How do you handle the big stack at your table?

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

Today, I remembered why my break from poker was so long.

Big stacks seem to plague me at the poker table. "The Big Stack Sick Joke" is a real thing to me. Big stacks win with any garbage that they call - just because they can!!

What do you think about this hand? Big Stack Sick Joke

Did I do something wrong?

Check out some of my hands on my Zero Bankroll Builder Challenge .

:mad:Please stop me from taking another long break from poker :mad:.

J

Johnny9Nine

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I was taught if you are being bullied you take off a sock, fill it with coins from your piggy bank, and give the bully a lesson.

2x raise in the BB is a tap on the shoulder. A shove would've better gotten attention.

btw, I've right now got a big stack bully to my right. He 3x raised in the small blind and I shoved 10-6. He's given me more space since then. But he'll be back.

Since we all die at some point (figuratively, in this case), the only question is: how do you want to go out.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the hand with AQ on his limp, I would just push and then he would most likely fold, and on a raise he just calls according to pot odds with any hand and will sometimes catch his outs (which happened), well, in general, against players with big stacks need to be more aggressive preflop and try to isolate their weak hands when they limp a lot

yango

yango

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To avoid variance it is best to play aggressive to remove recreational players at the table and have a fight for the most optimal large chip stack.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was taught if you are being bullied you take off a sock, fill it with coins from your piggy bank, and give the bully a lesson.

2x raise in the BB is a tap on the shoulder. A shove would've better gotten attention.

btw, I've right now got a big stack bully to my right. He 3x raised in the small blind and I shoved 10-6. He's given me more space since then. But he'll be back.

Since we all die at some point (figuratively, in this case), the only question is: how do you want to go out.
I had no intention of going all in at the time and just wanted to see if I hit the flop and collect some dead chips along the way. Pitty calling 3 x BB bet with 34o looked appealing to the Big Stack Bully. The only time I would play those cards is on big bling and if everyone limps in and I get a free peek.

Yup, we have to bow out at some time and I suppose AQo is a fair enough way to go :(

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah you can often see big stacks playing any garbage hands in any situations and somehow they seem to always get blessed for those dumb plays :D I hope to afford to move away from micros some days so i wont have to watch that happening anymore

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I have a big stack at the table It would depend if you are playing cash game or tournament. In tournament I would play tight
and try to get the biggest payout. IN a cash game I would try to bully the game and get out when a good profit is made.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

Big stacks seem to plague me at the poker table. "The Big Stack Sick Joke" is a real thing to me. Big stacks win with any garbage that they call - just because they can!!

A little unlucky. But ask yourself which hands after the flop you decide to draw from. The big stack from the button limped into the game, it's hard to imagine that he has an ace or a pocket pair, which means something speculative. A pair of triplets on the flop didn't impress you and you got stuck with nothing more than a diamond and then a spade flush draw. There is no other explanation for your bets. I'll risk offering a check on all the streets. The big stack is lucky and now needs to take as many chips as possible from you, so it is unlikely that it will raise on the flop and turn so as not to squeeze you out of the game. On the turn, he is forced to bet something, and depending on the size of his bet, you could check the strength of your ace and, as a reward for your patience, continue the game.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

I've never been scared so it depends on alot. Near the bubble I play tight if it's early I'm waiting for an opportunity to double through. If he plays aggressive I with maybe take a chance or if he won it all playing tight then I'm gonna go at him a little

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To me the right way to play is being very aggressive, if the big stack wants to see a flop that will cost him a lot. After the flop is very hard to play since he can have anything, so focus pre-flop.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think I would increase my range of cards and combinations a bit :)

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just play with solid upper range to avoid critical spots)

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the hand with AQ on his limp, I would just push and then he would most likely fold, and on a raise he just calls according to pot odds with any hand and will sometimes catch his outs (which happened), well, in general, against players with big stacks need to be more aggressive preflop and try to isolate their weak hands when they limp a lot
I agree that with such a hand and stacks, it would be better to push preflop, and if you expand, then with a large sizing.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a saying for that:
good cards call chips, many chips call good cards.

so yes, he can open a 53o and flop a full house or a straight.

against this type of player the best is to 3-bet higher, if you have few chips (BB) the best and go all in

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey,
I am a little bit a good boy when I have a big stack. But I like to get involved in many hands too, I widen my open/calling/3betting... Range because I have a big stack, which is a very logical decision. But the effective stack has to be deep enough.
I wont be trying 65s vs 10bb stack!
Gl at the tables.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me the right way to play is being very aggressive, if the big stack wants to see a flop that will cost him a lot. After the flop is very hard to play since he can have anything, so focus pre-flop.

I agree that with such a hand and stacks, it would be better to push preflop, and if you expand, then with a large sizing.
Thanks for that tidbit.

I did feel like I was to blame since a standard 3 x BB was not strong enough for a bid stack. Will adjust my aggression accordingly in the future.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A little unlucky. But ask yourself which hands after the flop you decide to draw from. The big stack from the button limped into the game, it's hard to imagine that he has an ace or a pocket pair, which means something speculative. A pair of triplets on the flop didn't impress you and you got stuck with nothing more than a diamond and then a spade flush draw. There is no other explanation for your bets. I'll risk offering a check on all the streets. The big stack is lucky and now needs to take as many chips as possible from you, so it is unlikely that it will raise on the flop and turn so as not to squeeze you out of the game. On the turn, he is forced to bet something, and depending on the size of his bet, you could check the strength of your ace and, as a reward for your patience, continue the game.
Based on the flop, I should wait to see what the villain does. It was just hard to imagine a "3" in his hand - but come to think about it A3 is in his range although I was thinking he would probably raise and take a stab at stealing the blinds if he had those hole cards.

I will make it a point to study my opponents more actively.

Robot_Marv1n

Robot_Marv1n

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly I try to play aggressively against big stacks and keep an eye on their movmoner, if I see that I really push a lot with bad cards then I wait for a good hand in my hand and force it pay me a lot until I take most of his stack.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against the big stack who it keeps giving and beating me, then I'd rather wait for a big hand or flop where I can get it double up my stack, and whole do it until I'm not the big stack.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

To analyze your hand, we would need to know which tournament you were playing and at what stage.

But when he mine-raises on the turn, it would be a warning sign.

But his action was good, and depending on the period of the tournament and how often he plays like that, you wouldn't be able to escape anyway.

So it all depends, you may have overvalued it or not.^^

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Playing aggressively can often result in a stack loss. A tight game is much more reliable. It's always possible to double your stack. But the most important thing is to study your opponent and act on this basis.

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
With a large stack, I try to put pressure on my opponents. But accuracy won't hurt either.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Right now i actually have biggest stack of my table (aswell as whole tournament) so i am probably going to "handle" this in the only possible way - disaster.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

just play more carefully and everything is easy don't worry, you'll get back to poker as soon as possible

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands