How to deal with anger after a bad beat?😡😡

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All poker players hate losing to a bad beat or just losing in general. However if a bad beat upsets you for more than a few seconds, then that is a problem and something, you need to work on. Many people recommend Jared Tendler "The mental game of poker" as the bible on tilt. Other than that some general tips and ideas include:

1) Be properly bankrolled for the games, you play. Not going to make this a post about bankroll management, but use the forum search function.

2) Learn to multitable and put in volume. If a typical session contain 5-10 tournaments, busting from one due to a "bad beat" is much less painfull.

3) Study variance using the free calculators on Pokerdope.com. Most people tend to underestimate the magnitude of variance in poker, and therefore they get upset about even a small "downswing", which is totally normal.

4) Set a daily stop-loss, especially if you play cash games. Few people are able to still deliver their best, if they get hit by the deck again and again in a short amount of time.

I will try it. Thnx for the suggestion

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Guys, can you give me some advice how to deal with anger and frustration after loosing a hand that you were 100% sure that you would've won?

This is poker. If you can't get comfortable with that, perhaps this game is not for you...:confused:

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow I don't even know what to tell you the other day I had 18$ in my account and I made a four of jacks in the cash game and I lost my face with a quad I lost to the royal flush Wow I ended up with the bank oooooo unfair to a poor bastard like me and guess what i did i turned off all the power equipment and i was very angry and i spent 3 days without playing poker and then the anger passed and i never bet high value in cash game.
But tilted with Bad Beats everyone gets angry or irate but after about 3 days we forget and Thank God.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow I don't even know what to tell you the other day I had 18$ in my account and I made a four of jacks in the cash game and I lost my face with a quad I lost to the royal flush Wow I ended up with the bank oooooo unfair to a poor bastard like me and guess what i did i turned off all the power equipment and i was very angry and i spent 3 days without playing poker and then the anger passed and i never bet high value in cash game.
But tilted with Bad Beats everyone gets angry or irate but after about 3 days we forget and Thank God.

I undertand you very well. It seems like at the moment that you believe you are the strongest hand the universe conspire agaist you. lol When you play very tight because you don't have money it seems like you run also out of luck 😂😂
Good luck next time 😀

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Find a way to channel anger and find a way you can cool off.
Stress ball, take a walk, take a break, laugh at the situation or find something funny online to laugh at. If playing online and no one in the physical room with you some expletive and venting helps.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a rest.

Anyway, told myself it's a game.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Smile and continue the game in a good mood)))Angry there is no point because you yourself are to blame for the fact that you sat down to play this game

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Play more tables at the same time.
You'll have enough on your mind that you cannot get bogged down with single hands.
Playing more, period, really should take care of this. If it doesn't...if you can't just roll with the punches and accept that variance hits everyone...well, then it's time to find another hobby. You don't need a hobby that pisses you off. Life is too short!

That said -- you should only be 100% sure you're gonna win when you have the nuts. You might chop, but you never lose when you're 100% sure.
...so you might want to recalibrate your Certainty Meter. ;)

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play more tables at the same time.
You'll have enough on your mind that you cannot get bogged down with single hands.
Playing more, period, really should take care of this. If it doesn't...if you can't just roll with the punches and accept that variance hits everyone...well, then it's time to find another hobby. You don't need a hobby that pisses you off. Life is too short!

That said -- you should only be 100% sure you're gonna win when you have the nuts. You might chop, but you never lose when you're 100% sure.
...so you might want to recalibrate your Certainty Meter. ;)

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

I will try this to play to three or four tables at the same time. Thnx for the idea:)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just because your hand has a high probability to win doesn't mean it's guaranteed to. Unless you have the absolute nuts by the river, your opponent will always have some equity against you and if they have equity, they have a chance to beat you.

With that said, there is no such thing as a bad beat. It doesn't matter how much of a favorite you are in the hand. You could have your opponent drawing to 1 single card with only a 2% to beat you and even if they catch, it's not a bad beat.

Why? Perspective. Poker isn't a game of individual hands and results. Poker is all about the long term results and if you're making the +ev decisions majority of the time. Instead of looking at it as losing 2% of the time, think about how you're winning 98% of the time instead. That's where your profit comes from. Of course, you aren't going to run into a lot of situations where you're getting it in as 98% favorite and getting called but the same applies to situations where you're a 60/40 or a 70/30 favorite and you get it in. You're still winning majority of the time in the long term.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My question is what do you consider a bad beat? If A A gets busted I don't consider that a bad beat, in my book that's just poker. When you have a full house such as 10's full of kings and someone else catches A's full of kings that I consider a bad beat.

The best way to deal with the anger after a bad beat is don't get angry for now you have to win the chips back that you just lost in the bad beat (that's if you are still in the game).

Just remember you are playing a game that "any two cards can win!!!!!". Unless you have a royal straight flush there is no certainty you have the best hand and that is why it's called gambling!!:D:D

Last edited:
Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys, can you give me some advice how to deal with anger and frustration after loosing a hand that you were 100% sure that you would've won?

First of all, I never sure, always wishing just don't take it down this time....

depends on you, and your personality. example, swear or break something.... or do nothing if you can stand it...

this one always pop up in my mind when someone mention this. (How both movies starting scene with great Metallica songs....)

Tallahassee says sometimes you must destroy something to keep your mind together in our world. Enjoy the little things!!! (I didn't find the video about breaking the nice van by a baseball bat...):

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First thing I do is ....

SWEAR out loud!!!

Not sure why I do that .... must be a fight or fright psycology thing...

Please tell me Tammi and I were made for another : )

Thank you for listening!

..bluff..

:)

T

tladake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you do the bad bet, its is because of one of two reason: one reason is that, you had a bad luck,. You made a right, professional decision, but you lose the bet. This situation doesnt make you so angry,
Second reason is because you made a stupid risk, you didn't control yourself enough, you wasn't patient. So you lose because you wasn't professional, you made stupid move - in this situation you will feel anger.

L

luketta7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man, it's really hard to say what to do to not get angry, because I believe everyone will be angry when that happens, but there's something you can do to maintain psychological control, after all, poker is a game of mind. For example, you can forget what happened or just take a break to cool off, like, go get a coffee, go get a drink, go talk to your girlfriend. Because playing with your head full, playing exhausted is not advisable.

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found in golf that if you naturally get angry, it's better to just get it out a little rather than to keep it bottled up where it'll explode later and cause problems. Same thing in poker, you see the best players just blow off a bit of steam after a bad beat or play and generally not get too tilted.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Study the hand. Post the hand history on this forum and maybe others. Ask for advice and read the responses. Look at the positions, stack sizes, pot odds etc. After a while you will take comfort in the fact you will know what to do in a spot lime this.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study the hand. Post the hand history on this forum and maybe others. Ask for advice and read the responses. Look at the positions, stack sizes, pot odds etc. After a while you will take comfort in the fact you will know what to do in a spot lime this.

Than you for the advice! 🙏🙏

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very difficult to deal with tilt when you start playing. With time it becomes business as usual.

P.S. Still remember losing a 350BB pot with KK against 88 and Q9s.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No way to avoid it. Just go for it.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is difficult and everyone reacts differently, but I think it is best to take a few minutes to let the anger pass.
Then analyze the play, if we play badly learn from the mistakes and if we play well stay calm because most of the time in the same play we will win
I repeat it is not as easy as saying it but you have to keep playing and not hurt yourself

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is poker! there is no guarantee that you will win.
Whatever hands you have, we can only determine the expected outcome, which does not guarantee success.
I can’t tell you how to deal with the anger I advise: change your attitude to poker, expect to lose, and accept that this is such a game!

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel angry after playing poker, you need to sort that out as it is probably not healthy, and most likely costs you money. The easiest fix would just be to take a break when you get angry, but this does not solve the core issue.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely do that.
This is because I keep in mind that even if it seems to win in mathematics, it does not necessarily mean that I will win.
Please do so by all means.

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Just bottle it up and rage on the drive home.