bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
the article describes exactly what happens in the head after the bad bit. exactly the same thoughts. it seems the whole world is against you. a short break saves the day. I do so even after a good game to remove unnecessary euphoria and avoid mistakes in the future. and it really works. ( though not always.)

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article. First time since a long time i was reading something longer than a menu at restaurant :D There is almost everything that i expierience after bad bet. I hope this help me to deal with it more with calmnes not anger :)

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning to control your emotions ,sucking it up after a bad beat will only make yourself a stronger player,
Being able to play on with a smaller stack after losing and building it up again is the one thing that will diminish all the frustrations you may have had after that bad beat
Over time learning to accomplish this will no longer make get you frustrated or tilting in some cases

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. TY for thу article
2. I think the only real way to deal with it practice. Just grind. I can not remebr the pro who said something similar I think it was Koon, that a lot of hihrollers ssem like they are not interested after winning some major tournament, when in reality it's needed emotional detachment from the outcome and practice. Frist 20 AA<AQo seem like torture but after 2K of them it gets easier =) I think it's the proper way to approach this. You can not force yourself to not get angry, but you can get used to it after time.

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My hardest obstacle is always staying centered and not going on tilt. I think tilting is the number one way good players can potentially lose a ton of money if not properly disciplined. Sometimes it’s hard...those days it’s best to walk away and play another day.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can say one thing about tilting: Don't express your tilting by destroying your own mouse controller, it can be really costly especially if it was a quality one and you had it for over 5 years :D

The final stage is acceptance. This occurs after you have lost all your chips. You must convince yourself that you played well and that the other players were just luckier than you. This stage is crucial. If you can't get to this stage, you will find yourself trapped in a never-ending cycle of bad beats and blow-ups.
Not really sure about this one tho. I mean, many players really contribute to their own bad beats..
As I am writing this, a player limped AA from CO, then made min bets all streets and even made a min bet when river was an A with no completed draws.
Let's say that A didn't get on the river, and he got beat by BB position who had 72 and just checked his option pre-flop. Losing with AA to 72 is bad beat but sort of self-induced in this particular case.

So before someone starts convincing themselves that they played a hand good but just got unlucky, they really, REALLY need to think about whether they've actually played that hand well or not...

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Five stages of taking BAD BEATS is interesting, and matched the date with the theory of 5 stages of grief, perhaps no coincidence at all))) My way of dealing or taking BAD BEATS is a punching bag, sooner sought and used different antistress things, but nothing helps like to let off steam to me personally)))

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad Beats

Hello! Just several days ago, I was playing a ring. Had a pair of aces, went all-in. One person called, wham off-suited Jack straight. Several hands later (only like three or four), I landed a pair of queens. Certainly my luck will be better this time. Went all-in to try and MU. Wham, another off-suited straight. Lost the whole stack.So getting to the final stage of "losertown" was easy and without emotional ties...I think, just rotten luck. I have had it both ways as the article points out. Another important point that the article points out is trying to figure what went wrong and keep from having a repeat. That's extremely hard to accomplish, but not impossible. So bottom line, suck it up...it's poker.
:bandit:

Gader

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grea great Article I have a lot of fun cause I remember every time I got tilt when I had multiple bad beats or 2 runner runners I have learn lot with this althoug I've understand this in the last month is still frustrating when it happens so I will definetly put this tips and on practice after all ... It is Poker and will keep happening that's the beauty of the game

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First af all I wan`t to thank you for this qualitative article. To my mind Bad Beats are integral components of the poker game. So everyday, when you play poker (excluding short sessions) you will particulary meet this unpleasant phenomenon and the best way is to deal with bad beats. The best advise for me in your article is to Catch Your Breath. I understand this part of self-control but I never do it. In future I will try to use this method in my game.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Great article!
I basically learned to deal with these situations, I already know that is part of the game and in the long run my play is the correct mathematically. So that does not influence my game anymore. Of course, no one likes Bad Beats, but we have to know that this is an appendix of the game.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Debi, very good article, the truth is a very interesting topic, and costs out of those bad beats, because sometimes it can cost you lose a tournament or enough money. I struggle out of the tilt but eventually I'm trying to get over it, I agree with the item, catch your breath, it is very important to me is key to ending tilt the moment, in that memento it is when you remember there is variance in the game and I can lose that kind of hands. regards

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't raise an eyebrow. Technically they can use you just some of the money or all of the money in worst case scenario and that is that.Do not let go to your emotions!Never!Emotions are just chemicals that flows in your body.And also never swear in Serbian language.We are cursed land sleazebags are everywhere you can be easily reported.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I deal with them and take them in as learning if i let say let them get there in the hand to give me a badbeat to maybe avoid it if i can?

Or when we go all-in pre-flop and i get a badbeat before i start raging.. i'll just think .. couple of days ago i send someone packing with a badbeat aswell... you give them and you get them nothing you can do about it its part of the game and it always will be.

Awesome article!

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Build default ranges to resort to when you’re running bad. Don’t play outside of your bankroll and it’s ok to walk away until you clear your thoughts

allinraw

allinraw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I basically forget about it and wait for anotha hand..

jingler

jingler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to think that Bad Beats was haunting only me and didn’t notice when I’ve made Bad Beats to my opponent. We rejoice when we win and get upset from losses. So it will always be impossible to win all hands. Therefore, the most important thing in poker is controlling your emotions. This article perfectly describes how to cope with negative emotions, I have nothing to add. Good luck to everyone at the table.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more games I have going the less a bad beat seems to bother me, because I have to hurry and move on to the next decision.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if a player cannot somehow deal with bad beats, he simply has nothing to do in poker. Bad beats are inevitable in poker (this doesn’t please anyone, but such is the game).

Be like a cat - always stand on all four paws!

1325f09dcf.jpg

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
very good article Debi! and nice advices I have to read like every week to bad beats don't afect my game I don't know but in my case is always hard to forget them but reading about this and playing calms I always get my best result just yesterday I lost KK vs 53s (all in preflop cash games vs fish with 30BB) and I was like that's ok it happens and I kept playing and not caring about when I win a big pot with aces or lost it as long as I played the hand well I noticed that after bad beats I use to pay more money chasing draws when and trying to make hero calls when the obvios play was fold... thanks for this article not sure if is the structure of it or that I'm finally accepting variance hehehe...

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id worry more if im the one dishing out the bad beat as it means i got the money in behind and possibly made a mistake.

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just try to move on, you cant chang past... If you are really tilted go for a walk and take some fresh air^^

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad Beats eat into your head. They do not win, you need to continue to play more restrained

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not sure what advice to give for dealing with bad beats. But, I do watch for players who take a bad beat, and then they go to tilt mode. If I have good cards at that moment, I will attack them.

GustavoMaruno

GustavoMaruno

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tilting afteri had a bad beat was very common to me in my starter days.
I could not keep myself calm and played very bad after. Now, i understand that bad beats will happen often and i try to stay with the "a chip and a chair" mentatility after i lose a big pot on a bad beat.