How do you play AA on the bubble (micro stack?)

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing a micro stack Sit and Go, and most of the time when I get AA, I will go all-in or just 4B. But how do you play AA on the bubble? If I go all-in I could be the bubble boy or missplay my hand.

Silence and let the opponent think that his hand wins, let him pay, let him play the game, he, having AA to be well behind him to put first him, you can re-raise on the river, but be careful maybe he has 2 pairs or set ... :(

J

Joepie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your only goal is getting in to the money then sure fold Aces. If your intention is to get to the final table then NO!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think the op talks for sng , not mtt . I would raise all in of course almost always , but if two were already all in , like in the example in the pokerschoolonline page and I was the smallest stack , I guess , the suggestion of the page , I would have to fold in a sng and in a mtt (with the great payjumps) , or should I call on both , cause , come on , it's Aces :confused: ??

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually go all inall raise half of stack.....there is no other option

C

Comix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is silly. Of course there will be more favorable flops for AA than 66.

You also lose value by allowing opponents to see a flop and finding a reason to fold than if you were to get them to commit preflop.

We are talking about bubble play. I think you need to be a bit more cautious, to commit preflop there is risking your tournament life. The percentages are in your favor, but sometimes the better play is to win the tournament, not play the percentages.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play pocket aces the same way no matter my stack. I go all in. If you limp for just the BB many people may stay and odds are the guy with the 3 9 off will win. If they are going to catch they will have to take a chance to do it.:D:D

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello I agree with tigop as it is a strong hand and strong betting we get rid of the limpers that sometimes luck or a double pair or a ladder and damage our game. If you must play very aggressive this type of hands. I hope you serve luck on the tables.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are talking about bubble play. I think you need to be a bit more cautious, to commit preflop there is risking your tournament life. The percentages are in your favor, but sometimes the better play is to win the tournament, not play the percentages.
Very well aware that this is bubble play.

With the exception of a satellite MTT bubble or a weird ICM spot at FT, if you can't commit your MTT life with AA on the bubble, then why even play? Whether it's the early stages, mid stages, or bubble, getting your stack in with AA will always be a +EV play.

I'm not sure how you expect to win an MTT if you're folding AA preflop. Can you please elaborate on that?

By your logic, since you don't want to risk your MTT life with AA, that must be true for the post bubble right? I mean, just because the bubble popped doesn't mean you've got smooth sailing to 1st place. What if you get AA again. Do you fold preflop? Getting it does put your MTT life at risk... Still not sure how you expect to win an MTT without getting your stack in w/ really strong hands at key spots.

BTW, stop worrying about bubbling or min-cashing. Min-cashes isn't what builds your BR. Deep runs in MTTs do. You'll never make deep runs or final tables consistently if you fold AA preflop on the bubble because you're afraid of busting out.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play pocket aces the same way no matter my stack. I go all in. If you limp for just the BB many people may stay and odds are the guy with the 3 9 off will win. If they are going to catch they will have to take a chance to do it.:D:D
So, if you have a 150 BB stack, you jam?

That's pretty silly.

C

Comix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very well aware that this is bubble play.

With the exception of a satellite MTT bubble or a weird ICM spot at FT, if you can't commit your MTT life with AA on the bubble, then why even play? Whether it's the early stages, mid stages, or bubble, getting your stack in with AA will always be a +EV play.

I'm not sure how you expect to win an MTT if you're folding AA preflop. Can you please elaborate on that?

By your logic, since you don't want to risk your MTT life with AA, that must be true for the post bubble right? I mean, just because the bubble popped doesn't mean you've got smooth sailing to 1st place. What if you get AA again. Do you fold preflop? Getting it does put your MTT life at risk... Still not sure how you expect to win an MTT without getting your stack in w/ really strong hands at key spots.

BTW, stop worrying about bubbling or min-cashing. Min-cashes isn't what builds your BR. Deep runs in MTTs do. You'll never make deep runs or final tables consistently if you fold AA preflop on the bubble because you're afraid of busting out.

Each tournament has stages. Maybe you have been way more successful than I have at this. I have many times been the bubble boy, and things changed when I stopped playing high pocket pairs like they are the nuts....

You are right big deep runs in MTT are the goal....actually for me its a top 3 finish. Sometimes that does or might mean folding pocket AA's

M

matenq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My recommendation is when you get AA with a micro stack on the bubble, you should still go all-in and the reason I say that is because its the best hand in poker and at some point you have to take chances to win poker.

That's all okay. But in about 15% of all cases you lose with AA.
If this happens then you are annoyed in the bubble

A

atila1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
few times i lost AA cos of slow playing...so ill never do that again...push push from 4 BB to all in depend how many chips u have

T

Tomioto3095

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends the size of your stack. If you have a big stack, just raise like any other cards, if you are really small, it's preference for you to shove, and if you have a medium stack, analyse the players that are in front of you.

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to the podium or triple bet, I am looking at the flop, тьorn, river and in the blind I add, in a situation, inspect yourself

JohnnyC4ge

JohnnyC4ge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, you should play AA at the bubble aggressively at any case(maybe not at the wsop main event's bubble according to the situation) especially in micro limits.
Even if I'm 2nd in chips and the 1st goes all-in at this moment, this is such a beautiful spot to make you in perfect position to reach a semi final or a final tablethat I think it can't be wasted (instead of folding this to save micro money...)
Play FTW! ;)

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go all in and hope it works out.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't know how to play AA then F O L D lol:sleep::idea:

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should play for the win instead of playing for a min cash, with a hand like AA and only 4 big blinds you should be happy to go all-in :). There is a chance that you will bubble, but you are giving yourself the best odds to get a double up and potentially win the tournament. By folding you are basically giving up the chance to win the tournament in the hopes of min cashing, and even with folding you still have a chance to be the bubbleboy. Take the risk and go for the win, good luck!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There is no unambiguous answer to this question. Depends on your position, stack size of your opponents, and their aggressiveness - how often they are inclined to take your push from a short stack.

Aces are a good card, but they do not guarantee you 100% winnings. And the more opponents see the flop and the next streets, the less chance you have to win the hand.

Probably there is a situation where you should throw out even AA, if you are sure that you have enough chips in order to survive the bubble. If you have a short stack, you should carefully evaluate the dynamics of the tournament position on the bubble. After all, even winning and increasing your stack by 3 or 4 BB hardly improves your tournament position. ;)
This does not make you a winner or an at least finalist of the tournament. :D
While losing will simply deprive you of money. :(

In all other cases, you must of course play aces - this is the best hand in Hold'em.

Andrew, I just need to mention, I love your thoughtful answers. About poker you really know what to write.

I also think the same. It also depends on the tourney and how healthy your bankroll is. If you need the money, then better fold. If it is freeroll or good affordable game for you, then definitely push.

F

Fernando2904

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to go all in pre flop with aa, if the opponents are aggressive.