early stage of MTT. You must know your opponents. In mid stage loose up a bit and try to get more money in pot to double up. In late stage play
tight/aggressive.

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What a polarizing set of answers ? Some say tight at beginning, some say aggressive, some say get it all in...

With fields this high the Luck element of Poker is greater than the skill factor... At least in the beginning...

It seems there are differing views on how to transcend from the beginning to the later stages where winning is becoming more plausible

Personally... I wait for a strong hand in late position and shove it... especially against the Fishies....

L

lorel7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ya the more you play the better off we will be! I need to learn about betting though what to bet when you know you have the hand, but I want to string people along to take their chips