Chips
Easy. Just don't give a * and move on.

bianconi_10

bianconi_10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have all had them and we have all heard about them from other players. How you deal with bad beats has a lot to do with how successful you can be playing poker.

Players who let their emotions get the better of them make big mistakes. We have a guide with some pretty good tips in it:

Dealing with Bad Beats

Do you have other tips for players on how to handle bad beats?

Here is mine:

Focus on the hands that you play well - regardless of whether you win them or not. Make a note of the hands that you are unsure of or know you played poorly and review them later.

The last thing you need to focus on is losing a hand because of a bad beat. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from that. :)

Bad Beat that hurts is the one that you build the whole tournament playing the fine and suddenly in the hand that will put you in a FT you are short and fall to a hand after it has nothing to do with anything. With this I still can not cope.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is not easy but the faster you learn to manage your emotions after a bad time, the faster you will become a profitable player.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
Bad beats are part and parcel of poker.

You cant always be in a win win position.

I see a lot of players get bad beat and in the very bext hand push all in, thats the reaction to the bad beat and thats wrong.

Even if you get bad beat, if you continue with playing your usual poker game I am sure you can catch back.

Its a mind thing, but let it go.....

If you hold on to it, it surely spoils your game.

Let it go and you are back to the game.:)

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Hmmm, like samurai - with seven breaths - for them it's about decisions, but I just let it go and focus on the next hands... :)

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you see dark clouds in the sky, you can anticipate a rain. But then another element called wind enter the scene and changed the expected event into unexpected. It drives away clouds somewhere else and you are deprived of rain.
Poker is something like that. Expected result turns into unexpected. And that is what we call bad beat.
Once i asked someone, how to deal with bad beat? He gave me a very simple and logical answer "Be prepared for the bad beat". We can't avoid bad beats but if we are prepared for this unexpected then we can minimize our losses.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good article, I think we all have and suffer bad beats, and each one will deal with them in a different way.
I was one of the people that when I had a bad beat, I got angry, screamed and hit my desk hard:motz::flute:, but I have evolved a bit since those times:icon_fara and now I take the bad beat with more calm, I take a breath, I make a note of the opponent explaining the hand with I lost .
Sometimes when the bad beat seem incredible to me:questionm then just laught like a crazy :laugh::hahaha::rofl::bird: it's a way to take away my anger.
I leave the tournament for a few minutes and take a walk or do something different that can disconnect my head from that bad moment, and then continue in the same tournament or another, without entering the tilt. :)

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the good article. After many months of defeat, I developed my plan for playing poker tournaments on a temporary basis, it helps me to control my emotions and mind. There are rare short-term failures (no more than a minute), but this is due to the fact that I have not rested yet. We need to rest from the game every half year for two weeks, and then the poker pleasure will reappear in the place with them and win

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Poker just like life is not always fair, sometimes you just cannot control things. Getting angry, crying, complaining and working yourself into a frenzy does not change the fact that you lost the hand. You got to take this negative and turn it into a positive by coming out stronger next time around. The pain is what drives and motivates me to be better next time.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Become a masochist and learn to enjoy the pain.
Variance is something you have to live with so learn to love it

vovqa93

vovqa93

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad Beats

The most important things you need, to handle bad beats:
1) Strict bankroll-management! The more you have behind, the less bad beats affect you! When you play with strict bankroll management, you play your A-game and are not afraid to make moves when they are needed. So you play no money-scared = you play well and aggresive!
2) Understunding of poker theory/variance/math.

Keep this 2 rules, and you will enjoy poker more!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my point of view the control of emotions is of vital importance when playing poker.
Because nerve impulses, which can arise as a result of a board unfriendly to me, could lead me to lose all my money. Which would be a problem, which of course I prefer to reduce to the maximum, the possibility of this happening.
Greetings.

LemonAmnezia

LemonAmnezia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats allways happen try to steel pots and raise your edge then you will laugh over bad beats:)

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can recommend Jared Tendler's book The Mental Game of Poker. It's not great but good, useful.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Absolutely have to shake it off... Every time I tilt and go for revenge, I regret it lol
It really does feel so good to get them back though ;)

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is a topic that a lot of poker players have experienced the slump and go into despair or fustracion, when we lose a hand or are close to the charges, my best advice to lead with this is, stop playing relax and think about the mistakes you have made in a tournament, because playing with frustration can leave us on the street.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

CallMeAnSee

CallMeAnSee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me getting my bankroll management in order really helps for the inevitable! i dont get a lot of money so my bankrolls not massive as i take out little amounts here an there to. but if your only ever playing games with some reasonable amount of bankroll management(dont bet the house) going on, the bad beats shouldn't feel as bad! an im sure we all get annoyed from time to time! i do several times a day sometimes! i stop for how ever long needed an start again fresh! sometimes 10 mins although if its a really bad beat might have week off haha :)

Last edited:
57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good article Debi. One tip I try after suffering a beat is to splash some cold water on my face. It helps me regain my focus on the game.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We have all had them and we have all heard about them from other players. How you deal with bad beats has a lot to do with how successful you can be playing poker.

Players who let their emotions get the better of them make big mistakes. We have a guide with some pretty good tips in it:

Dealing with Bad Beats

Do you have other tips for players on how to handle bad beats?

Here is mine:

Focus on the hands that you play well - regardless of whether you win them or not. Make a note of the hands that you are unsure of or know you played poorly and review them later.

The last thing you need to focus on is losing a hand because of a bad beat. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from that. :)

I focus on looking forward - but really two things after a bad beat:

What happened? Did my TT get called all-in by 77 preflop and they river a 7 to beat me? Ugly but nothing I really could do about that....unless I tried to keep the pot small and then bet them off their hand on the flop.

Or, did they really play like a poker idiot and somehow got there to beat me? And that's ok....because now I'm focused on getting into the next possible hand with that opponent. Often I put limit players in this category if they are playing NL with me.

Then the other thing I'm focused on is reassessing my (and my opponent's) chip stack pecking order at the table. Did that hand significantly cut into my stack? Was my opponent a short stack and is now a medium stack? Who is now the short stack at the table?

I always try to think "Onward and Upward".

Good luck !

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One problem that I watched at my begin in poker, 5 years have went by, I have improved a lot about mindset, but nowadays a lot of times I am suprised by a raised emotion and mental fatigue. That is my next step on mindset.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bad beats are part of the game! ... did you have one? okay! leave it behind continue your game.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From Nuts to Bust
A Bad Beat or Not?

Some hands really make you question yourself.

On this hand, I flopped a nut straight. I was mindful to be cautious since there were two spades on the table and of course there is the dreaded flopped set. So my intention was to see the rest of the cards and build up the pot.

See the fireworks here.

Now check out the poker odds calculator!

I am eager to hear your feedback. Is playing poker worth it?

Of course I just shake it off - today was his day and I will win more of those in the long run, but there beats sure are memorable!

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You learn to move on quickly playing for many years. It is a part of the game, need to get it under control , so it does through the rest of the game off. You can always bounce back from hands that didn't hold up. I find myself relaxed even if I lose hands, I think I should win. Any 2 cards can win at any time , all whatever cards come on board.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This subject is very complex and most players do not understand the reality of poker, between math (bad beats / variance and downsizing).

We need to understand what factors we use to avoid getting into tilt states, and one of them is bad beats.
We can not be influenced by emotions or actions that we can not control, we need to intellectually improve ourselves so that we do not get stressed out in this kind of situation and so we do not lose money by burning rampant bets ..

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good recipe: lemon tea with ice, a slice of cheesecake, a sedative and a good night's sleep.

I’m not a lemon tea guy. How about lemon Bacardi, cheesecake (We got Fresgo’s here), does a muscle relaxer count as a sedative?

Good night sleep is guaranteed