How do you handle the big stack at your table?

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just play more carefully and everything is easy don't worry, you'll get back to poker as soon as possible
I do play carefully, probably too much!:unsure:

My task now is to find that healthy and timely dose of aggression that is needed to take my game to another level. It is important to master the art of collecting chips even when I have the worst hand or one that is not made. It is very troubling the number of times that my hand went into the much with the nagging feeling that I was ahead and villain was shooting off with bottom pair or some draw. :sick:

The hand in this thread should have been a shove and then if big stack still called and I lost the hand, it would not hurt as much.

Timing is so important in this game that it frightens me. Now and then I benefit from my fair share of luck and do steal the occasional hand but I need to get up the frequency. Too often I am not sitting on a large stack and get picked on by the bigger stacks who are more than happy to force a decision for all my chips. :mad:

The quest for balance is on!:cool:

N

naostarr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I hate those big stack bullies, well except when I am ...... lol
I am sure there are so many hand I really wanted to see but could not because of a big stack. There are also many times when I probably had the best hand but folded because a big stack wanted me to risk my tourney. I guess I needed some bigger gonads to see them, but I did not want to risk it.

Its all about risk, whether you are willing to pay the price of not having the nutts.
Some people are better at that than others. Others may say that this is the thrill of the make and what gets their adrenalin pumping. I guess its also what makes the game addictive. That may be why I am not addicted yet, I don't live for the thrill. Do you?

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its all about risk, whether you are willing to pay the price of not having the nutts.
Some people are better at that than others. Others may say that this is the thrill of the make and what gets their adrenalin pumping. I guess its also what makes the game addictive. That may be why I am not addicted yet, I don't live for the thrill. Do you?
Definitely not addicted but always wanted to make time to play. I was on a long break but decided to get back in the saddle because I needed a change. CardsChat is a great place to learn, play, have fun and make new friends. I will keep grinding here until my bankroll allows me to get in the arena.

Wish me luck!;)

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I win sometimes I lose , it's a mix n match I guess. Generally I use equity calculators to decide what is the right call

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

Today, I remembered why my break from poker was so long.

Big stacks seem to plague me at the poker table. "The Big Stack Sick Joke" is a real thing to me. Big stacks win with any garbage that they call - just because they can!!

What do you think about this hand? Big Stack Sick Joke

Did I do something wrong?

How do you handle the big stack at your table?

Check out some of my hands on my Zero Bankroll Builder Challenge .

:mad:Please stop me from taking another long break from poker :mad:.
I don't think you played that wrong.
First of all, if this hand you presented is in a freeroll, this type of play is very common, the villain if it's the big stack, usually he will play and call them all, guys love to see a flop.
Secondly, you have to analyze who you are playing against, if he is aggressive, if he likes to pay a lot, if he likes to bluff, whenever possible get information from the villain.
Depending on the above mentioned factors I will make my move. Could it be that if you had raised more strongly he would have folded, it's hard to say.
In his place I would just put the brakes on the tuner when he calls his C-bet, I would have checked, and made an assessment on the river if he bet.
But believe me, you tried to do the right thing and ended up losing, it doesn't mean you played wrong.(y)

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you played that wrong.
First of all, if this hand you presented is in a freeroll, this type of play is very common, the villain if it's the big stack, usually he will play and call them all, guys love to see a flop.
Secondly, you have to analyze who you are playing against, if he is aggressive, if he likes to pay a lot, if he likes to bluff, whenever possible get information from the villain.
Depending on the above mentioned factors I will make my move. Could it be that if you had raised more strongly he would have folded, it's hard to say.
In his place I would just put the brakes on the tuner when he calls his C-bet, I would have checked, and made an assessment on the river if he bet.
But believe me, you tried to do the right thing and ended up losing, it doesn't mean you played wrong.(y)
It was a freeroll and he was playing a lot of hands. The only thing that I could have done differently was a shove and I would have been saved had he decided to fold.

The funny thing about poker is that each decision is so critical to the final outcome. There are times that I shove on the turn when villain is on a draw and they fold but there are those who cannot bring themselves to avoid that slim chance of winning. Those are the ones that I have to pin early and avoid. Of course, if you have them covered then - all in baby and let the chips fall where they may.

Bid stack always has you covered though. There are times when they are a great double-up.

That's poker.

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
i wouldnt have played it any different preflop I don't see the point to raise trying to get him out of the hand, we got a premium hand and we want to maximise our wins , get the most of chips out of every situation, when 3 betting a whale like him most of the time a C bet on the flop would be enough to get the pot ( its better this way you get 4,5BB instead of shoving preflop and getting 2,5BB ) now if he calls our Cbet it means either he got a draw he is chasing or he did hit on the flop, since he did limp most likely he doesn't have an ace so it is either he hit a 3 or chasing the flush draw, what I would have done different is checking the turn and being passive check calling, so I don't lose all my stack if he turns out to have a 3 and limit the damage. by you being passive there is a chance he wont bet big trying to extract value for his hand without scaring you off. this is just my opinion that I wanted to share with you that might give you another view on things but I am far from being a poker expert not even close to a semi pro title ^^ just a fish in the ocean XD

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Big Stack
Sometimes it's the players style that gets them the big stack and sometimes it's the fact that they are running hotter then !@#$@!#!. If they are running hot then obviously they will hit all the time against you.
It's pretty simple, it's not rigged, it's simply running hotter than !@#$@!#!
Carefully determine the proper play at the proper time.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands