How to deal with anger after a bad beat?😡😡

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guys, can you give me some advice how to deal with anger and frustration after loosing a hand that you were 100% sure that you would've won?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Guys, can you give me some advice how to deal with anger and frustration after loosing a hand that you were 100% sure that you would've won?

Success at poker requires more than a positive attitude. Any hand that is not the absolute nuts is not 100% certain to win & if the player holding the absolute nuts isn't paying attention or doesn't realize what he is holding & is persuaded to fold by a bet prior to showdown he loses with an unbeatable hand.
Might try posting a hand or two here that you were 100% sure you weren't losing with. The answers should provide you with some food for thought.
By the way a very large number of so called of bad beats were in fact not bad beats but poorly played hands.

Last edited:
whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This will happen again and again and again. Do not become frustrated about this.
It won't help you to be frustrated or angry about this. It is part of the game.

Take your time to breathe, then tag this player and write a comment how he played.
Was he fishy and why? Just taking this time for tagging someone and writing a comment about him, it helps a lot to calm down.
If it was a good and solid player also tag him and think about how he played his hand, what was his reasons. Did you played before mabye wrong because of not betting enough preflop or on the flop and later. Always try to think reasonable and do not let emotions overwhelm you because of a bad beat. Especially not, when you are still sitting at the table or playing other games.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips

Turn into Rage Monster :cool:
This can be quite helpful lol ...

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

First of all, you have to understand that in poker you can never be 100% sure, it is unrealistic. I think you should always be prepared for different options and you will not have such uncontrolled emotional outbursts.

D

ddsnoops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a few deep breaths and exhale slowly, then remind yourself how many times you bad beat someone. If that doesn't work scream really load and smash the keyboard.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No point in getting mad you played the cards the way you wanted to so no one else to blame but yourself.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Success at poker requires more than a positive attitude. Any hand that is not the absolute nuts is not 100% certain to win & if the player holding the absolute nuts isn't paying attention or doesn't realize what he is holding & is persuaded to fold by a bet prior to showdown he loses with an unbeatable hand.
Might try posting a hand or two here that you were 100% sure you weren't losing with. The answers should provide you with some food for thought.
By the way a very large number of so called of bad beats were in fact not bad beats but poorly played hands.

Well, if it it's not played well that's blame on the player, but i was referring more to the cases that you got beat by luck. Well two hours ago i played ten hand with pairs, starting from 88 to AA. I lost them all and the winners had hands worst.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, if it it's not played well that's blame on the player, but i was referring more to the cases that you got beat by luck. Well two hours ago i played ten hand with pairs, starting from 88 to AA. I lost them all and the winners had hands worst.

I assume you are equally upset when you get it in bad & suck out. :D

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hi.
Daily meditation helps to control emotions very well. Try it and see for yourself.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips

Step One.
First, Google "Negativity Bias".
Read about and understand why it happens.

Step Two.
Now Google "Negativity Bias Poker".
Now read about that and understand why it happens.

Step Three.
Go and play some poker.
If you are still getting frustrated and upset, go back to Step One. Note, do not go to Step Four.

Step Four.
Enjoy your poker.

Note:- If you have got to Step Four and are still getting frustrated, best advice I can give is, go back to Step One and spend the next month trying to understand Negativity Bias. Until you do understand, you will always be upset when you lose a hand you thought you should have won.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your poker.

Last edited:
B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi.
Daily meditation helps to control emotions very well. Try it and see for yourself.

Thank you, i will try for sure :D:D

Step One.
First, Google "Negativity Bias".
Read about and understand why it happens.

Step Two.
Now Google "Negativity Bias Poker".
Now read about that and understand why it happens.

Step Three.
Go and play some poker.
If you are still getting frustrated and upset, go back to Step One. Note, do not go to Step Four.

Step Four.
Enjoy your poker.

Note:- If you have got to Step Four and are still getting frustrated, best advice I can give is, go back to Step One and spend the next month trying to understand Negativity Bias. Until you do understand, you will always be upset when you lose a hand you thought you should have won.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your poker.

That was pretty accurate and i thank you so much that you are showing me this path and i believe it will help me a lot to understand my psychic and how the game affects me. I think this is a thing for everyone to try, to know yourself better. Thnx once again :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Biohazard858. I've said it, and many other players will say it too. We have all had days of the same beats. For example, all day this past Tuesday, I got beat with every hand I played. That was on cash tables and playing MTTs. But I never tilted even a little bit. One thing I can say, I was not feeling very good and should not have been playing anyway. The best thing you can do is to work any kind of tilt out of your game. You have to say Oh Well and move on. GL luck to you

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Biohazard858. I've said it, and many other players will say it too. We have all had days of the same beats. For example, all day this past Tuesday, I got beat with every hand I played. That was on cash tables and playing MTTs. But I never tilted even a little bit. One thing I can say, I was not feeling very good and should not have been playing anyway. The best thing you can do is to work any kind of tilt out of your game. You have to say Oh Well and move on. GL luck to you
Thnx for sharing. GL to you too :D

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If it's a big unexpected loss or bad beat , I will call it a day , at least for that poker room , it depends on how much it has affected me , how much tilted I am

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Do what I am about to do.. turn off the PC and take a walk. Rough day.

P

Pibo1797

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i'm playing cash i have to leave the game because after a Bad beat i always play agressive and make bad desicions and if i'm in a tournament i try to take a break and calm my angry

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Such situations need to be seen in the context of the long term. You are unlucky today, but if you are patient and disciplined, then in the long run you have a good chance of success. Enjoy the game and never get upset.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tons and tons of so called bad beats and you may become somewhat numb to the situations. I would strongly suggest working at removing emotions from your game and then and only then will you not be phased by the day to day beats

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All poker players hate losing to a bad beat or just losing in general. However if a bad beat upsets you for more than a few seconds, then that is a problem and something, you need to work on. Many people recommend Jared Tendler "The mental game of poker" as the bible on tilt. Other than that some general tips and ideas include:

1) Be properly bankrolled for the games, you play. Not going to make this a post about bankroll management, but use the forum search function.

2) Learn to multitable and put in volume. If a typical session contain 5-10 tournaments, busting from one due to a "bad beat" is much less painfull.

3) Study variance using the free calculators on Pokerdope.com. Most people tend to underestimate the magnitude of variance in poker, and therefore they get upset about even a small "downswing", which is totally normal.

4) Set a daily stop-loss, especially if you play cash games. Few people are able to still deliver their best, if they get hit by the deck again and again in a short amount of time.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely more strategy game plan is required if a player can't deal with a bad beat. Especially if that happens often

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I once had AKs as starting cards and on the flop I hit my royal flush and I see things like that as an unbeatable hand everything else are possible winning hands but the river decides whether you really win. Most of the time you lose a strong hand because you didn't play it well and you gave the opponent too many opportunities to turn the hand for himself and give him the opportunity to take the river for himself. Just standing in front doesn't mean that you win, sometimes it depends on how you play and sometimes you just have bad luck, but mostly it depends on the game how you play. But you can learn from it by analyzing your hands and seeing what you've done wrong

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep playing online poker and you will get lots of practice at it. If you really want some practice I suggest playing more on WPN. That software is an absolute joke and the undisputed king of two and three outers. The flopped nuts are also usually just a trap to get you to put your chips in as well. Regardless if you need some practice chilling out after some bad beats play here.
Definitely more strategy game plan is required if a player can't deal with a bad beat. Especially if that happens often
This makes almost no sense. You are basically telling the OP that he needs to quit getting in with the best of it and that he needs change his strategy away from having the better hand.

Last edited:
W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotions have no place in poker . . . To be a good poker player you must be a gracious loser and winner both . . . Check your emotions at the door when playing poker.