How do you play aggressive poker?

Jogo4

Jogo4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing aggressively helps, and sometimes gets in the way, you must know how to play in each part of the tournament, analyze your opponent.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
TAG is the preference, while observing players a lot in the early stages and alternating how i've been betting later in the game to set traps etc

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Me as a beginner, I don't recommend being aggressive . Poker must be played with caution.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everybody has their own style you have to figure out what one best suits your style of play

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Almost every beginner plays way too many hands. Aggressiveness without knowledge seldom works.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play aggressively, especially when I have a good hand and I like it.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends what is considered "aggressive" or not because there are many types of "aggressive." For example, shoving All-In every hand preflop is a known bad strategy - yet this could be called "aggressive" as they are risking a lot of chips each time. However, playing a slightly wider preflop range (LAG) or re-raising slightly more often than "standard" could also be considered "aggressive."

Incorporating some elements of aggression into your poker game seems necessary for long-term success, but this doesn't mean to incorporate every type of aggression and not in moderation based on the situation.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Build your knowledge of the game and continue to study more then you play when you start out.
Blind aggression without a complete understanding will probably not make you much profit.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before asking such questions you need to understand, what the different poker terms even mean:

* Aggressive mean, that you bet or raise more often, than you call.
* Passive mean, that you call more often, than you bet or raise.
* Folding or checking is neither passive or aggressive, its neutral.
* Loose mean, that you play many hands.
* Tight mean, that you play few hands.
* Cold mean, that you make decisions based on math and probabilities.
* Hot mean, that you make decisions based on emotions.

Playing aggressively is usually good, because you can win a big pot at showdown, when you have the best hand, and you can also win a smaller pot without showdown, if your opponents fold. If for instance you have a draw like 98 on Q76 and play it aggressively, you can win by improving to a straight or sometimes even a pair, but you can also win by making your opponent fold. 9 high is very unlikely to win at showdown, so unless you have reason to think, your opponent will never fold, you should usually bet or raise rather than check or call.

For new players its almost certainly better to play tight rather than loose, since having mostly strong starting hands put you in less difficult and complicated spots postflop. So the best style for beginners is TAG (tight and aggressive), and the best style for more experienced players is LAG (loose and aggressive). The worst style for anyone is to play "hot", so regardless if you go for a TAG or LAG style, you definitely want to play "cold". You dont want to be someone, who take every bad beat personal, berate other players, and so on and so forth.

P

PlayGamer78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Being aggressive doesn't mean throwing money away on bad hands and going all-in in hopes of getting a big river card. This is a surefire way to quickly reduce your stack size.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Exactly, being aggressive does not mean simply going there or betting very strongly with junk hands, being aggressive is linked to a strong way of betting but or re-raising at the right times according to the reading of the play. The intention is always to win the hand, so if you have rubbish no matter how hard you bet, it won't do you any good.

P

PlayGamer78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
n strong opening hands such as highs or a hand made up of A-K or A-Q, you should play more aggressively than you think. These letters are good; then, one with a full table, try to pressure players with weaker hands or force them to pay more to stay?

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you are new, you should try to play 'simple' and the most successful strategy is to be tight aggressive - play top starting hands and be aggressive preflop, after the flop though you shouldn't always Cbet and/or bluff 3 streets on missed boards just because you had a good hand preflop - this doesn't mean you should never bluff but most of the time you should let it go(fold) and move to the next hand and hope for better luck...

GLGL all at the tables BlessRNG

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The advantage of the aggressive style is that it gives the player an additional opportunity to win the pot, meaning that the player can take him not only at showdown on the best hand, but also when everyone folds (and often folds better hands). This advice is generally good starting point for explaining why an aggressive style is preferred over a passive one. However, this wording still lacks specific guidance on how to be aggressive, or when to do so.

P

PlayGamer78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you helped a lot

What's worse about a cautious game is that it marks you as a weaker player for the rest of the table?

We can bluff as much on the flop, a little less on the turn and as little as possible on the river. After all, which is the best.

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Being aggressive doesn't mean throwing money into the wrong hands and going all-in in the hope of getting a big card on the river. This is a safe way to quickly reduce your stack size.
at low limits, they are sometimes aggressive with nothing at all. And they make me throw good hands. And that's what makes me quite angry. I hope I can learn to play them without getting angry even though I know that's part of poker.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would like to be more aggressive, in a good position and with good cards, not being in these conditions, it would be throwing chips in the trash

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends on the tournament, the timing and the opponent, to be aggressive, it doesn't mean you play crazy, but there are times when it's time to tighten and adjust the game to each situation.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In the beginning when you are still new, you should avoid bluffing as much as possible because you have to get into the game first and you don't yet have such a real read on the other player at the table. It is also better to fold 1 times too many than to absolutely have to see the river. Some people can't let go even if they literally see the catastrophe coming.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being aggressive doesn't mean throwing money away on bad hands and going all-in in hopes of getting a big river card. This is a surefire way to quickly reduce your stack size.
Being wisely agressive is the proper way to play poker.

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Aggression can be both a virtue and a vice. Controlled, methodological aggression is the way forward.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is, although aggressive players will almost always have a better chance of winning as they have the initiative and will dominate

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Find the perfect balance between LAG / TAG and you will succeed

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me, being aggressive is first of all knowing how to choose the hands I'm going to play and measuring my momentum according to my position. As the cards arrive on the table, knowing when to fold is also important.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One should ask the question is there a difference between Aggressive play and assertive play.
Situational play is something to strive for.