How do You Play AA - This thread is a lie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course it works for you, its incredibly hard to lose money overall with AA, the idea is to maximise the amount you make

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tournaments it often dependent on the flavor/history of the opponents left to act and those that may have already entered the pot and obviously including every other nuance as with any other typical situation.

situational - same list - different question.

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing you should know about AA is if you can get all your chips in pre, you have played it well. After the flop, you have a pair. A big pair, for sure, but just a pair. At micro stakes it is hard, and often even perhaps wrong, to think of folding,. But you can lose a lot more than you can win if you think AA is always the nuts come post flop play

.For example, you 3 bet a TAG player and he calls. Hmmmm, why would a TAG call here?? Already you can put him on a number of hands, perhaps QQ-22, KQs, AKs, (not many combos left, but it is in his range), AQs?? AND depending on how he sees YOU, even wider.... Flop comes 3 clubs - you have none - or 8 9 T rb, you bet he calls, turn comes another club or J, you bet he shoves???

My point is, get as much action as you can pre, and often that will be none, and re evaluate post. A 9/7 who call your 3 bet pre and check/shoves the Q J 3 flop, you think he wont have a set here most of the time?

I have gotten way to specific w/o a specific situation, and AA is a great starting hand, but just food for thought.

BTW, OP, there is a lot of "dripping with sarcasm" ITT, so dont worry if some answers seem like they come from Jupiter.......

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically, you want to play AA in a 2-way or maybe 3-way pot so the that there aren't more opponents with the chance of drawing out on you. How you increase the probability of reducing the field accordingly while also building the pot is quite situation-dependent.

Most times, you should bet an amount that's normal in whatever the situation is when it's your turn to act. Too many people think they have to get tricky in order to get action. While this does lead to some bigger wins than playing normally would have produced, it also increases the chances of losing more through your own fault.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see so many people (at the micro's) limping or min raising with AA, even when the blinds are 15/30

its just crazy imo, people are gonna call with all sorts at these levels so get as much money in the pot as possible

sometimes early in a game, i might just shove, some random usually calls lol

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pretty much learned in the first month of playing poker that slow playing AA or KK can lead to disaster. Of course there are so many variables, but in general I pretty much always raise 3xbb preflop and push hard depending on the players--you usually don't want to see the the turn or river unless you hit the flop, in which case, slow play all you want so long as there's not much to threaten your trips.

R

redvulture61

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gosh - the answer is (once again) - it depends.

Your post is 100% on the money. There is no golden bullet exact sure fire way to play aces 100% of the time for maximum value a lot of it is situational.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gosh - the answer is (once again) - it depends.

Your post is 100% on the money. There is no golden bullet exact sure fire way to play aces 100% of the time for maximum value a lot of it is situational.
Yeah your right.Who know if you should raise pre then fire three barrels for value until played back at.Or limp in pre flop,check call flop,check/check turn then min bety for value on river.It's tough over a large sample i tell ya.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm loling at some of the advice in here, while at the same time getting some interesting ideas. Weird... Hard to tell the crap nuggets from the gold nuggets itt.

And I'm diggin' the thread name change too.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All i can say is i'm winning like 389bb/100 over limping with AA nuff said.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the cake is a lie.

tbh though with KA on this, some of the advice is just lol.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read most of the posts in this thread and find ALL the advice given here is correct.
"How so?" you may ask.
All the advice given here is coming from different types of players, so a loose player won't play AA the same way a tight player would.

You have know what type of player you are and take the advice from similar players.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read most of the posts in this thread and find ALL the advice given here is correct.me too
"How so?" you may ask.
All the advice given here is coming from different types of players, so a loose player won't play AA the same way a tight player would.

You have know what type of player you are and take the advice from similar players.
Just don't fold preflop,and win money by the river.Play like Hellmuth.Remember online players are super agg so just slow play these players and win easy game.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol I came here expecting to level the shit out of op only to discover it already had been done. GJ guys /golfclap

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol I came here expecting to level the shit out of op only to discover it already had been done. GJ guys /golfclap

I know, but isnt this how we - CC - stand out compared to many other (or one other) forums?

Yea, the sarcasm is hard to resist, but a new member? They dont know any better. "How do I play pocket pairs, how much can I raise with SC, how much can I expect to make as a pro by this time next week?" Makes you want to facepalm, BUT......... I, for one, remember when I thought maybe online poker was rigged, I could turn 100$ into 10,000$ in a month, if my cards are good I will win, bluffing at the micros will show a profit...lol

Yea, I am getting mellow in my old age, but lets remember that a newbie may be trying to become a member in the only way he knows how, and that is to ask the questions that are on his mind.

He often WONT be asking stuff like "with 80BB effective, in the SB with UTG min raise, 3 limpers and a 12x from a 35/29 BTN with a 13% button steal over 2k hands and AF of 8.9, with AA am I better raising or shoving?"

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know, but isnt this how we - CC - stand out compared to many other (or one other) forums?

Yea, the sarcasm is hard to resist, but a new member? They dont know any better. "How do I play pocket pairs, how much can I raise with SC, how much can I expect to make as a pro by this time next week?" Makes you want to facepalm, BUT......... I, for one, remember when I thought maybe online poker was rigged, I could turn 100$ into 10,000$ in a month, if my cards are good I will win, bluffing at the micros will show a profit...lol

Yea, I am getting mellow in my old age, but lets remember that a newbie may be trying to become a member in the only way he knows how, and that is to ask the questions that are on his mind.

He often WONT be asking stuff like "with 80BB effective, in the SB with UTG min raise, 3 limpers and a 12x from a 35/29 BTN with a 13% button steal over 2k hands and AF of 8.9, with AA am I better raising or shoving?"

thankyou fletch! need to stop with the hostility/sarcasm

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's true I guess but I still can't resist :D

ONaRoll

ONaRoll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How long is a piece of string ?

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Fuddy duddy....
I did give real insights with post #46 and 52.And no one read them,it would seem.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well said. In truth we probably all had very simple questions early in our poker lives. Truth is there is no way to answer this question. I honestly think with questions like this you are best sitting down and thinking what is the best play and why that is the best play. Alot of my knowledge has come from just trying to work out what is best and asking myself why it is best repeatedly. Poker is a simple game really. It is no good people just telling you the correct thing in certain circumstances because the chance of those circumstances being met again are very small. You need to understand why that is best in those circumstances and then byou can apply that knowledge to different circumstances.I see alot of people misuse the HH analysis and I think they gain very little from it. Some are really good and you can see both the asker and participants (as well as observers) are gaining alot from it.

Cliffs: Self taught understanding is best.

Edit: Before anyone points it out yes I know I was one of the first to jump in with a completely sarcastic reply but fletchdad does have a point and my compulsive typing recently hasn't left me in the best of light so on reflection I was probably wrong to do so.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fuddy duddy....
I did give real insights with post #46 and 52.And no one read them,it would seem.

Hmmm, did you take this personally (post 66) for some reason??? ( I dont pay attention to who is making info-less one liners and sarcastic content-less posts, just know they are there)I made a post of what I think about playing AA pre and postflop (post 54) - I guess you could call it insight,- IDK if anyone read it, I posted, and moved on. I guess you missed my point.....

And really... Fuddy duddy?????

Status
Not open for further replies.