How do I stop being a Fish?

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep playing and one day you will post here a big prize you won.Good luck.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although they say that poker is a game of skill in the long run, and that certain moves are profitable, luck is a strong ally in poker. Playing poker is easy, difficult is to win 75% of all the hands you play. If I could give you some advice I would say that you should wait your turn to form great games to be able to bet, otherwise play cautiously and folde no matter if the board is not in your favor. Poker is a game of patience and a lot of skill, if we lose our heads, we will lose stacks.

Анна

Анна

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's true. Now I try to develop patience, train in tournaments.

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take some time off and study. Bad habits are very hard to break and if you're studying to try and break those habits but still playing at the same time, it is going to be tough to make changes.

S

Sarameda6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Payouts

Freeroll tournaments seem a lot harder to win. It's like hundreds of people and not a lot of spots! When I buy in to a .50 tourney there's way more places paid out. That's what I seem to run into.

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Анна;4805763 said:
...but how to get rid of old habits now??
You should make a Deposit of $ 1000 twice and lose everything twice. After that, life itself will teach you to play correctly. Game chips are unreal money.

A

arandom53

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a great first step. Next would be watch videos or streams, I recommend Lex Veldhuis, Tonkaaa P, or J Carver. If you really want to improve get couching or lessons. The other thing would be switch to cash games, then you can play shorter sessions so you aren't getting tired/bored.

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Анна;4805763 said:
How to stop being fish?

I've been playing poker for about ten years, only on play money. Not long ago I decided to try for money, every day I made a Deposit, but I could not win anything. Although I considered myself a Pro, it turns out I do not know how to play. I play as a fish, but how to get rid of old habits now??

There are different ways to play on different players. Sure, if you master it, you will start to win

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a great first step. Next would be watch videos or streams, I recommend Lex Veldhuis, Tonkaaa P, or J Carver. If you really want to improve get couching or lessons. The other thing would be switch to cash games, then you can play shorter sessions so you aren't getting tired/bored.
Nothing new or clever in these streams you will not find. Why? I answer: with any of your major victory, you will talk about how you think. This is done by all the winners of the games. Knowledge of the basics and FREQUENT play in the cash teach the right action. The rest-advertising for accumulation of subscribers.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basic Converting from Play money to Freerolls

Play money is like playing craps. If you know the rules you might be able to come out on top sometimes, but there's no such thing as a professional craps player, just really lucky craps players.
If you play play money long enough and consider yourself good at it then you've taught yourself a LOT of bad practices. You probably think that if you go all-in people will either auto-fold or call with crap hoping to get lucky. You probably have a list of "Premium hands" and sit around waiting for those hands and only those hands and praying they hold up. And when you catch a piece of the board you most likely shove or bet huge hoping to push people out of the hand.
If that sounds like you, you need to convert those skills to freeroll play first. Don't go straight to real money, play freerolls and get decent at those. Here's some tips that may help:

1. Don't go all-in preflop. Yes, later in your career you will learn to go all-in under certain circumstances, but if you're used to play money you REALLY need to learn how to win without risking all your chips.
  2. When you hit those "Premium Hands" bet up to 3-5 BBs. No more than that preflop.
  3. When you hit the flop or after the flop, bet based on the size of the pot, 1/2 to 1x the size of the pot. If the pot is 1000 and you hit a good hand you want to bet 500-1000. If the pot is 25000 and you hit a good hand, you want to be 12500-25000.
Those are 3 basic things to convert play money skills to freeroll skills. They cover maybe 5-10% of the skills you need to develop before playing for real money. You need to read lots and watch lots of videos before you move up. But 90% of what you learned playing play money poker is not going to help you at the freeroll level, never mind the real money level.

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play money is like playing craps. If you know the rules you might be able to come out on top sometimes, but there's no such thing as a professional craps player, just really lucky craps players.
If you play play money long enough and consider yourself good at it then you've taught yourself a LOT of bad practices. You probably think that if you go all-in people will either auto-fold or call with crap hoping to get lucky. You probably have a list of "Premium Hands" and sit around waiting for those hands and only those hands and praying they hold up. And when you catch a piece of the board you most likely shove or bet huge hoping to push people out of the hand.
If that sounds like you, you need to convert those skills to freeroll play first. Don't go straight to real money, play freerolls and get decent at those. Here's some tips that may help:
  1. Don't go all-in preflop. Yes, later in your career you will learn to go all-in under certain circumstances, but if you're used to play money you REALLY need to learn how to win without risking all your chips.
  2. When you hit those "Premium Hands" bet up to 3-5 BBs. No more than that preflop.
  3. When you hit the flop or after the flop, bet based on the size of the pot, 1/2 to 1x the size of the pot. If the pot is 1000 and you hit a good hand you want to bet 500-1000. If the pot is 25000 and you hit a good hand, you want to be 12500-25000.
Those are 3 basic things to convert play money skills to freeroll skills. They cover maybe 5-10% of the skills you need to develop before playing for real money. You need to read lots and watch lots of videos before you move up. But 90% of what you learned playing play money poker is not going to help you at the freeroll level, never mind the real money level.

There are plenty of decent players at the top of just about every free chip site and a couple of really good ones. These players are more than good enough for low to mid limits and the few that stand out could probably crush them pretty hard. You obviously haven't been to the top of any free chip games with any decent amount of players in the pool. That is one of the best places to hone your high stakes cash game skills as it wont cost you a million dollars to call and see if your read is correct. ;) You don't get to the top of 100,000+ players no matter what the stakes are, unless you are a good player. The low limit cash games have plenty of players that don't know what they are doing and would be beat down by the mid limit play chip players likely. Also if you play to learn you will learn at any stakes, you may not learn every skill but you will be solid at the ones that you can learn there. It is actually quite beneficial to get high then grind at the bottom and mid lvls again, playing there with a perspective you haven't had before.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I like your attitude Anna. At least you realize, that you are weak player. Most of members here at CC are also fish just like you, if not worse, but try to tell them that. They will get offended and start crying. Unlike them you are on the right track to improve your game.

T

Tunnelrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish is a relative term, my friend told me once. You can consider yourself a pro-player in the current stakes you're playing (in this case playmoney) but you become a fish as soon as you sit on a table with players who are far more skilled, experienced and better than you.
As an example, if you are at a final table with Daniel Negreanu, Erik Seidel, Antonio Esfandiari, Fedor Holz and Phil Ivey, trust me, you are the fish.

Last edited:
Анна

Анна

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's with the little green book?

Анна

Анна

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to play from the position and on the hand chart. In tournaments it helps me a lot, but in cash it is madhouse. I sometimes think that there are not adequate ,overly aggressive players. Always ditching with the worst cards. And they win. Maybe there are bots?

Gyry

Gyry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you constantly lose, you need to change something. May change strategy or perhaps have more patience. First of all, you need to understand what your mistake is and try not to repeat it ever. Well, reading a few books about poker will be useful. In any case, you need to change something.

Анна

Анна

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played for fun,poker for money, it's really a different game. I understand that now. I will try to grow and develop in this direction. In principle, I am easily trained, every Council, I take note,to learn what I like easily. It is difficult to learn to get rid of old habits. Thank you all for your good advice and help)

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Well for example, you can get into FRC and play freerolls. If you really want to play better poker, then treat them as serious tournaments, don't make "whatever" moves, consider carefully your hands and play at the best of your abilities. Don't fall into the way of thinking that "it's just a freeroll, I'm gonna gamble and maybe win something and if not, doesn't matter because it didn't cost me anything". A lot of players play like that for years, they even win from time to time, but it doesn't mean they got better as poker players.
And here you can for free try and experiment with different styles and moves, maybe even find your own game that you understand and can play. Also you will get an opportunity to play against different players, and therefore if you pay attention, you will learn what to do and what not to do against players with different styles and different levels.

Of course, you can do the same thing in micro stakes, if that will discipline you better, but it will cost you several deposits. And then a few more :).

But this all matters only if you for real want to learn. If you find it to be too boring to play thoughtfully for little reward and small prizes, then it's ok! It's fine to play for fun, but you shouldn't get your hopes up about consistently winning money from poker.

Анна

Анна

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not even know that you can play for money online, and even more about freerolls)

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Practice is the key to success.You need to learn your outs the dynamic of your cards.Videos on youtube may help you (if you see pros hands and how the can play ).I think with practise and study you can be better.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Анна;4805763 said:
How to stop being fish?

You have already taken the first right step, to reqonize your game need to
be optimized and you leaks should be shut down :D
Playing playmoney could make you way to loose.

You got to go back to basic and create a play style where you feel comfortable.
Make rules for your own game, when not to follow the sharks into to deep water so to speak.

Do you like to play nitty or loose, find out what hand ranges that cost you money and what
ranges earn you money. stop playing the ones that cost your money :laugh:

Also you gotta find out where you do best, SNG, MTT or CASH. and what type of
poker that suits you most. Is it NO LIMIT HOLDEM or could it be that you would
do alot better at OMAHA and so on.

Then watch a bunch og videos on youtube, and ask more questions here.
Educate yourself ;)

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Isn't it good to play like a fish when you don't need the money.

First of all, you don't know what to spend the money on. So if you win you would just blow it on something or someone that GOD doesn't want you to bless. See you fish to see if you should bless them.

Second of all, if you figure in the probabilities of hitting on river. You are getting them to bet (fishing causes them to bet) without much risk.

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more I play poker, the more I realize that I don’t know much more. Started with free courses for beginners. They are on almost every poker forum here as well. When the basics of understanding the game itself are at the proper level, then the study of many subtleties and nuances begins. There are free online trainings, they are very good at developing an understanding of the game. You can also watch streaming and analyzing games with a coach. I often watch online broadcasts of major poker events with comments and explanations. It also helps to improve the understanding of the game. And of course you should not invest money if you do not know the basic strategy and do not have enough experience in the game. Many poker rooms offer a good opportunity to build a bankroll from scratch playing various freerolls, if you can't win in a free tournament, it’s even more difficult for money, because people play for profit and they definitely have strategies and tools for a good game.:stupido::deal::pcguru::banghead::playingba